hit a floater today

On my way back to the ramp this evening. Glanced down at the GPS for just a second. Looked up at here's a tree as big as the boat headed right towards me. Didn't see any damage to the hull and motor still operated properly. Broke my transducer. Was running 63 GPSin a Javelin 389T. Think I hurt anything or did I get lucky this time?

Sounds like you got lucky. At that speed, it should have broken if it hit anything. Hate those dang floaters.

3. Member
    Bent my prop shaft 2 weeks ago- in shop now. I probably hit 20 trees n April , about 7-8 big ones just floating— boats are tuff

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Did it last year with mine....I took it to the shop and let them go thru lower unit before I took it back out....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    I would check your seals, drain your lower unit and look for water....peace of mine to ensure just oil remains.

6. iNCORRECT pOLITICALLY
    Did you check the hull really close for spider cracking? Several years ago my buddy hit a floater at night in 120' of water and ruined his prop. Luckily he was just barely broke over like he normally runs at night. Just another small battle scar on the old Stratos. OMC did make some great boats.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

7. Member
    Check your prop shaft, and prop.

Buddy of mine hit one last week , took lower off the boat , broken transom.. Pretty sure it totaled his boat . It was a Z 9 . He said he never saw it , was just under surface ..

9. Member
    Looks like the keel guard took most of the impact. Prop and prop shaft appear to be in good shape. Time will tell I guess

Damn floaters are the scary part of running WOT. You just never know when they'll rear their ugly head!!!!
    Just can't leave well enough alone!!

98 Stratos 273 w/ 150 Faststrike

If the prop shaft is bent it will take out the seals and let water inside. For piece of mind it would be best to have the lower unit pressure tested for seal leakage. Hopefully you got lucky and no serious damage.

This time of year I never Go WOT for that reason especially from the river to the dam . West point is full of floaters in the spring

13. mikesxpress
    Trim the engine down. Both feet on the cavitation plate and bear hug the cowling. Bounce on the engine while a buddy looks at the transom and bottom of the hull for flex. Not a thorough exam but it can show if you have catastrophic damage to the transom or stringers.

14. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    When i had the accident, i had the camera on looking at the lower unit when it happened.....you dont ever get that "lucky" to catch it on video....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

15. Member
    inspect everything and see

Motor could be fine and still have busted stringers.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

Quote Originally Posted by Will Seyler View Post
    On my way back to the ramp this evening. Glanced down at the GPS for just a second. Looked up at here's a tree as big as the boat headed right towards me. Didn't see any damage to the hull and motor still operated properly. Broke my transducer. Was running 63 GPSin a Javelin 389T. Think I hurt anything or did I get lucky this time?
    I'm glad no one was hurt and nothing serious happened to your boat!! Here's a pic of a submerged railroad tie that I hit in my fish-N-ski a few years back. It was about 6" below the surface. Didn't see it until it was too late. I was on plane going about 40 mph. Hit it with the keel which had a keel guard on it, and I guess drove it deeper, thankfully. Put a huge gash in the tie with the skeg. I was lucky too...no damage. My boys and I tied a rope on it and drug it to the shore. They're heavy to start with but a waterlogged tie - back breaking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2013 Phoenix 721 ProXP