From Tracker to Z19

3 years ago, I bought my first boat - a Tracker 175TXW with a whopping 60HP Mercury. I’m now about to purchase a Z19 with the 200 PROXS. Those of you that have had a similar transition, was there something that you wished someone had told you before you upgraded? Basically, I’m trying to know what I don’t know! The biggest changes are... I’m going from aluminum to fiberglass - any lessons learned? Small motor with top speed of 30mph to one that can hit 70. Four stroke to two stroke (are the two strokes harder to maintain)? I’m fired up about this, but somewhat anxious. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Rick2018; 05-16-2018 at 07:33 AM.

2. Member
    I went from a Ranger Z118 with a 150 so not quite as drastic a change but still different.

There will be similarities, like both will keep your feet dry while on the water. Kind of ends there. The Z19 is bigger but still very maneuverable. Coming up on plane still amazes me. It just shoots up with very little nose rise. At about 60 mph it feels like it is just cruising. Up to 69 mph, which mine will do, it takes a lot more driver skill than I have to keep it from chine walking. I prefer to just trim it down and let it cruise at a little slower, more comfortable pace. Loading it is very easy after I learned not to put the trailer so deep. I kept drifting over the fenders until I figured out it needs to be a bit shallower than my previous boats. You will absolutely appreciate the roominess compared to the Tracker. I have more room than I need unless I take a couple of the grandkids with me but then at times a yacht wouldn't be big enough. Storage is plentiful, I don't even use the back boxes. I've never owned a 4 stroke so can't say much about them but I don't think maintenance is any more or less other than you won't have to worry about oil changes with a 2 stroke.

Lot's more I could say but you will figure it out. You will find it will do everything your Tracker did, only bigger and faster.
    Last edited by jtrac; 05-16-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Jim
    2023 Triton 19 TRX Patriot, gunmetal/carbon mist/silver mist, 225 Merc Pro XS, SN 3B265119

3. Member
    Take your time teaching yourself behind the wheel. Your boat may chine walk... this is totally normal. Some don't care and want to adjust their boat so it never walks. That's fine, but I highly recommend not to make any adjustments until you can "drive" your boat to it's full potential and keep it from walking.

Also a big thing to know is when you're at full throttle and full trim... never leave off the foot pedal without trimming down first. This can cause the boat to severely cut to the side. Trim down first and then let off the power. Remember throttle = power, trim = speed.

I'm a 2 stroke 4 life kind of guy. Not hard at all to maintain. Just add oil (no oil changes), change your gear lube, fuel filter, air filter, water impeller once a year and clean your compressor strainer as needed, spark plugs once a year, and a few other things.

Good luck and enjoy your new boat.
    2015 Nitro Z-7 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I’ve never been in a boat over 55mph, so I’ll definately have to take my time getting a feel for it. I’ve watched several videos about chine walking. Glad I did or it would scare the heck out of me the first time it happens.

And thanks for the tip about trimming down prior to letting off the throttle. Never heard that before and will certainly do a little more research.

5. Member
    You will like it. As far as motor from what I been hearing this is the last year for Pro xs.