Thread: Tips for tubes

Tips for tubes

Well, I've been bass fishing for most of my life and finally decided to fish a tube last week on urging of a friend. We did pretty decent on a tough cold front day dragging them through sparser weed cover. Wondering if other who fish tubes a lot have some tips they can give me so I can get better with them.

my favorite way to rig a tube. I simply use 1/8 or 1/4 oz bank sinkers that allow my hook to fit through the hole. darts adn glides, skips very easy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

3. Banned
    I fish them constantly. Insert 1/16 to 1/8 oz tube head hook exposed and spiral down

4. Member
    great idea ! i also flip stupid tubes too
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

5. Member
    Tubes make a great backup to the flipping jig, I also like to drag and stoke them.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    my favorite way to rig a tube. I simply use 1/8 or 1/4 oz bank sinkers that allow my hook to fit through the hole. darts adn glides, skips very easy
    I am having trouble visualizing how you insert the hook and sinker. Could you explain or illustrate? Thanks.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I am having trouble visualizing how you insert the hook and sinker. Could you explain or illustrate? Thanks.
    Drop the weight into the tube, stick the hook point into the head of the tube, hook goes thru the hole in the weight, out the bottom, then trig as normal.

slide the sinker up in the tube first. then take your ewg worm hook and insert through the center of the nose of the tube. straight down. guide the hook point through the hole of the inserted weight as you continue to Texas rig the tube.
    Derek Chance
    2021 Nitro Z19 Pro 200 Mercury ProXs
    BTS and KVD Line and Lure

9. Member
    When you are using the jig heads that go into the tube, what do you do if the head doesn't go all the way up to the front of the tube? Get a leadhead with longer hook or is it OK if the lead is not bumping up to the front of the tube?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    When you are using the jig heads that go into the tube, what do you do if the head doesn't go all the way up to the front of the tube? Get a leadhead with longer hook or is it OK if the lead is not bumping up to the front of the tube?
    Further back from the head the weight is the more of a spiral the tube will have to the bottom. Be worth trying awhile see if the fish are into it.

11. Banned
    Hookerz 1/16 oz are perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by dchance View Post
    slide the sinker up in the tube first. then take your ewg worm hook and insert through the center of the nose of the tube. straight down. guide the hook point through the hole of the inserted weight as you continue to Texas rig the tube.
    exact way I have fied a tube for years.
    it gives the bait a slim profile of just the tube and also sinks a little different too from what I have noticed vs using a big ball head type jighead or texas rigged. just make sure you rig them straight

13. Member
    The Stupid Tubehead is an awesome way to fish tubes in rock and short grass. Paul sells them over on the sponsors bait page. For wood and heavy grass I like to stick a piece of cheap stick worm up in the tube and fish a straight shank hook Texas rugged with a pegged weight in front of the tube. I also do that with the worm filler and thread it in a football jig head with a weed gyuard. That about covers me on all forms of tube fishing
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me...Phil 4:13

14. Member
    I open up 1/8 or 3/16 drop shot weights and do the same
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

15. Member
    I throw tubes A LOT. One of the few things I have tied on from ice out in spring, to it comes back in the fall.

I prefer an inserted tube head with an open hook, only because I predominately fish open water, rocks, drops and short sand grass in the Great Lakes region. As for tips and tricks, I try and use the lightest head I can that still stays in contact with the bottom. Sometimes that means up to 3/4 oz if I'm fishing in 40 or 50 feet, but you want a nice spiral on your fall. Use a little stiffer rod to drive hooks home and I prefer straight 8lb flouro, especially in deeper water. I throw them on 7'6" rods as well, because long casts= more fish in clear water.

Experiment with retrieve. Sometimes they want it pinned to the bottom just dragging along, other times they (especially smallmouth) like it with a couple violent snaps and they will get it while it falls back down.