Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Angry State property tax

Well I just got my new Georgia tax bill on the puma. And it isn’t good. I was told to value. The boat and motor, minus trailer And accessories. So I did. They came back with $68,820 and quote nada numbers.
    I looked up nada it says my puma is worth $78,300- 62,660 with a trailer. Retail. have they lost there minds! A new fully max equipped puma isn’t 78 with a 250xp on it! And I would love for someone to offer me 68,820 for my boat. I’d leave the rods, jackets and beer in it!
    Now it is up to me to appeal the numbers.

Any ideas on how I can prove what my boat is really worth? There are very few 2017 pumas advertised. And those have been for sale for awhile and are over priced for their condition.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

2. Banned
    What is especially bad is that the NADA is being compiled by automobile people. They don't know starboard from port and chances are wouldn't know a bass boat from a dinghy.

Because there is no national marine auction source for prices, there is no information available for the NADA to base their information upon. They just find out the original MSRP and multiply that by a projected first year's depreciation. Then the values are depreciated slightly every month.

Unfortunately it is the only documentation available for tax assessors, banks, bank examinors, etc. There should be a procedure to appeal unreasonable valuations, however.

We are very fortunate in Alabama not to have personal property taxes on boats and only 2.5% sales taxes on them. Taxes was one reason we left Atlantaland--and traffic.

Note to self. Don't retire to Georgia! No sales or property tax on boats here in RI. Just the trailer is taxed.

Yea Ga is crazy with that stuff , taxes is why I moved to Alabama 25 years ago..

5. Member
    We had property tax in Arkansas. But no sales tax. But the property tax is reasonable. Like $250 a yr on a nice boat. GA wants 850$/yr at the current valuation.

Its going to be a losing fight I’m sure, but I’m willing to try. Just not sure how to go about it yet. Got the appeal form.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

6. Member
    If you have your original invoice, I would appeal the assessment by applying your own depreciation factor (something reasonable) and attempting to lower it. It's not always easy but doable.

7. Member
    I live in Whitfield County (Dalton) and my county uses another one besides NADA, ABOS Marine Blue Book. Pretty much the same result though. When I get my assessment, I visit the tax office and ask them for a check for the stated value I am taxed on. I even offer to throw in the trailer for free as the value is so unreasonable. I get a chuckle out of their squirming, but still have to pay it. I've never known anyone to appeal and win.

8. Member
    I noticed BCB's book high on Nada.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    We had property tax in Arkansas. But no sales tax. But the property tax is reasonable. Like $250 a yr on a nice boat. GA wants 850$/yr at the current valuation.
    K
    Its going to be a losing fight I’m sure, but I’m willing to try. Just not sure how to go about it yet. Got the appeal form.
    Arkansas personal property taxes are on all personal items and vehicles/boats. You pay them a year behind.

If you sell a car on January 2nd, you pay the taxes in October of the next year. Only thing worse than paying taxes is paying taxes on something you sold a year and 10 months ago.

10. Member
    We bought property in October and got this years tax bill in January. It was based on 1/3 more than we paid for it! I called and asked who was buying it as we would LOVE to make that much in such a short amount of time... Didn't work and they didn't change the amount.

11. Member
    Wow that sucks to pay property tax on your boat.
    Basscat!

12. Member
    First world problems..... My rant includes taxes on boat, extra sports car, beach condo.

13. Member
    I pay about $500 on my 2012 puma. I always said that the government should have to be willing to buy it at the assessed value.
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

14. Member
    I don’t mind paying my share. And am blessed to be able to afford and pay the taxes on many things. But I find it ridiculous to pay based on a totally unreasonable and unfounded number that isn’t within 25% of what my boat is actually worth. I guess it must help if your going to the bank to borrow money for it. Still Hoping one of you has the golden answer.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

15. Member
    Dang! That sucks. In Louisiana, if you buy a used boat from an individual you only pay tax on the value of the trailer.
    I paid 280.00 tax on my 2016 PII. I will only pay it that one time. No property tax on the boat thereafter.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

16. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    First world problems..... My rant includes taxes on boat, extra sports car, beach condo.
    My best friend lived in North Dallas, and when his property hit $50k he sold the house and moved into a rental. His house in Seaside (FL) taxes are $12k per year and he is not complaining.

We live in Alabama and our main residence has no property taxes because my wife is on disability. And our state is stone broke and cannot afford to fund decent schools and Medicaid.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunhunter67 View Post
    Dang! That sucks. In Louisiana, if you buy a used boat from an individual you only pay tax on the value of the trailer.
    I paid 280.00 tax on my 2016 PII. I will only pay it that one time. No property tax on the boat thereafter.
    What's the trailer worth 5600?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

18. Member

I have a 17 truck and a 16Caracal my personal property tax in AR is 1100 per year.

19. Member

WHAT? When did you leave Ar.? Is now 10.5% SALES TAX on ENTIRE price of boat purchase here. PLUS D--N Property tax. 5 years to retirement and I'm OUT of here.

20. Member
    So glad I bought mine across the river in AL.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast