Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Is this something that is still occuring on 2017 or newer models? I just bought a new 2017 and was wondering if this is something I should do now to my bunks to get ahead of the problem?

2. Member
    I FEEL YOUR PAIN..

Many people with boats in the 2004-2010 range have them and don't even know it no matter the brand. We can thank the EPA for this. My shop told me he has seen a couple brand new Nitro's with them lately. There are less chances to see it now with some changes in gel coat in the last years. Many brands have shifted back to mixtures of VE resin's and barrier coats on the hulls. These rigs are traded and sold for top dollar and it should certainly be an item inspected while evaluating a new purchase. And I agree if the owner knows, it SHOULD be disclosed during the sale. There are a couple manufacturers that did concede repairs on newer boats, but most of us are out of that category by the time we find out.

My story: I bought an 07 BCB Puma in 2015 and I found out later it too had them. Very small but 1000's of them where the bunks made contact. I just did the repair this winter but turned out much better money wise than the typical expense for fixing them. BCB gave me the materials to do the repair but no labor $. It was only cosmetic but they were starting to pop. Down the road de-laminating the hull is a concern with high speed water pressure. I was lucky in the sense that it was only shedding the first layer of gel. If you inspect your hull and see all the gel and raw fiberglass missing, I would not leave them alone as water intrusion is immanent. I opted not to go back with gator backs as they seem to mar the hull up pretty bad. I at least have VE resin and barrier coat and if I need to I will jack the boat off the trailer from time to time when in the garage to air out. I am also in a conditioned garage and I really think these were encored while it was sitting on a lift in a boat house years prior. BCB had also not moved forward with Gator Backs to date and is confident their resins and gel coats are improved/resistant to blistering now. They are working towards another bunk product but have not found anything that meets their satisfaction.

Blistering seems to happen more when the towing time between fishing and storage are less which does not allow the bunks to dry. Has nothing to with the carpet itself or the treated wood. The EPA regs made our boats allergic to water. We all take pride in our rides. Most times this is a cosmetic concern, but really something you should not take a blind to.

Good luck to all that have to take this on.

3. Member
    I have chosen to go the gorilla hull route because of their warranty. I hesitate to put the gator back on in combination with the gorilla hull coating. I am afraid it will be to slick as they warn you not to take the winch strap off the boat while off loading. I guess they have had several slide off the trailer with the gorilla hull. I am putting new carpet on my bunks in the next couple days and intend to inspect things every six months or so. I have put some big money in this rig the last year with the repower new custom seats custom dash, gauges, electronics, ultrex. My reasoning is I’m 60, probably would not get full value from paying 75k for a new top of the line rig. I love this 21x and nothing on the market today is any better speed and fish ability wise. All I would gain is some little goodies like tool holders and such. I guess a word of advise I would give to you guys thinking of sinking a bunch of money into a redoo would to be to take some time, pull your rig off the trailer and give it a good once over maybe even hire a professional to take a look.
    Would I do the same thing again??. Probably but it gives me pause for thought. Bottom line when I am done my rig will be pretty perfect for my needs but it’s still a 15 year old rig. And to you guys buying used rigs you better do the same. Can’t imagine a dealer or individual standing the cost of a hull repair after the deal is done.. I would demand to see the underside of the boat while off the trailer..
    Last edited by Smallmouthguy; 05-22-2018 at 04:27 AM.

4. Member
    Same on my 04 Triton TR20X. After the 2nd repair I too went with the Gator Hull.

Jim it sounds like you should be good for a long time after the repair. I need to jack mine up and take a look at it sometime soon. I never check the areas under the bunks.
    Brad Whitaker
    whittyoutdoors.com --- Use code BBC5 at checkout for 5% off
    Whitty Outdoors handmade crankbaits

08 Stratos 201XL 250 HO E-tec
    05 Weld-Craft 1852 semi-v 115/80 Mercury jetdrive

6. Member
    Does the Gorilla hull affect performance?

So you have to have the blisters repaired and then have the gorilla application applied, correct?

