Thread: Prop suggestion

Prop suggestion

2014 225 pro xs on a 99 21ss and is currently spinning a 24p tempest plus. Hole shot is decent but not great and top end is not there at about 64 (5200rpms). Also have a 6" hydraulic jp.

Was thinking of maybe going to a 25 trophy or 26 tempest....what do you guys think?
    2018 Nitro Z21

I'm better than you
    http://www.facebook.com/vincent.hytry

2. Member
    need to know what your WOT rpms and speed is? If 5200rpms is wot then you going to a 25 trophy or 26 tempest will not help you. I run a 225 pro xs on a 201 and a 25 fury 4 and average 68 mph solo at 5700 rpms. I ran a 25 fury to 72.1 at 5900 rpms.
    Stratos 201 Pro Elite, Evinrude 200 Etec H.O., Minn Kota, Humminbird

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    need to know what your WOT rpms and speed is? If 5200rpms is wot then you going to a 25 trophy or 26 tempest will not help you. I run a 225 pro xs on a 201 and a 25 fury 4 and average 68 mph solo at 5700 rpms. I ran a 25 fury to 72.1 at 5900 rpms.
    Thank you for pointing that out! I was just leaving the break room at work when I hit post. Didn't proof read it lol meant 5700rpm at about 64mph with me and one other. It doesn't feel like I'm getting enough lift.

4. Member
    sounds to me like its low prop to pad because of the low rpms with a 24p. Is the prop got some wear on it? that will greatly effect it. if your not getting the lift out of the tempest sounds like there isn't much cup on the tempest. Mercury even pitch props need some work to get good numbers out of them. if you went with a 25p tempest plus and raised the jackplate up to about 2 3/4" below pad I think you will see a big difference.

I was thinking like Bubba too because the Tempest props have great lift. I'd say the prop is wore or your too deep.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

The prop is in good shape just some sand rash. I have the hydraulic jp up as far as it goes and a cowl level rooster at wot. Played more with it tonight and still can't get it to go!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba201proxl View Post
    sounds to me like its low prop to pad because of the low rpms with a 24p. Is the prop got some wear on it? that will greatly effect it. if your not getting the lift out of the tempest sounds like there isn't much cup on the tempest. Mercury even pitch props need some work to get good numbers out of them. if you went with a 25p tempest plus and raised the jackplate up to about 2 3/4" below pad I think you will see a big difference.
    I am with you.I would think this setup would help big time.thanks and good luck
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Boy View Post
    The prop is in good shape just some sand rash. I have the hydraulic jp up as far as it goes and a cowl level rooster at wot. Played more with it tonight and still can't get it to go!
    id be willing to be that the prop is out and not true to pitch based off what you say in above comment. I would try and borrow a somebodys 25 tempest and see how it does since you got a hydraulic plate you can manipulate it much easier to get it to work. I have seen where people are sending mark croxton their 24 and 26 pitch tempest props for balance and blue print and gaining 5mph because the blades are not to spec. I would borrow one before I spent the money on a balance and blueprint on that 24 tempest and try a 25 instead. Hope this helps.

9. Member
    according to the calculator your prop slip is at 14. Its not terrible but its not great either. Ideally you want to be in that 10-12 percent slip range.