Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Heethen View Post
    WHAT? When did you leave Ar.? Is now 10.5% SALES TAX on ENTIRE price of boat purchase here. PLUS D--N Property tax. 5 years to retirement and I'm OUT of here.
    That was why I bought a very slightly use boat, instead of new. Used boat you only pay property tax on no sales tax. In Arkansas

Arkasas is still on of the least taxed states.. I’ve lived in Tx, MD, MO, Ar, And now GA.

Georgia charges sales tax on new also. Plus the property tax bill I just got.

just a note of interest cars and trucks. Here in GA you pay ad-Val tax on. It’s paid on new or used. I had to pay over 5k up front to get my truck,vette, car, and 3 Harley’s into Ga. and register them. but at least after that you don’t owe property tax on them each year.
    First state that ever charged me big tax on stuff I owned for years.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JINXBASS View Post
    I pay about $500 on my 2012 puma. I always said that the government should have to be willing to buy it at the assessed value.
    I one county over and my 07 Puma is around $600. Gotta love it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanker4lyfe View Post
    So glad I bought mine across the river in AL.
    technically, doesn't matter where you buy it...if it's located in GA you have to pay personal property tax on it every year!!! I argued it was illegal, double taxation, because I paid sales tax on it when purchased. They said too bad.

Do what everyone else in GA does.....IGNORE THE TAX BILL!

4. Member
    Don't move to Va, just got my PPT bill a week ago, 2017 skeeter zx250, boat and trailer = $1800 SOB, I almost fell in the floor

5. Member
    I know my state sucks out loud, Illinois but at least you only pay taxes on ,boat, truck, one time and you're done,but they tax the hell out of everything else!

6. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    Damn I left some money on the table!!!!!!
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    That was why I bought a very slightly use boat, instead of new. Used boat you only pay property tax on no sales tax. In Arkansas

just a note of interest cars and trucks. Here in GA you pay ad-Val tax on. It’s paid on new or used. I had to pay over 5k up front to get my truck,vette, car, and 3 Harley’s into Ga. and register them. but at least after that you don’t owe property tax on them each year.
    First state that ever charged me big tax on stuff I owned for years.
    good to know. I’ve been looking at a job in GA and moving my ski boat in. At least I’m prepared for the stroke.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KramerDk View Post
    good to know. I’ve been looking at a job in GA and moving my ski boat in. At least I’m prepared for the stroke.
    I got my ad-Val tax as part of my moving package. Or I’d still be an AR resident. Or at least it would look that way.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

Quote Originally Posted by Jetboy View Post
    Well I just got my new Georgia tax bill on the puma. And it isn’t good. I was told to value. The boat and motor, minus trailer And accessories. So I did. They came back with $68,820 and quote nada numbers.
    I looked up nada it says my puma is worth $78,300- 62,660 with a trailer. Retail. have they lost there minds! A new fully max equipped puma isn’t 78 with a 250xp on it! And I would love for someone to offer me 68,820 for my boat. I’d leave the rods, jackets and beer in it!
    Now it is up to me to appeal the numbers.

Any ideas on how I can prove what my boat is really worth? There are very few 2017 pumas advertised. And those have been for sale for awhile and are over priced for their condition.

i literally just bought that same boat and paid much less. Want a copy of my Bill of Sale..

what hat type of tax are they charging?
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Don't move to Va, just got my PPT bill a week ago, 2017 skeeter zx250, boat and trailer = $1800 SOB, I almost fell in the floor

Is that annual? Ouch
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

11. Member
    They do the same in KY. I paid sales tax on my used 08 Cougar then about 450 a year after that. They also go off the NADA rate, too many people had said they bought something for a real low value. When I lived there if you bought a new vehicle you paid sales tax on the MSRP value not trade difference. One year I paid in about 6K in state taxes for vehicles (bought a brand new 50K truck) and owned a bout, Harley, plus two two other nice vehicles. KY has since changed that law and allows trade difference on new.

