Thread: crappie gear

crappie gear

Will be new to Crappie fishing. I've bass fished my whole life. what rod n reel gear do I need. all I'm starting with is a 10 ft jigging pole I've had for 10 years. Will be fishing from a boat with good electronics

2. Member
    Todd Huckabee Rods are the best, they also ain’t cheap. Any cheap baitcasters reel will do.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Todd Huckabee, Bonehead, Acc Crappie stix, and or Falcon would be the rods I would buy if in the market for a high end rod. Okuma makes a great and affordable rod as well. There are tons of high quality rods though so definitely do your research on exactly what you want. A lot of the Huckabee rods are for baitcast reels but he makes them for the spinning reel as well. I have been super happy with the Pflueger president reels, but I also have a couple bps brand reels, a browning ultra lite reel, and a few okuma ignite reels that are all good. The pflueger is the smoothest. As far as baits go you cant go wrong with anything from Bobby Garland. I fish multiple lakes across the state of Oklahoma and there are a few colors that have been successful on every lake. Electric Chicken, Monkey Milk, Cajun Cricket, Blue thunder, blue ice are all popular all over the place and would be a good start. Another bait I use often is by Koopscrappiekillers.com. I usually almost always throw the 2 inch baby shad model of both baits. Hair jigs work great as well. I throw jig heads in the 1/64, 1/32, and 1/16th range. Occasionally i will throw a 1/8th but not very often. I line all my reels with Bonehead mono but it is not cheap. There is nothing wrong with Mr. Crappie line either and it can be bought cheap and in bulk. Good luck! If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.