2018 ProXS dies after long idle

Moter dies during long idle . First happened at Lake Fork in Feb when I was there all week and lots of idling on that lake. Dealer suggested pumping bulb to restart until I got back and they replaced the fuel pump . Tonight I drew #1 on local tournament and idleing through the no wake zone with 60 boats behind me it did it again as 10 boats passed me by as I pumped the bulb to get it started again. I’m frustrated at this point to say the least any suggestions greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    What battery do you have for the cranker?

could have something to do with the gas tank vent.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Are you pumping the bulb firm before EVERY engine start?

Check clamps/fittings between fuel tank and pulse fuel pump (inside the cowling). ANY air leak (even the slightest) will cause this.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Im not pumping the bulb before every start even though I suspect that would prevent it from dieing on me during long idles. I cant imagine having to do this on a tournament bass boat ( waste of time ) . I would rather fix the problem than nurse something thats not right . I will share your suggestion with my dealer about the clamps/fittings thank you sir .

6. Member
    Had the same problem and replaced the bulb and that fixed it.

George Brock

2015 920 Pro/XP
    2015 Mercury 250 Pro/XS
    Twin 8' Powerpole Blades

7. Member
    I had a 2010 200 pro xs that did that. They changed everything on the boat but the gas tank. Never fixed it. Till the motor blow up with 345 hrs and once they put a new powerhead on it quit doing it.

8. Member
    Pulse fuel pump.

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by taratula2 View Post
    Im not pumping the bulb before every start even though I suspect that would prevent it from dieing on me during long idles. I cant imagine having to do this on a tournament bass boat ( waste of time ) . I would rather fix the problem than nurse something thats not right . I will share your suggestion with my dealer about the clamps/fittings thank you sir .
    Bulb should be pumped before every engine start on models requiring a primer bulb (this one is one of those engines).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Don,

Can you please clarify...do you mean pump before each day of fishing (first start)or each time we start on the water during a day of fishing? I think the op is thinking the later.

11. Member
    He means every engine start. Don has repeatedly posted, due to quality of today's "fuel" and tendency to vaporize in the line (especially if lines are exposed to sunlight), it's important to pump bulb prior to every engine start to ensure liquid fuel is supplied to the pulse pump which is designed to pump liquids not vapors.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

Does all the fuel in the vst vaporize too? Seems like a lot of fuel in there to vaporize off before worrying about sucking air through the pump.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet02 View Post
    Does all the fuel in the vst vaporize too? Seems like a lot of fuel in there to vaporize off before worrying about sucking air through the pump.
    NO, but enough can vaporize to result in vapor pockets or rapidly running out of fuel. Varies with different VST configurations, but in all of them, the diaphram/pulse pump FEEDS the VST it's fuel.

If there is not liquid fuel at the pulse pump, you WILL run out of fuel in the VST (sooner or later, probably sooner).

14. Member
    Thanks for the replies gentelman this will help me to fix or deal with the issue

15. Member
    Follow up on my post . My dealer replaced for the second time under warranty the pulse fuel pump and I have had no further issues. ��