Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Dreaded hull blister diagnosiis

Had my rig in to have a little glass work done and new keel gaurd when I get the call.. They were every where the bunks touched the boat. Some of the gel is gone and flaking off. Made me sick. I never would have known if I had not had the boat off the trailer as it looked perfectly fine on the trailer. Hopefully my experience might save y’all some heart ache before yours get as bad as mine. Find a way to raise them up and check them. And replace your carpet if yours is matted down and not allowing water to drain away. I have an appointment with Toledo fiberglass the end of June and am going to try their Gorrila hull.

2. BBC SPONSOR
    What model and year?

3. Member
    Had them on on 2004 TR196 in the same place. It sucked. I ended up selling the boat due to the expense of the repair. I asked why this happened and my dealer claimed multiple causes bad carpet, pressure treated lumber when I replaced my bunks and the 2004 gel coat mixture after the EPA law changes. Whatever the reason was it was sickening to see.
    Brad Krone

4. Member
    Same on my 06 TR20X, had a Gator Hull put on in Dec 17.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by limit5bass View Post
    What model and year?
    It’s an 04 21x. I figured I can thank the government EPA changes for the most of it. My carpet on the bunks is matted down but Intack. Has anyone tried turning these in on insurance?

6. Member
    yea me good luck with that, warranty they laughed, bottom came off in sheets, not structural, oh well
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 6BOOMER View Post
    Same on my 06 TR20X, had a Gator Hull put on in Dec 17.
    and me too hate it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Post a picture of it when it slides off the trailer on the ramp next time you unload it

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    It’s an 04 21x. I figured I can thank the government EPA changes for the most of it. My carpet on the bunks is matted down but Intack. Has anyone tried turning these in on insurance?
    An Allstate adjuster met me at the dealer. He was shocked to see that on a boat that does not stay in the water all the time. But in the end they did not cover anything. I could not see putting that much money for repairs into an 04 boat that's why I traded it in.
    Brad Krone

10. Member
    Have them on my 02 TR-19 and do not plan on fixing anytime soon. Big chunks missing
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

11. Member
    It wouldn’t be right selling or trading it off until it was fixed. It’s still an awesome rig. The gorilla hull will be a viable long term repair with a lifetime warranty. It’s no more money than replacing a lower unit. I didn’t think insurance would cover it just thought I would ask. I’ll just write the check and feel good about it.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gambler4 View Post
    Post a picture of it when it slides off the trailer on the ramp next time you unload it
    I took pics when they had it raised up off the trailer. I don’t know how to post pics nor do I care to learn. PM me your number and I will send them to you.

13. Member
    Check insurance, normally does will not cover osmosis. And Triton will not cover them either. I am satisfied with the Gator Hull, have seen some improvements as well. Lifetime transferable warranty also.

Dang Jim that sucks bud!
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitaker201 View Post
    Dang Jim that sucks bud!
    Yeah I wasn’t thrilled but the old girl has been good to me so I’m going to take care of her. Funny I was having thoughts about looking for hull blisters for the last few months. I guess after all these years we have a connection. I’m a lucky man. My 60 year old wife is still gorgeous and guys still comment about how good my rig looks at the gas station.

I put GatorBak’s on mine a couple of years ago. Very happy with them.
    2021 Phoenix 21PHX

17. Member
    Gatorbaks...

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallmouthguy View Post
    I took pics when they had it raised up off the trailer. I don’t know how to post pics nor do I care to learn. PM me your number and I will send them to you.
    Jimbo, send me the pictures and I will post so that guys will know what to look for, sorry for your trouble,,,,,,,RT

19. Member
    My 06 TR20X flipped in Dec 17. You can see where they were above the bunks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 05-18-2018 at 07:33 AM.

20. Member
    I also encountered the "dreaded" Osmosis blisters. I installed Gatorbaks on the bunks.

However, that just stops the process does not alleviate existing blister problem.

I contacted Triton and wrote numerous E-Mails raising hell regarding their inferior hull product.

I received a $2,000 check and a gallon of gelcoat towards repairs.

Total repair bill was $4,600.
    Last edited by Bollee; 05-21-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast