Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by David g View Post
    Wow, I read all of the posts on this thread and now holding the state of Oklahoma in higher regard. No personal property tax here for individuals, just businesses. I paid 130.00 for one year registration for the boat and outboard (each has its own registration). I am not familiar with the tax upon purchase of a new boat but excise tax on vehicles is 3.4% whether new or used. My boat is not a BC even though my next will be but I bought my 02 Ranger last October and the tax was less than 100 bucks. We have state income tax here about 7% but they don't tax SSA. Real estate taxes are extremely low, 250k home and 1100 bucks per year but only because I have owned this place for 20 years. . 9.2 percent sales tax which kinda sucks but ok. We also have new liquor laws going into effect from the vote two years ago and 3.2 beer is now dead as is very restrictive policies on the sale of wine and liquor. Now have med MJ for whatever that is worth....?? Fine lakes to fish on the central and eastern side of the state. 65 Years old gets you a 15 dollar fishing license for the rest of your life and drivers license is free after 65. Cept for tornados and freezing rain in the winter, pretty nice place to retire.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

At what point in time do we control taxes by stopping services? At what point in time do we as taxpayers demand returns for our “investment” in government. The Tea Party drove what is today a dead message. When one looks at the numbers on fuel road taxes, import tariffs from foreign countries, sales taxes, county property taxes, state income taxes, federal income taxes it’s overwhelming.

At what point do we realize we have to change something as it can’t keep funding services, boat ramps, roads, parks, programs, people?

Rick

3. Member
    Wow, I guess I have been living under a shell. I did not realize that states charge personal property tax on items such as boats and vehicles. Apparently, things are quite good here in Wisconsin. 5.5% sales tax at time of original purchase (after trade) and that is it along with $5 title fee for boats 16' or greater. Registration is $37 for two years for boats 16'-26' in length. Auto registration is $75 per year and 1/2 ton to 1 ton trucks are $106 per year. I will never complain again about any of these fees.

4. Member
    To answer BCB’s question. IMO the people who pay into the tax base with luxury items like this, or a biz license, etc...don’t begrudge paying taxes. Seeing audits that anyone can read from local to the federal level done by a third party would be a great start. Private biz is mandated to endure such audits by our so called leadership. I don’t think we have a tax base problem as much as a government spending problem.

On Point exactly...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    At what point in time do we control taxes by stopping services? At what point in time do we as taxpayers demand returns for our “investment” in government. The Tea Party drove what is today a dead message. When one looks at the numbers on fuel road taxes, import tariffs from foreign countries, sales taxes, county property taxes, state income taxes, federal income taxes it’s overwhelming.

At what point do we realize we have to change something as it can’t keep funding services, boat ramps, roads, parks, programs, people?

Rick
    Rick, I ask my self that question daily. Simple answer-most people just don't care to step up and join the fight. Most people are so short sighted about the "swamp" around them, they just don't care. I work over here in Rogers at a plant where I've been for 39 years. Every time this subject comes up, most will roll their eyes and detach. Much more important things to be concerned with such as sports or their newest cell phone they're so proud of. But, everyone seems to find time to gripe when it's income or property tax time. I just love to smile, look them in the eyes, and say you keep reelecting them. So, pay up and enjoy it. You all are just too busy to do anything about it, aren't you.

7. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post

Rick
    Rick, I'd like to think that folks are starting to wake up to this. Only time will tell. Q
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    WHAT? When did you leave Ar.? Is now 10.5% SALES TAX on ENTIRE price of boat purchase here. PLUS D--N Property tax. 5 years to retirement and I'm OUT of here.
    I was referring to used boats. only sales tax on new boats. None on used, as most state have a used tax.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Yea Kansas is the same way, it's crazy, The trick was have a friend that lived in Missouri and use his address to register your boat and trailer.

