Thread: NEMA 2000?

NEMA 2000?

Do you guys tie your NEMA 2000 in to master power so it is on all day or do you tie it in to the key switch so it is only on when the engine is running?? Keep in mind I only need NEMA 2000 for engine data and fuel tank level because I run Humminbird and it has it's own either not not dependent on NEMA 2000 to share nav and sonar data.

2. Member
    I have mine on master.

I tie mine into the master power as I use this network for a Point 1 antenna which provides my heading information. That being said, you wouldn't want to tie it into your master power if you don't have a master power cutoff switch that you are in the habit of using else the network will leach power all the time.

Sounds like you could get by with tying it to the key switch if you're certain you wouldn't need it any other time than when that key is on. I also tend to wonder if there's any delay in the network "getting going" such that it might take a minute or two after you turn the key before you start getting readings. It's probably worth playing with and, if you find that there is some delay or think that you might want to view something (fuel level, for instance) when the key is not on, consider wiring to the master power IF you have a cutoff switch that you'll use or wiring through a switch otherwise that you can turn on when you're on the water then flip off when you're done for the day.

If power consumption on the water is a concern, I'd suggest not to worry about that. Power draw is minimal and won't be an issue provided your cranking battery is good. It'd be the overnight leach that you'd get from not having it switched at all that would become the problem.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

4. Banned
    mines tied into the dedicated blue sea fuse block which also has a main power cut off

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I made a post about this a year ago. If you want to run a NMEA system yet isolate the Gauges when the engine isn't running.

You can hook up the Honda Gauges and a power Tee with the power coming off the ignition. Put a tee in and drill out the power pin. Then hook up the rest of the Tee with heading, GPS, stuff that you need powered up while fishing and power it off the Master switch.

This way the engine gauges only turn on when you start the engine. Yet doesn't turn off the GPS or Heading sensor, etc.

I had an issue at night when fishing the Gauges stayed on and the glow lite up the console area and shinned in my partners eyes. This solved it and was worth the trouble.

Here is the pin numbers, You can break off the male end or drill out the female side.
    http://www.interfacebus.com/NMEA-2000_Standard.html

Garmin also make a tee that does this, but its 20.00 or so.

https://www.boemarine.com/garmin-nme...-isolator.html
    Last edited by Hickory Legend; 05-16-2018 at 11:12 PM.

Mine is on the master .My master kills everything