People that haven’t lived outside of TN gripe about our high 9.75% sales tax, but we don’t have personal property tax. I’ll pay the extra couple percent one time. I think I paid about 70.00 to register my 2017 Ranger for 3 years?

Vote for different county politicians until they get the message. Or, do like we did and move. The biz we ran also moved. That cost the state about 20M a year.

12. Member
    I don’t understand how NADA is so far off. How do they get there numbers? Don’t get me wrong I’m glad for those trying to finance or insure with the inflated prices. As it helps. But to have numbers for 3 or 4 yr old boat that are over new price? I also don’t understand how they are about the only widely used bench mark.
    and wonder Is it only the bass cats or is it all the makes?
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

13. Member
    GA sucks when it comes to taxes like this.

When I first moved here, I was sent a bill for past due advalorem tax for my boat and one of the my vehicles. I argued that those properties items were still located in NY, they said too bad, didn't matter where the property was located only where i live.

And I don't get this PPT stuff. We pay sales tax when we buy it, how can they tax it again? Over the life of my boat, and including sales tax, i'll end up paying 22% of the boat's purchase price in tax. That's crazy.

I've ignored those PPT bills now for about 9 years and have not had an issue. Many of my fishing friends do the same.

14. Member
    Take them the papers showing what you paid? I would think that would do it.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    What's the trailer worth 5600?
    Bass Cat trailer. I believe worth around 3600.00.
    The point was, I didn't have to pay state tax on the full purchase price. nor a yearly property tax thereafter.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

Quote Originally Posted by geobass View Post
    Take them the papers showing what you paid? I would think that would do it.
    I live in KY and I bought a 1 year old 2014 used Puma from an individual in MO for 46 and there was no sales tax. But they valued it in mid-upper 60s for property taxes. I showed them the paperwork of what I paid and they quickly agreed to reduced the value to what I paid for it. After I returned home, I discovered several days later the value figure on the property tax paperwork was 38K. I don't know if she mistakenly entered 38 instead of 46, or whether she liked me. So I ended up with 30K being knocked off their original valuation. I was a happy camper that they used vaseline.

In '92 I bought a new boat for 18 OTD, and it was accessed in mid 20s the following year. I did the same thing then, showing them the paperwork, and they took that 18K number with 10% depreciation and valued it at 16.

So OP that's how I'd try to get a fair value on it. Calmly discuss it, that the valuation should be reasonable, show them the paperwork, avoid getting into an argument mode and never use that well I'll sell it to you for that price talk. They get tired of hearing that one. If everything fails, and they won't budge, calmly let them know you will vote for someone who is fair and reasonable during the next election. Good Luck.

17. Member
    IS there a registration fee as well? In Maryland (a state that once tried to tax rain) we pay 6% sales tax at the time of purchase and then a registration fee every 2 years.

The only boat I've ever bought in GA was in another county (Gwinnett). I kept getting bills from Gwinnett county for the boat. I would send them back saying I've never lived there and boat was never stored there.

The other two I bought in AR and LA. Cobb county never caught up with me for either boat so far.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    IS there a registration fee as well? In Maryland (a state that once tried to tax rain) we pay 6% sales tax at the time of purchase and then a registration fee every 2 years.
    Yes but the boat is through DNR and the trailer through DMV.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

20. Banned
    Pickwick Lake is where MS, TN and AL come together in the map. So many people with waterfront homes and condos actually live in Memphis and buy their lakefront mcmansions and boats in Tennessee. If they would just drive 15 minutes longer on better roads, they could be paying 2.5% sales taxes on the boats--5.5% less. Property taxes in Alabama are 25% or less.than the taxes of Tennessee. And lake frontage and fine homes are so much cheaper upriver. Mississippi taxes are also high on some items.

My favorite local Alabama boater has a 127 foot Christensen superyacht displacing 350 tons. And it cost almost as much as a Gulfstream jet. You think he lives in Alabama for a reason? 2.5% sales tax and no personal property tax on the boat helps. His lake house is 28,000 square feet with a freshwater pool as big as a football field and his property taxes are only $5,000 per year. The yacht often is docked in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and sees a lot of the Caribbean.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast