Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2018 G-2 has lost is holeshot

I have an appointment with my Ranger dealer for next week, I am hoping for the best but he has flat out told me he is a dyed in the wool Mercury guy
    Anyway the hole shot which used to be wicked is now soft. I can still get on pad but it bogs to get there when before it was POW! on pad.

2018 250 G-2 with about 20 hours, was hoping the board could help me point my tech in the right direction

2. Member
    If he does not even have Ev diag6 then I would find someone else. Check the flywheel cover plugs to make sure they have not dislodged and if a HO the water valve could be clogged but again with training and the right tools he maybe no better off then you to find the problem. Just like taking an OPTI / Vrod to a dyed in the wool Evinrude or Yammie guy and he not having the correct test equipment to talk to these. Of course fuel pressure and vaccum should also be checked and any outboard technician worth his salt could do that.

Mine did the same thing. It ended up being a fuel injector stuck open. My boat was also about 5-10 mph slower. At the same time the VST was leaking but the main culprit was the stuck injector. Replaced injector and VST under warranty. That was about 60 hours ago. No motor issues since except for that rubber cap/plug on the flywheel flying off again. I removed it for good so that's not going to happen again.
    My first mechanic was a Mercury guy. I got sick of his whiney azz and took it to Jeremy at C&C Marine in Sacramento. Give him a try.
    Last edited by Fishfelon; 05-14-2018 at 08:20 PM.

4. Member
    Sounds like an "open injector" to me too. Do you have the I-Command gauge or the new gauge that is paired with the G2? My I-Command gauge will pop up a warning if there is an open injector etc.

5. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I had heard that the new Icon gauge that comes with the G2 does not pop up a warning for an open injector. Have to read the results from hooking up a laptop.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

6. Member
    Yes it has the Icon gauges, but I have not seen any warning for a falure of any type?

7. Member
    If open circuit the ICON touch display will have a warning in the diagnostics screen. Without knowing what ICON gauge you have hard to answer-that is it the Icon Pro, 3.5CS, 4.3 Icon Touch or the 7 inch Icon Touch version.

Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    I had heard that the new Icon gauge that comes with the G2 does not pop up a warning for an open injector. Have to read the results from hooking up a laptop.
    I have the 3.5" ICON on my 2016 Z522D. When I had an injector open circuit, it flashed and logged a code. I wonder if there is a time sensative delay on displaying on the ICON, because when I took the G2 in to have the injector replaced under warranty, there were more occurences of the fault code in the log than I remember seeing on the ICON.

9. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Heard from the G2 technician at my dealer today that they have had a couple of cases in which the fuel filter housing warped, allowing fuel to escape (and air to enter). Other problems developed from there (excessive oiling, fouled plugs). Since such a leak is not electrical, it might not throw a code at all, or if it did, nothing that would show up on an Icon display. But you would probably soon begin to notice a gasoline odor and/or “slick” on the water.

P.S. This “problem,” if it develops, is a very quick and inexpensive fix with no after-effects. A $5 part can ground a space shuttle. These things happen.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 05-19-2018 at 02:25 PM.

10. Member
    Did they not test the G2 long enough before they put on the market?? I would like to try one but not with the problems I am hearing about already!

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT196 View Post
    Did they not test the G2 long enough before they put on the market?? I would like to try one but not with the problems I am hearing about already!
    What would those problems be?

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    That’s going a bit off the deep end. With the Internet, half a dozen problems, most pretty minor, get reported around the country and it might seem like an epidemic. Far from it. We have had several G2 threads here in the last couple of months, and nearly every owner is ecstatic about the motor. Don’t get so excited.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    That’s going a bit off the deep end. With the Internet, half a dozen problems, most pretty minor, get reported around the country and it might seem like an epidemic. Far from it. We have had several G2 threads here in the last couple of months, and nearly every owner is ecstatic about the motor. Don’t get so excited.
    Very true, if your on Face Book those guys who never ran a boat are running down the G2, at the dealership where I worked we have not had those crazy problems that you hear, only problems we have seen was the first year they come out, soft wear upgrades fixed those,,,,,,,RT

14. Member
    Those I see on here and the guys I know that constantly have to take a new motor back for problems that should not happen on a NEW motor! Not to mention mechanics that dont know how to work on and/or dont want to work on them. Nearest dealer to me is 2 hours away, thats enough to keep me from buying one with problems I see requiring trips to dealer.

15. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Those I see on here and the guys I know that constantly have to take a new motor back for problems that should not happen on a NEW motor! Not to mention mechanics that dont know how to work on and/or dont want to work on them. Nearest dealer to me is 2 hours away, thats enough to keep me from buying one with problems I see requiring trips to dealer.
    The vast majority of the posts on here on the G2's have been rigging issues. We've had possibly 10 posted here with actual issues and those have been software issues in compatibility with the ICON gauges, that would be a rigging issue.
    A mechanic not knowing how to work on one shouldn't even be in the equation, this is a highly technical product, and the tech needs the required training on the product, just because the guy graduated MMI doesn't qualify him to work on the product. The SHO still makes oil the ProXS still has compressor failures, so to me your post appears to be a troll and a poor one at that. There a lot more happy customers that love the G2 than hate them.

16. Member
    Not a troll just saying what I see. Hope they turn out to be good motors, I would like to go back to Evinrude but not until I see more time with the G2. Obviously you have a one sided opinion . This will be Evinurdes last attempt to make a good motor since the Fichts. If the G2 is a failure then Evinrude will be done and I would hate to see that. Its all I used to run! They need to produce so some of the old faithful will come back!

17. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Blame that on the epa...There will never be good old carby engines even with their inherent problems, The g2 IS an awesome animal and I would only buy one from a dealer certified to work on them or have a certified dealer within 3 hours of me..... My buds G2 200 HO on a Express 22' bay boat LEAPS outta the hole.....

18. Banned
    Not a troll just saying what I see. Hope they turn out to be good motors, I would like to go back to Evinrude but not until I see more time with the G2. Obviously you have a one sided opinion . This will be Evinurdes last attempt to make a good motor since the Fichts. If the G2 is a failure then Evinrude will be done and I would hate to see that. Its all I used to run! They need to produce so some of the old faithful will come back!
    Don't sweat it Sott. This is a typical response from this board moderator.

19. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Evinrude’s last attempt to make a good motor since the Ficht? Huh? I have owned 4 G1 E-Tecs and they’ve all been fine motors. Sorry, I’m going with troll, too.
    Last edited by jc2bg; 05-22-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    Don't sweat it Sott. This is a typical response from this board moderator.
    Says the guy walking on thin ice...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast