Talon Install with a Power Switch?

Hi all,

about to install my 12' Talon on my bass tracker. Does everyone use a power switch to shut this talon on/off when not in use? Just curious how that works. Thanks

2. Member
    Yes I did. Cause if I'm off shore or driving down the highway they don't have power.

Yes Minn Kota even recommends it. This is info that is in your owners guide.

Here is what I used...https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Batter...connect+switch

4. Member
    Yes, the TALON draws power even when not in use.

5. Member
    Great, Thank you all.

6. BBC SPONSOR
    I recommend installing a breaker or switch in order to cut the power so they dont draw any current. Power poles are even worse, they constantly draw without a switch.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

7. Banned
    To have an easy accessibility to power o and off the Talons at the console I used automotive relays.
    Installed them in the battery compartment and ran the thin wire upto the dash where I connected it up to an unused "acc" switch.
    Easy on, easy off, and when I turn off the main power switch the power is cut to the Talon relays as well.
    Great for those Alzheimer moments

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-wayne View Post
    To have an easy accessibility to power o and off the Talons at the console I used automotive relays.
    Installed them in the battery compartment and ran the thin wire upto the dash where I connected it up to an unused "acc" switch.
    Easy on, easy off, and when I turn off the main power switch the power is cut to the Talon relays as well.
    Great for those Alzheimer moments
    Similar here. I have a single Talon that is switched by a 40A Bosch-style relay with diode-protection (to prevent any voltage spikes at shut-off) just inside the hull near the battery. The relay coil is grounded near the battery, so I only had to run a single + wire from the fuse block below the console to the battery compartment. So when the master power switch goes on, the relay energizes and connects the Talon to power. The closer you can install the relay to the battery, the better... just don't install the relay near any pucks (probably a good idea to keep the relay away from your transducer cable(s) as well, though not sure it would have any effect).

While it may seem like a good idea for those who have a tendency to forget turning off switches, if you go the relay route for Talon power, don't put the coil on the "purple" circuit... put it on your master or an acc switch so you can deploy/retract when the ignition is off.

Ditto, i used marine relays....
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

I just use the quick disconnects.
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water