Thread: New motor

New motor

Might need a new motor for my 1988 ranger,it has a Johnson fast strike 150 on it now. Would like some recommendations on a motor and maybe the best place to purchase from. Thanks Bob

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Okay, buy a 150 G2 Evinrude from Knox Marine.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    or dixie if south of middle of state
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Thanks for the answers, here's what I have going on. I think that the lower unit is going out on my motor, trying to figure out if it's worth repairing or just replace it. Motor runs fine but I don't know if putting more money into it makes sense.

5. Member
    I like in the very north east part of Ohio, maintenance supervisor at mosquito late state park

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You are a ways from Knox and even farther from Dixie, but that wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me if I wanted top notch service. I don’t know the engine dealers in your part of the state, but questionable service is worse than top-notch service that is 2 hours away. Knox does all their service on an appointment basis—assuming it’s something that can be fixed in a day or less—and that saves a ton of aggravation compared to dropping off your boat and waiting 2 months for a call.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 05-16-2018 at 04:28 PM.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Until June 30th you can get 8-years of factory coverage or various options of rigging or low interest financing.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

8. Member
    I just re-powered to an Evinrude G2 150HO from a 2004 Johnson 150 on a 2004 Stratos 285ProXL. Let me just say that the G2 is a beast you can only believe once you get in and get it on plane. Felt like Maverick in Top Gun.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Until June 30th you can get 8-years of factory coverage or various options of rigging or low interest financing.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bonemonger View Post
    I like in the very north east part of Ohio, maintenance supervisor at mosquito late state park
    It would still be a haul but Thayer's Marine in CT is one of the leading Evinrude dealers in the country. Might be worth a call. I would guess 5-7 hours from you.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If there isn't a connecting rod thru thru then I'd repair the lower unit. Although I love to see sales of motors, it is a lot cheaper to repair the unit. Unless your Ranger is your boat for life, you'll never recover the cost of the repower.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    If there isn't a connecting rod thru thru then I'd repair the lower unit. Although I love to see sales of motors, it is a lot cheaper to repair the unit. Unless your Ranger is your boat for life, you'll never recover the cost of the repower.
    It's a1988 faststrike, I don't know if it has a connecting rod or not. Never had it appart

13. Member
    It has 6 connecting rods. Champ's point was if one isn't sticking out of the side of the block, it's cheaper to fix the lower unit in the long run. I went new 150 HO G2 for the 10 year warranty and plan on keeping my hull a long time.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bonemonger View Post
    It's a1988 faststrike, I don't know if it has a connecting rod or not. Never had it appart
    If it is an 88 then it is a GT or XP FastStrike/Intruders came out in 1991. My point a Buccaneer said is unless you are going to keep the boat forever you won't recoup the cost of the motor when you decide to sell it. I'd fix the gear case but that is just my opinion.

15. Member
    Thanks for the advice, I'll probably end up getting a lower unit. At my age buying a new boat doesn't make sense. Thanks for all the advice

16. Member
    You’re not too far away to contact Eddie, Gearcaseman on here, and drag her down to Chattanooga and get it fixed right or pull it and send it to him.

17. Member
    Okay I've decided to replace the lower unit, where is the best place to buy one from. Thanks Bob

18. Member
    It's a gt150,if that makes any difference

SEI would be a good choice for new and 3 year warranty. $800 or so depending on what you may need.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.