10. Member
    Somehow Gwinnett County decided that the value of my depreciating asset, IE BOAT, has gone up in value from what it was last year by over 1K. Boy I wish my boat would increase in price. At least with Gwinnett you can use an online form to dispute the value an provide screen shots from other websites as your proof. I've done it for the past 2 years and won.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    WHAT? When did you leave Ar.? Is now 10.5% SALES TAX on ENTIRE price of boat purchase here. PLUS D--N Property tax. 5 years to retirement and I'm OUT of here.
    Actually it is 6.5% on the boat, motor, and accessories collected by the dealer. Depending on where you buy your boat the local tax rate is capped at $2,500 so for example if you bought a boat in the city limits of Bentonville whose local tax rate is 2% city and 1% county which is total of 3% then you would pay $75 (3%x$2,500) on top of the 6.5% of the price of the boat. Sales tax on the trailer is collected at the Revenue Office at the time of registration and typically dealers will itemize the trailer at $3,999 so there will be no sales tax due on the trailer unless the dealer itemizes the trailer $4,000 and above.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Actually it is 6.5% on the boat, motor, and accessories collected by the dealer. Depending on where you buy your boat the local tax rate is capped at $2,500 so for example if you bought a boat in the city limits of Bentonville whose local tax rate is 2% city and 1% county which is total of 3% then you would pay $75 (3%x$2,500) on top of the 6.5% of the price of the boat. Sales tax on the trailer is collected at the Revenue Office at the time of registration and typically dealers will itemize the trailer at $3,999 so there will be no sales tax due on the trailer unless the dealer itemizes the trailer $4,000 and above.
    And am I right in saying that Arkansas ad valorem taxes are not paid until October of the next year? That means you could sell a boat on January 5th and not pay the taxes until a year and 10 months later. That was the way it used to be on automobiles.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    And am I right in saying that Arkansas ad valorem taxes are not paid until October of the next year? That means you could sell a boat on January 5th and not pay the taxes until a year and 10 months later. That was the way it used to be on automobiles.
    Yes. Property taxes are due in October and you pay for the previous year, you have to assess your personal property by the end of May I believe so once you assess and get your tax bill you can pay whenever between then and October. My vehicle registration is due in March so I always assess my personal property in January so it gets in the DMV system in time. I bought my new truck last year in March and added it to my assessment so I could register it and I will be paying the personal property taxes on it for the first time this year.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Well, thanks for correcting me. Makes me feel a little better about how much I"'ll be bled for when I buy my next and probably last new boat later this or next year.

15. Member
    Well explained cestratton. I knew all that kinda but never that detailed. Us Texarkana AR residents are also AR state income Tax exempt. Then I move to GA. This place is crazy taxed. Hell I thought MO was bad. GA has them beat.

I agree spending and not being held accountable Are huge tax issues. But also the complicated tax system on all levels, in all states. makes it impossible to keep track of how much we are actually tax on our income by the time it is spent on capital that is taxed over and over.

guess I’m not smart enough to help fix it. But I did stand up to them giving a BS evaluation on my boat. Just pleased to get a win. Even if it was small.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

16. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    A lot of things need to be changed. We need term limits on congress and they ALL need a huge pay cut! Those elected positions were never intended to be for people to make a career out of and draw a retirement off of with full medical benefits. They are the biggest leeches government.

Until recent Kansas had a “luxury” tax. A boat being a luxury they set the property tax at a ridiculous rate. When I was fishing a bunch I had a pretty new boat. State law said they taxed the boat as to where it sat on January 1st. Well, on January 1st anyone who had half a brain had their boats sitting in Missouri on January 1st. Wala! No personal property tax had to be paid. Of course they caught on to that eventually and changed the wording. But, to their credit personal property taxes on boats and RVs has dropped dramatically.

I also used to write off the tax I paid for fuel for the boat every year. That tax (state) is used (or supposed to be) for maintaining roads partly. The fuel in my boat wasn’t burned on the road. I don’t fish like I used to so I don’t worry about it anymore. But back when I fished 4 times a week it would add up.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Well explained cestratton. I knew all that kinda but never that detailed. Us Texarkana AR residents are also AR state income Tax exempt. Then I move to GA. This place is crazy taxed. Hell I thought MO was bad. GA has them beat.
    But I understand that retirees get big tax breaks in Georgia which makes it a good place to retiree to.

We left Gwinnett County 15 years ago for the backwater of Alabama. Our Megacorp was downsizing and closing operations there, and I knew everyone was going to be retired early.

I was looking for a lake or river that always has water. We have minor personal property taxes on cars but not boats. Property taxes on a $400k house in the county are $1,100--cheap. Our main residence has no property taxes since my wife was disabled. Social security and defined pensions have no state income taxes, either.

We came out ahead moving. And having the best big smallmouth and big catfish fishing in our front yard is worth a lot.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234