Cool Set up advice, opinions, and knowledge needed!

Just got a new (to me) Ranger RT188 aluminum boat with a Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO on it.
    Thinking about making some upgrades in the future on it so looking for ideas on it!

I think I might want to go to a Minn Kota Ultrex 45” 80 lb. for the Spot Lock feature. Would I want to go ahead and get the I-Link on it or not?

Leaning toward adding a Hummingbird Helix up front now and swapping out the Elite 7 TI in the dash later for another one.

What type would be best on the bow? SI, DI, Mega, GPS, G2N, Chirp, no Chirp?

How big is too big for the bow? How big is too big for the dash?

How would you mount the transducers on the Ultrex?

Of course I would want them networked together if possible.

Not able to buy it all at once so I want to make sure I plan it out and in stages.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDozer66 View Post
    Just got a new (to me) Ranger RT188 aluminum boat with a Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO on it.
    Thinking about making some upgrades in the future on it so looking for ideas on it!

I think I might want to go to a Minn Kota Ultrex 45” 80 lb. for the Spot Lock feature. Would I want to go ahead and get the I-Link on it or not? This all depends on your style of fishing...if you want the Ultrex to follow contours or specific areas you map out, then the I-Link might be fore you.

Leaning toward adding a Hummingbird Helix up front now and swapping out the Elite 7 TI in the dash later for another one.

What type would be best on the bow? SI, DI, Mega, GPS, G2N, Chirp, no Chirp? Again, depends on how you want to fish, what you want to know and budget. If you want just basic 2D sonar, you can save some money on the unit itself and use the Universal Sonar built into the head of the Ultrex.

How big is too big for the bow? How big is too big for the dash? I would say a Helix9 or 10 would be as big as you want to go at the dash (not flush mounted), so long as you are using a mount from Bass Boat Technologies or Precision Sonar. With regards to the bow, as big as you want with the appropriate mount.

How would you mount the transducers on the Ultrex? If you want DI or SI, you can get a mount from Transducer Shield. If you want to only run 2D sonar, you can buy the adapter cable from Humminbird.

Of course I would want them networked together if possible. Humminbird sells network cables in various lengths and they also offer a hub if you plan on networking more than to Humminbird devices.

Not able to buy it all at once so I want to make sure I plan it out and in stages.

Any and all input will be greatly appreciated!
    I hope the input above helps, as I am no expert. Look around in the Humminbird section of the forum, you will find tons of information and people willing to help.
    2018 Ranger RT198P
    Mercury 150 4-Stroke

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tobin01 View Post
    I hope the input above helps, as I am no expert. Look around in the Hummingbird section of the forum, you will find tons of information and people willing to help.
    That is exactly the advice I needed!

Thank you very much!
    2016 Ranger RT188 Charcoal Metallic Dual Console
    2017 Yamaha 115 VMAX SHO SS Prop
    Lowrance Elite 7Ti in console
    Humminbird Helix 10 SI on BBT Bow Mount

Humminbird Helix 10 SI on a BalZout @ Console
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 - 24V i-Pilot Link
    Transducer Shield Mount
    Custom step in place of center seat
    Trick Step