I found very tiny blisters on my rig a couple years ago, closest repair shop I've found is 15 hours drive each way and the repair would be pricey.

My blisters are small, look like thousands of little goosebumps where all four bunks contact the hull. None have gotten any worse yet but I always worry about them, need to bite the bullet and spend 5 or 6 thousand fixing them including the long drive to have it done.

7. Member
    did on my 2000 tr21 , low speed porpoise, doesn't turn as good,some off top end , bottom scuffs easier now, just don't look as good, damn a warranty wouldn't do it again
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post
    Does the Gorilla hull affect performance?

So you have to have the blisters repaired and then have the gorilla application applied, correct?

I found very tiny blisters on my rig a couple years ago, closest repair shop I've found is 15 hours drive each way and the repair would be pricey.

My blisters are small, look like thousands of little goosebumps where all four bunks contact the hull. None have gotten any worse yet but I always worry about them, need to bite the bullet and spend 5 or 6 thousand fixing them including the long drive to have it done.
    Some say gains some say losses. Neither enough to change my mind. Overwhelming reviews I have read have been positive. Yes they smooth out the surface and then apply the Gorrila coating.. Everyone is very positive on their customer service and their warranty.

I have read so many threads and articles about hull blisters and still believe that friction is also a contributing factor, not jus wet bunks. My theory is the trailer vibration allows heat generation, friction and it also buffs off any coating protection on the hull, then water works in.
    Hull blistering is very very common and what I don’t understand, is why the heck we continue to use carpet and pouros materials on the bunks!!
    Why in this day and age isn’t it standard to use a non pouros self draining bunk?? Is it really such an easy fix as this? I just bought my 2nd brand new bass boat, 2 different makes and never was it mentioned, suggested or offered as an upgrade.
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

10. Member
    Just bought a new 2017 179 TRX. Do you guys think this is still occurring on current models? Should I replace the bunks?

11. Member
    Is it possible that some 2004 and newer models (triton) may not have any of these blisters?
    looking at an 04 20x triton....should I be safe and just avoid a boat in those years 04-and newer?
    if u don’t fix the blisters what the end result??
    Last edited by creekchub; 06-10-2018 at 08:29 PM.

12. Member
    Jack it up look above the bunks. Mine is an 06 had them bad..Not only Triton's several others.

13. Member
    I am looking at 2007-2008 21TRX rigs. Saw one the other day for sale near me...so I asked some questions ...like hours on motor. He had 780 hours on the motor, yet said he just did not have any time to use it, so he is selling. He was eager to reply a few times on any question I had. I then told him I was looking out for hull blisters on those models and inquired if he had any such issues. He stopped replying...LOL

14. Member
    so many triton hull blister issues -make me real weary of any triton /skeeter after 2004 now:(

15. Member
    you should be weary of all manufacturers boats during the time frame of the EPA formulation change. When looking at a used boat have the owner stop 12-18” shy of the roller and lock the winch tight and pull up far enough to see the last section of pad. If they aren’t willing to do that, walk.

16. Member
    great point sage advice!

17. Member
    I want to be clear. I am in no way blaming triton. I think it is a product of unclear manufacturing processes dictated by changes in EPA regulations. The same regulation that is causing some rigs to develope gel coat cracks. Triton has never had a reputation of using cheap materials or poor layup procedures to cheapen up the product... Just one of those things. My rig will be 15 years old the 29th of September and I am still thrilled with it even after this issue.

18. Member
    Curious small mouth, how often do you use your boat? I am scared to even look at my 2018. Sorta don’t want to Check hahahahaha I need to install Gatorbaks ASAP.

19. Member
    I am 30 minutes from Paris landing so I am on the water a couple days a week from March till october and a couple days a month in the winter. I know what your saying,I was putting off looking at mine too even though that little nagging voice kept saying you better do it. I wasn’t entirely shocked when I got the call from my glass man with the bad news.��

20. Member
    Is the hull blister deal something that likely is happening to newer rigs as well like 2012-2017?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast