Fury 4 questions

Background about my boat:
    1999 518VX 200 HP OPTIMAX
    mercury tempest 25 @ 3.25" below pad
    I have been running this set up for about 10 years now. Best I've seen is 67 MPH on GPS.
    Always had a great hole shot and ran about 5700 RPM at WOT.

Now I've just recently added 10' talons to the back. Boat still runs great once it's on pad and I really don't have any porpoising issues coming of plane (very minor). The biggest issue I am having is getting out of the hole. I contacted Roger (ghost Comanche) on these boards per the advise of other members. He indicated that I should try the new Fury 4 in a 24 pitch.
    Well I received the prop today. So a few questions that I have are:
    1) how many plugs should I be running for this my set up? Prop came with plugs but none are actually in the prop. Also the are eight holes....I'm just not family with this prop. Lol
    2) should I raise my prop to pad height? I've done some reading and guys are raising the prop to 2.75" below pad? Or should I just leave it where it is?
    Also when I first bought this boat the previous owner had a trophy 24 4 blade and that prop sucked...I called ranger and they told me that that was the correct prop for the boat...? So now that I have another 4 blade, I am lost with the added weight of the talons. I just want my hole
    shot back, I'll add that I'm not a speed demon...if I lose 4-5 MPH on top end I won't cry about it. Although some treads are saying that the fury 4 has increased top end...? So you can see I could use a bit of advise. Thanks again for all the help over the years and now! -steve

2. Member
    Steve,

I have the same boat with a 2013 200 pro xs. Put on the fury 4 24 last year and love it. Added a single power pole this year and I believe I’m somewhere between 2.5 and 2.75 below pad. ALL holes open always on the fury 4 is what I have and have heard is the best way to go. Super hole shot, mid range punch, and decent top end. I came from a tempest plus 25 and after changing it out I think it was too much prop for my setup. I do get some backwash coming off plane, since adding the PP, that I need to work on but that’s it. Good luck!

3. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What Macbirddog says sounds right. The Fury 4 in 24 should improve your hole shot, and it probably won’t be too critical on ptp. You could try it where it is now, and raise it 1/4” at a time if you want to tweak it further. Those talons are heavy...
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

4. Member
    Thanks for the responses, I'll be on pool 9 this weekend to try it out. I sure hope this prop is the answer! Thanks again. -steve

5. Member
    I would start out with no plugs and add a solid plug one at a time. I have 4 solid plugs on mine. I would run the fury 4 higher on or as well. God starting point would be at 2.75.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ksubasser24 View Post
    I would start out with no plugs and add a solid plug one at a time. I have 4 solid plugs on mine. I would run the fury 4 higher on or as well. God starting point would be at 2.75.
    thanks for the info. I'm going to start out will all holes open, just about every response I'm getting say to run them all open. And I just raised my motor up to 2.75" below pad. Also suggested by most. Leaving in the morning so I'll post my results when I get home.

7. Member
    I believe the only reason to consider adding plugs is if it blows out on the hole shot, plugs don't affect WOT performance at all.
    Ranger 2023 Z520R Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke

8. Member
    UPDATE...
    This prop is the cats meow! Like I stated before I raised my prop to pad height from 3.25" below pad up to 2.75" below pad and left all the plugs out of the prop. (Thanks to the advise of many on here)
    Hole shot is incredible and I would say I lost little to no top end. Running low 60's (best I saw this weekend was 64MPH) with 2 guys, 36 gallons of fuel and Live wells full. Best this boat ever saw was 67MPH and that's me running solo with low fuel tanks. So this prop is a keeper with the added weight of the talons. Thanks again for all the help! If you are thinking about trying the Fury 4, don't hesitate. Who ever designed this prop is a Genius !

I did manage big bass for the weekend as well...5lbs 4oz. Out of Pool 9! I've never caught a 5lb fish out of the Mississippi River.