Mercury 25hp 4 stroke

Mercury 25hp 4 stroke. #0R130560. When I first get to the lake for the day the motor will start right up on the 2nd or 3rd pull. Runs like a champ. I go to my first fishing spot and fish for awhile. The motor will start on the first pull. Again runs like a champ. I ride to another spot and fish for awhile. Now when I go to start it she will fire up then die. I can pull it 50 times and it will crank up then die. So I let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes. She will fire up on the first pull and run like a champ. For the rest of the day I have a 50/50 chance she will start on the first couple of pulls or I have to left it sit again. It never does it on the first couple starts of the day. Once she is running. She runs great. I have replaced the fuel tank, fuel lines and primer bulb. All oem mercury parts. Any ideas? Thanks!

Edit. I pump up the primer bulb before every attempted start.
    Last edited by fishon!sc; 05-15-2018 at 08:20 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    FDV in place (on the fuel line)?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    FDV in place (on the fuel line)?
    No but my tank has a vent on the cap. Do I still need one? I took the cap off the old tank that came with the motor and put it on the new tank.
    Last edited by fishon!sc; 05-16-2018 at 11:55 AM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Need to determine what tank combination you're using- can't mix early style and late-style fuel tank components (later tanks can pressurize and require an FDV).

Pictures if not sure (and put the caps back with the tanks they came with, preferably).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Need to determine what tank combination you're using- can't mix early style and late-style fuel tank components (later tanks can pressurize and require an FDV).

Pictures if not sure (and put the caps back with the tanks they came with, preferably).
    Here is the tank set up I am using now. It looks just like the old tank. I tossed it. It had seen better days. Working on finding the other cap. Thanks for your help.

6. Member
    Picked up a new cap and a FDV. Headed to the lake. Will see.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishon!sc View Post
    Picked up a new cap and a FDV. Headed to the lake. Will see.
    It changed absolutely nothing. Same problems as before.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Have you tried "throttle only" mode when it fails to start (and provide it with just a slight amount of extra throttle)?

9. Member
    Have you tried "throttle only" mode when it fails to start (and provide it with just a slight amount of extra throttle)?
    Yes. When I do throttle only it does not start at all. When in netrual it will start for a couple seconds. Picked up some new plugs. Going to give it a try. I can somewhat smell gas when it fails to start.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Be sure to report back after you try a new set of properly-gapped plugs. You may well be on to something there.

11. Member
    Be sure to report back after you try a new set of properly-gapped plugs. You may well be on to something there.
    Finally got back to working on this motor. I replaced the plugs and fuel filter. The old filter was spotless but I changed it anyway. Took the motor out all day yesterday and she started on the first pull everytime. Thanks for the help.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Nice when regular maintenance items solve the problem.