Terrova 80 and Tracker 170 8 Gauge

Hi all, I have tried to do some research on this question but there seems to be differing opinions.

I am looking to replace my stock 12v 45 LB Minn Kota on my 2014 Pro 170 with a new Terrova 80 24v. I checked the existing wiring and it is 8 Gauge. Currently I am looking to put an extra 27 battery in the existing compartment. (will be tight but seems doable) Will 8 Gauge wiring at that distance be sufficient for 24v? Seems some people say 6 Gauge will be a better bet but that is obviously a decent undertaking and cost.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

2. Member
    The 80 has an amp draw rating of apx 56A. Go with the 6ga and a 60A breaker. Don't forget to have a method to disconnect the trolling motor from the batteries.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

3. Member
    Hmm maybe i'll just look to move the batteries to a front compartment to make the wire run of 6 easier and shorter. Looking at the Xi5 as well assuming that draws similar amperage at 24v?

4. Member
    You should be fine, I put a 24v 80lb ultrex on my 08 pt175. I called minnkota and asked them because i also have 8ga wire. They said as long as you are not over 19’ from the batteries to your plug on the boat you would be fine with 8ga. Not sure how your wires are routed you would have to check but mine runs up From the battery/fuel compartment behind the livewell and down the console side and cuts across at the bow under the front deck panel where the plug and trim switch are. I’m also running the 50a breaker that was on the boat and have had it out over a dozen times sofar this year and have had absolutely no issues and I use it A lot.

5. Banned
    You will see a longer run time with the 6ga.