07 Mercury Optimax 175 & Mercury Smartcraft 3.0 Issues...

I just bought a 05 Ranger 185vx with a 06 Mercury 175 Optimax. The previous owner had major problems with the first engine and had it replaced with the 06 Mercury 175 optimax. He had installed a Mercury Smartcraft version 3.0 with this new engine. The engine performed well for several years, but developed an oil injection problem. It went to the shop this spring before I purchased the boat to address this issue. The engine oil tank was replaced. It was tested on the water by the dealer and deemed fixed. I got a chance to run the boat for the first time a few days ago. I only ran it for short distances - no more than 1-2 minutes at 45-50mph, but to me, it ran great! However, the Mercury Smartcraft 3.0 flashed the engine problem icon. I turned the engine off and the engine problem icon disappeared! I tried to recover this code that made the smartcraft icon blink and while doing so I realized that it might not be functioning properly - I say this because the smartcraft was reporting RPMs (increasing up to 3000) when the engine was off (only the key was turned to initiate the smartcraft without turning the engine over). I ran the engine after this to power-load it on the trailer - it seemed fine - no smartcraft icons.

I need to figure out if the engine is really fixed or if the Smartcraft has old codes or is not functioning properly. I have not gotten any loud beeping from the main engine computer, only a flashing smartcraft icon for an engine problem. Should I disconnect the Smartcraft to reset it? Should I replace the Smartcraft with a new one or better engine monitoring tech? Should I bring it back to the dealer who deemed the problem fixed? Thanks for your help.

Mercury 175L OPTI serial number 1b424986 Sep 2006
    Last edited by n8cas; 05-15-2018 at 05:42 PM.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to update your post with the Required info.

Faults displayed are generated by the Engine PCM. No "memory" of faults occurs in your Smartcraft Instrument.

Instrument cannot "go back and read historical fault info" (that is a function of the Computer Diagnostic System). Once you turn the key off (or the fault ceases to exist in some circumstances), you would need to have the engine placed on the Computer Diagnostic System to read the Run History and Freeze-Frame (Fault) History.

PRINTOUTS of those histories is always wise (allowing future review of the info).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry. I added the serial number. I do not have a print out of the histories from the last shop visit earlier this spring - the previous owner took care of that visit. I'll make sure to ask for it next time it goes in. Does it seem as though the Smartcraft is malfunctioning?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    When icons display on the System Monitor it is an indication of a fault occurring. Always "assume" those are accurate, until (or unless) PROVEN otherwise by proper diagnostic measures.

The "3000 RPM while not running" is unusual. May need to unplug both ends of data cable, allow to sit overnight. Plug back in and perform Master Reset on the instrument, then monitor for any further concerns.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    When icons display on the System Monitor it is an indication of a fault occurring. Always "assume" those are accurate, until (or unless) PROVEN otherwise by proper diagnostic measures.

The "3000 RPM while not running" is unusual. May need to unplug both ends of data cable, allow to sit overnight. Plug back in and perform Master Reset on the instrument, then monitor for any further concerns.
    does the pin look the same on the engine side ? There’s a flat pin connector right outside the PCM - is that the one to disconnect? I looked Through the manual and can’t seem to find it. It did list which fuse in the engine fuse block is to it - can I just take that fuse out overnight instead?

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, we really need to disconnect the Can-P Data Pathway (completely) at both ends of the network.

7. Member
    I don't know which connector to disconnect....

Last edited by n8cas; 05-21-2018 at 07:43 AM.

8. Member
    After a lot of searching online and reading the stickies (useful stuff), I believe it's the top 14 pin connector that sort-of wraps around the top of the PCM that needs to be disconnected overnight before the master reset of my Smartcraft 3.0. While I won't know for sure what the "Engine Problem" flash on my first test ride with my new boat was all about, I have some ideas. Can I go ahead and disconnect that top wire harness?