Thread: Lithium Pros

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium Pros

I recently purchased a boat with a Lithium Pros M3140-36Ck 36 volt trolling motor battery and charger combo. Last Saturday the battery died after 6 hours of fishing. I was on the motor a lot however I have never had this issue with three 12 volt lead batteries. I am not sure I want to invest in adding another 36 volt battery to my system. Has anyone else experienced this? I fish tournaments and no longer trust this battery.

2. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Is the battery dead?

3. Member
    We fished a redfish tournament Saturday in shallow water. Was on the trolling mtr for 6-7 hrs and never lost power with my 3140 lithium pro on a 22’ Bay boat and 112lb ulterra. I have the stealth charger setup.

4. Member
    It pretty much died after fishing for six hours however it will take a charge while running the outboard. The issue I have is that in all my years of fishing I have not had a 36 volt system fail after 6 hours of fishing no matter the circumstances. That said, I have always replaced my traditional batteries every 3 to 4 years.

5. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Agree but that is not what many potential Lithium buyers are being told. These sort of threads are about to be getting common.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 05-16-2018 at 06:19 PM.

6. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Hey jepp, you are leaving out too much valuable info for anyone here to give you any advice on your situation. What is the age of the rig?? How old is the battery?? Hows it charged ? How has it been treated over the life of the battery?? Are you fishing in heavy current?

I own a Lithium Pro M3160-24volt battery and bought it new in 2013 for my new at the time 2013 Allison. I've run it hard but I do not fish tourny's and do not fish any rivers or current. I charge it after each trip. I'm on it alomost all day and do not fish huge bodies of water which means on on the troller more than running the big motor. However, when I go to Hartwell and Watts BAr once a year I can make a real long run say 20 to 25 miles and look at the Stealth meter and it is back to full charge.
    Last edited by AllyFishing; 05-16-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

7. Member
    Was it charged fully when you started?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    However, when I go to Hartwell and Watts BAr once a year I can make a real long run say 20 to 25 miles and look at the Stealth meter and it is back to full charge.

I just got some Lithium Pros with the Stealth charger a few weeks ago. What is the stealth meter??? I have no way of knowing how much juice is left in the batteries.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    Hey jepp, you are leaving out too much valuable info for anyone here to give you any advice on your situation. What is the age of the rig?? How old is the battery?? Hows it charged ? How has it been treated over the life of the battery?? Are you fishing in heavy current?

I own a Lithium Pro M3160-24volt battery and bought it new in 2013 for my new at the time 2013 Allison. I've run it hard but I do not fish tourny's and do not fish any rivers or current. I charge it after each trip. I'm on it alomost all day and do not fish huge bodies of water which means on on the troller more than running the big motor. However, when I go to Hartwell and Watts BAr once a year I can make a real long run say 20 to 25 miles and look at the Stealth meter and it is back to full charge.
    I purchased the boat New in December 2017 however it was a "replacement" boat originally a 2014. The battery kit was purchased by the previous owner in 2014. I installed an on board charger so I can keep the battery fully charged at all times.The charger is connected to the cranking battery which I am told will charge the 36V lithium through the supplied charger. The battery is also being charged while running. See the link below to the set up I have. I never fish without charging the batteries completely. The onboard charger indicator light turns green showing a full charge so I know I am starting out full. I installed a new group 31 cranking battery as well. I have fished a tournament with this set up and didn't have a problem however last week while pre-fishing I lost powere after 6 hours of hard fishing. The area has a lot of submerged willows that you have to pull the boat through. That said, I have never lost power with other set ups. Because this system is new to me I was worried that my on board charger wasn't actually charging the 36 volt system. I have contted lithium pros and they suggest adding another 36 volt battery to my system.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jepp Tanaka View Post
    I purchased the boat New in December 2017 however it was a "replacement" boat originally a 2014. The battery kit was purchased by the previous owner in 2014. I installed an on board charger so I can keep the battery fully charged at all times.The charger is connected to the cranking battery which I am told will charge the 36V lithium through the supplied charger. The battery is also being charged while running. See the link below to the set up I have. I never fish without charging the batteries completely. The onboard charger indicator light turns green showing a full charge so I know I am starting out full. I installed a new group 31 cranking battery as well. I have fished a tournament with this set up and didn't have a problem however last week while pre-fishing I lost powere after 6 hours of hard fishing. The area has a lot of submerged willows that you have to pull the boat through. That said, I have never lost power with other set ups. Because this system is new to me I was worried that my on board charger wasn't actually charging the 36 volt system. I have contted lithium pros and they suggest adding another 36 volt battery to my system.
    https://www.lithiumpros.com/product/...n-battery-kit/

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    I just got some Lithium Pros with the Stealth charger a few weeks ago. What is the stealth meter??? I have no way of knowing how much juice is left in the batteries.
    The stealth system has a maxim output of about 10 amps (look up their specifications) and it only charges one battery at a time. 3 batteries at 50% charge will need 150 amp-hours so that is 15 hours of running time! The Trollbridge36 charges all batteries simultaneously at 50 amps or more depending on the size of your alternator. That brings it down to 3 hours running time.

