Thinking of Repowering my 200 pro xl

I’m thinking about putting a new motor on my boat. New ones are so expensive and I love the design and ride of my boat I’d rather just get a new motor. I’m leaning towards a 225 sho cause I’d be done with buying oil. I really like the 225 pro xs to and there quit a bit cheaper. What’s your guys thoughts?

2. Member
    XS

3. Member
    keep this in mind that when repowering with a Yamaha SHO that when the warranty runs out the powerhead replacement is 10k! That's something to think about. I thought about repowering my stratos with a Suzuki 250SS.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

It really is up to you. If you have a GOOD mechanic nearby that specializes in one brand over the other then go that route. A couple of current thoughts though...(1) SHOs are not available at this moment unless you are ordering a Skeeter. (2) The 225 ProXS 2 stroke is no longer in production. You might be able to find one though. The 225 Mercury 4 stroke is available.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I'm in the same position with my 200. Really like my boat and want a new G2 on the back of it. But I decided to just run my 225HO DI into the ground first. It's a strong motor. Who knows, maybe in a couple, three years I might get the itch and make the jump to a new rig.

I priced a new g2 225 ho it was 23,900. I also priced a new 225 pro xs 4 stroke it was 15,300. Man I really didn’t realize the powerhead for the sho was that much dang. The place I called about the Mercury’s was all out of 2 stroke pro xs in 225. I can’t see that much difference in price no way I’d pay the extra. I thought about running my motor till it quit but then again why not get a little out of it while I can.

7. Member
    That's pretty high for a new G2. But, that's a good price on the 225 Pro XS too. Keep in mind you'll need new rigging and guages if you switch brands. Also, with the G2, I"d recommend the electronic hotfoot and electronic power steering. That's about 2K more than merc for that motor to motor. BUt, if you buy the G2 at certain times, you get a 10 year warranty too, which is worth a LOT!!! After having a G2, I'd not go back to the opti. Hole shot, acceleration, and top end were all better with the G2 and it used less oil. THe SHO's are good but very scarce right now. It'll be interesting to see how the new Merc 4 stroke compares. But, the G2 was VERY impressive!

I found a pretty good deal on a trade in at a dealer I trust. It’s a 2009 Optimax 225 with 110 hours. I don’t know allot about these motors other than people seem to have good luck out of them good fuel mileage and oil consumption. I’ve also heard they want run as fast as a pro xs. Any input on this motor from you guys?

9. Member
    one of the big time dealers I talked to about repowering my 201 pro xl told me to wait for the new 250 pro xs 4 stroke to come out. They tested one on a phoenix and he said hands down it out performed the 2 stroke pro xs. It burned less fuel, had better holeshot, and was faster on top end as well. The only thing I cant get past is that its so dang ugly! I mean the evinrude G2 aint the best looking motor by no means but looks like mercury said hold my beer and watch this and made one even worse lol.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

I agree there not to pretty to look at

11. Losing fish by the pound. CDN Bass's Avatar
    I just purchased a freshly rebuilt 2005 225 Pro XS for $6500 CAD with warranty... that's $5100 US.

72.6 mph best so far after 4.6 hrs.

I wouldn't spend big, big money on a big block.
    Maple syrup... I put that sh*t on everything!
    '09 Stratos 201 XL EVO DC | 250 Pro XS | Razor 4 25P | 6" JP | 10' Talons Gen 2 | 112# Ultrex | Lowrance C12 x 4 | AT | '16 RAM Rebel

12. Member
    Will you be going to a larger engine?If not there is no way I would even think about replacing the engine especially if it is dependable and has good compression.I would run it until there was no more run left in it.Then buy an engine that your favorite marine dealer sells and services.jmo,good luck to you
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

Yeah my engine still runs good just drinks the oil. My local dealer can’t get a sho till mid 2019 so looks like I’ll be waiting a while.

14. Member
    slap a 250 on it and call it a day..............but change the decal to 225 lol. In all honesty you will probably find better pricing on a 250 used or new than a 225.
    A BAD DAY OF FISHING STILL BEATS A GREAT DAY AT WORK!!

If you stay with the same brand motor that is already on it, you can save some more money. You can probably re use the same controls and gauges.

Can’t get a sho till mid 2019 so it’ll be a while.