Honda BF90A shifting problems

My Honda bf90A sharted getting hard to shift from reverse to neutral once in a while. Now when I shift into reverse it's fine while idling but if I give even a little gas it makes a loud clanking noise. I disconnected the linkage and shifted it manually and have the same issue, it is all the way into reverse and still has the noise. I dropped the lower unit and started disassembling it but I have gotten to a point where I'm stuck. I have removed the pinion nut but I still can't pull the drive shaft out or remove the pinion. Here's a couple of pics showing where I'm at, any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Maybe take it to a dealer and have them look at it?

3. Member
    I took to a Honda marine dealer, they told me they no longer make the parts I need for this lower unit. I would have to buy a new lower unit and an adapter kit to fit my motor.....$2,000. I’m not sure what to do because that’s a lot to spend on an old motor that they don’t make parts for anymore.

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Keep an eye out on the internet for a lower unit or blown motor being parted out.
    ebay or thehulltruth.com, etc.

5. Member
    That’s the plan. I’m about to put it back together and just use forward until I figure out what I’m going to do

What year is it?

7. Member
    It's a 1997