12. Member
    Using the Stealth on the run charger or the Trollbridge version or any other on the run charging system will not replenish and bring your batteries Lithium or lead acid and or AGM up to a full charge without running your motor & boat many many hours which will never happen!
    Buy a AC plug in charger approved for your battery by the manufacture so when you go out your at 100% from the previous trip especially overnight tournament fisherman which are hard on the batteries.
    Last edited by flatsboy; 05-17-2018 at 03:31 PM.
    Egret Moccasin 210 Mercury 225

13. Member
    The stealth is recomended for lithium pros..

14. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Yes, the stealth system is recommended for charging lithium batteries. An AC charger is needed for off the water charging AFTER a full day of fishing. The DC on board charger will throw some charge back into the lithium but only if long runs with your outboard are made throughout the day. And you need to look up the voltage output of your outboard to see what RPM's the alternator is putting out max voltage. It will not fully charge the battery otherwise.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jepp Tanaka View Post
    I recently purchased a boat with a Lithium Pros M3140-36Ck 36 volt trolling motor battery and charger combo. Last Saturday the battery died after 6 hours of fishing. I was on the motor a lot however I have never had this issue with three 12 volt lead batteries. I am not sure I want to invest in adding another 36 volt battery to my system. Has anyone else experienced this? I fish tournaments and no longer trust this battery.
    I had only one 3140 for a while and killed it several times. I had to put two in. As lithium pro suggested you really need two.(now....but not when you buy them) Especially if you are a tournament fisherman. The other thing I have learned is the ONLY way to get them charged right is to buy a 36 volt charger from lithium pros......another $350.(this also comes later after you buy them)

The stealth charger works great and has performed flawlessly but is not intended to recharge completely unless as others have said you intend to run your big motor several hours. If you call Danny at Stealth he will give you some insight on charging with his system. If you decide to keep them here is my routine.
    1- get done fishing Hook up and plug in 36 volt charger and charge trolling batteries. (Usually 1.5 hrs or less)
    2- Remove 36 volt charger and plug in Stealth AC charger. (Usually takes longer) (i have lithium cranking battery also)
    3- unplug next morning and everything is always lit up green.

MY next boat will have lithium’s but NOT a 36 volt battery. My warranty is up (they made sure i knew that after last issue I had)and I will not continue with the uncertainty in the reliability and if it goes down again I would have to buy another battery at $2000 to have a complete system that will go all day. It also is a single source and when you have trouble you end up with two choices......wait for Lithium Pro to fix it (this will take several weeks.....with all the shipping issues with Lithium and when they get around to it) or like I’ve had to do so I can fish all day...........go to Walmart,buy 3 deep cycle. Install and switch over.( I actually carry all the stuff to do this as it’s happened twice) I also have spare onboard so I can charge the batteries because the other 36 volt charger won’t.

I’m gonna try Battle Born or Relion next..........3-12 volt in series and if one goes down they have said you could stick a lead acid in there until you get another from them to get by.

This is not intended to be a bash either! Just facts based on the last four years........I hope this helps you with your question.

16. Member
    Question, isnt the stealth 36v charger and the lithium pro 36v charger the same? That what i was told by both danny and lithium pro when i bought my batteries.. ive been running 2 lp 36v batteries now with just the stealth one for 2 1/2 seasons now without a problem.. i recently purchase a relion cranking battery with a charger and ive been using that just for the cranking battery..all my batteries are fully charged within 2 hrs after a long day on the water..

17. Member
    A few weeks ago I got a Lithium Pros setup with two 36v and two 12v. It looks like the Stealth AC chargers are 2-bank chargers, so I have 2 of those with a Y-cable going out the back of the transom to plug into the wall. Then I have a Lithium Pros DC charger piggy backed on top of one of the Stealths, but I don't remember how they have that one charger going from my big motor to all the batteries.

I haven't had any trouble so far, but I've only had this setup for a few weeks.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WSfishin View Post
    I had only one 3140 for a while and killed it several times. I had to put two in. As lithium pro suggested you really need two.(now....but not when you buy them) Especially if you are a tournament fisherman. The other thing I have learned is the ONLY way to get them charged right is to buy a 36 volt charger from lithium pros......another $350.(this also comes later after you buy them)

The stealth charger works great and has performed flawlessly but is not intended to recharge completely unless as others have said you intend to run your big motor several hours. If you call Danny at Stealth he will give you some insight on charging with his system. If you decide to keep them here is my routine.
    1- get done fishing Hook up and plug in 36 volt charger and charge trolling batteries. (Usually 1.5 hrs or less)
    2- Remove 36 volt charger and plug in Stealth AC charger. (Usually takes longer) (i have lithium cranking battery also)
    3- unplug next morning and everything is always lit up green.

MY next boat will have lithium’s but NOT a 36 volt battery. My warranty is up (they made sure i knew that after last issue I had)and I will not continue with the uncertainty in the reliability and if it goes down again I would have to buy another battery at $2000 to have a complete system that will go all day. It also is a single source and when you have trouble you end up with two choices......wait for Lithium Pro to fix it (this will take several weeks.....with all the shipping issues with Lithium and when they get around to it) or like I’ve had to do so I can fish all day...........go to Walmart,buy 3 deep cycle. Install and switch over.( I actually carry all the stuff to do this as it’s happened twice) I also have spare onboard so I can charge the batteries because the other 36 volt charger won’t.

I’m gonna try Battle Born or Relion next..........3-12 volt in series and if one goes down they have said you could stick a lead acid in there until you get another from them to get by.

This is not intended to be a bash either! Just facts based on the last four years........I hope this helps you with your question.
    What 36 volt lithium pro charger are you plugging in to charge the trolling battery?
    Last edited by Taylor; 05-19-2018 at 11:48 PM. Reason: Edit

19. Member
    The one lithium pro sells.

20. Member

36v charger

This is the only 36v Lithium Pros sells. I’m not clear how you plug it in just to charge the TM batts. This charger is made by stealth and is powered from either your engine alternator or while the starting batt is charging on a 12v charger. It converts the 12v input to 42v to charge the 36v trolling batt. Maybe they make an AC 36 V charger??
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast