Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GRR884 View Post
    Wow that sucks to pay property tax on your boat.
    Exactly...

2. Member
    I moved to GA from IL and had a 1 year old GMC truck. When they told me that I was going to pay 7% of the current value, I laughed and said that you must be mistaking. I already paid sales tax in IL when I bought it. They were not wrong, so I tell everyone before moving here, sell your cars and then buy new. I did not want to pay another 7% of taxes on a vehicle that I was only going to keep for 1-2 years more. My boat is a 2011, so my costs for that are not nearly as high. People make fun of IL, but I pay way more in total taxes in GA. However, I feel I am getting more value for what I pay in taxes. Schools, attitude , weather... Also,GA has a much better tax rate when you retire.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    IS there a registration fee as well? In Maryland (a state that once tried to tax rain) we pay 6% sales tax at the time of purchase and then a registration fee every 2 years.
    yes registration fee also applies. Yearly.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinSkinny View Post
    Exactly...

same here, I tried to argue with the tax commissioner that I already paid taxes on this vehicle in NY. Too bad I was told.

I don't understand how politicians get elected in GA of all places and then enact these crazy tax laws.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MengRanger View Post
    I moved to GA from IL and had a 1 year old GMC truck. When they told me that I was going to pay 7% of the current value, I laughed and said that you must be mistaking. I already paid sales tax in IL when I bought it. They were not wrong, so I tell everyone before moving here, sell your cars and then buy new. I did not want to pay another 7% of taxes on a vehicle that I was only going to keep for 1-2 years more. My boat is a 2011, so my costs for that are not nearly as high. People make fun of IL, but I pay way more in total taxes in GA. However, I feel I am getting more value for what I pay in taxes. Schools, attitude , weather... Also,GA has a much better tax rate when you retire.
    And you forget that the houses and neighborhoods in the Atlanta suburbs are so much nicer than in Illinois and home prices are half that of many large U.S. cities. I left Gwinnett County 15 years ago for a river that always has water--and no rush hour traffic.

My fifth wheel trailer lives in Helen, GA, however I have to keep Alabama license plates on it because I no longer have a GA drivers license.

6. Member
    Update:
    Well meet with hall county GA today. They were very helpful. And seemed to be receptive of my appeal, was surprised at how little they will accept as evidence. As there are no guide lines to tell you how to show value. They took my appeal for review. And say they will contact me.

Thanks bill and others for your help preparing.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

7. Member
    Bill2E, yes that is annual, and all due at one time. June 5th, if late they tax you for penalty

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Bill2E, yes that is annual, and all due at one time. June 5th, if late they tax you for penalty
    Thats just nuts. $1800 would cover the property tax on a $400k house in Arkansas. Of course it’s 3 times that here in GA. On houses.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

9. Member
    Bama find me a place to retire! AL sounds like boat and tax heaven.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Update:
    Well meet with hall county GA today. They were very helpful. And seemed to be receptive of my appeal, was surprised at how little they will accept as evidence. As there are no guide lines to tell you how to show value. They took my appeal for review. And say they will contact me.

Thanks bill and others for your help preparing.

Good Luck, sounds like it at work out for you.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    WOW - Glad I moved from VA many years ago. I do remember paying on my car.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

12. Member
    Well I got a letter today from Hall county GA. And to my Suprize! They accepted my $46,000 assement! Didn’t add a dime! I still feel this may be a little inflated but I was afraid to ask for less. I’m very please with the way the personal property office handled my issue. And reduced my assessment by $22,000. I will now owe 1/3 less tax each year! Thank you all that helped, contributed, supported.

needed a good win this week.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Well I got a letter today from Hall county GA. And to my Suprize! They accepted my $46,000 assement! Didn’t add a dime! I still feel this may be a little inflated but I was afraid to ask for less. I’m very please with the way the personal property office handled my issue. And reduced my assessment by $22,000. I will now owe 1/3 less tax each year! Thank you all that helped, contributed, supported.

needed a good win this week.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

In today’s markets government regulatory agencies are chasing every penny and it’s not going to get any better until we all reduce the dependency on government. The cost for managing funds collections and dispersions alone have no positive impact like roads and bridges on infrastructure.

Most people capable of buying newer boats actually work for less on a dollar than we all realize. After state taxes, fuel taxes, IRS taxes, sales taxes and property (personal) taxes we are all working for less than we usually realize. Not to mention the pricing effect on the compounded taxes, calculated against manufacture of products we all purchase daily.

in the end, the situation will take an effort by all of us to expect less, give more and accept costs deemed as required, to offer the services we all expect. Till then expect the regulatory arms to reach deeper in everyone’s pockets.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Dang! That sucks. In Louisiana, if you buy a used boat from an individual you only pay tax on the value of the trailer.
    I paid 280.00 tax on my 2016 PII. I will only pay it that one time. No property tax on the boat thereafter.
    True, but Louisiana state and local sales and use tax on a new rigs HURTS!! The original owner pays enough to cover at least the next three owners.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Dang! That sucks. In Louisiana, if you buy a used boat from an individual you only pay tax on the value of the trailer.
    I paid 280.00 tax on my 2016 PII. I will only pay it that one time. No property tax on the boat thereafter.
    True, but Louisiana state and local sales and use tax on a new rigs HURTS!! The original owner pays enough to cover at least the next three owners.

17. Member
    South Carolina is higher. It sucks
    GO VOLS

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinCPA View Post
    FACT!!!
    So far I have owned 4 USED BCB's purchased from individuals. Ole Gov Edwards got me one year when he added that special boat purchase tax that lasted a total of four months.
    I purchased 3 days inside that window. Of course he came out with it after I purchased it. So I back owed another 2k in taxes. Than he removed it.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you get kicked in the go-nads!!
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    In today’s markets government regulatory agencies are chasing every penny and it’s not going to get any better until we all reduce the dependency on government. The cost for managing funds collections and dispersions alone have no positive impact like roads and bridges on infrastructure.

Most people capable of buying newer boats actually work for less on a dollar than we all realize. After state taxes, fuel taxes, IRS taxes, sales taxes and property (personal) taxes we are all working for less than we usually realize. Not to mention the pricing effect on the compounded taxes, calculated against manufacture of products we all purchase daily.

in the end, the situation will take an effort by all of us to expect less, give more and accept costs deemed as required, to offer the services we all expect. Till then expect the regulatory arms to reach deeper in everyone’s pockets.
    Well said. I just wish everyone realized this. I dream of the day all the 'sheep' finally wake up, get out and vote, and FIRE all these parasites. From BOTH parties.

20. Member
    Wow, I read all of the posts on this thread and now holding the state of Oklahoma in higher regard. No personal property tax here for individuals, just businesses. I paid 130.00 for one year registration for the boat and outboard (each has its own registration). I am not familiar with the tax upon purchase of a new boat but excise tax on vehicles is 3.4% whether new or used. My boat is not a BC even though my next will be but I bought my 02 Ranger last October and the tax was less than 100 bucks. We have state income tax here about 7% but they don't tax SSA. Real estate taxes are extremely low, 250k home and 1100 bucks per year but only because I have owned this place for 20 years. . 9.2 percent sales tax which kinda sucks but ok. We also have new liquor laws going into effect from the vote two years ago and 3.2 beer is now dead as is very restrictive policies on the sale of wine and liquor. Now have med MJ for whatever that is worth....?? Fine lakes to fish on the central and eastern side of the state. 65 Years old gets you a 15 dollar fishing license for the rest of your life and drivers license is free after 65. Cept for tornados and freezing rain in the winter, pretty nice place to retire.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast