Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rod JUST for Flukes

Looking for the preferred length, action and line size..
    I am looking to catch more fish..

Open water and around cover if that makes a difference.. I have had the hardest time setting the hook on a long cast.

Zoom Super Flukes are the lures I am fishing.
    Last edited by BassinJax; 06-20-2018 at 12:32 AM.

High vis braid to a fluoro leader. Braid to get the hook into them on a long cast, high vis as most fluke bites seem to be like Senko bites where the bait just takes off swimming during a pause. Fishing a fluke is how I first started using high vis braid.

I say put it on whatever rod and reel combo you can cast it with that has enough power to set the hook. This is one presentation where I think that part is far less important as you're not usually feeling for bites and you don't need a specific action to work the bait a certain way - anything will work. I often throw it on a medium-heavy spinning rod as I can just cast them a lot further on a spinning rod, but also need the power to set the hook. If you go the spinning rod route, try something like 20 lb braid (6 lb mono diameter) to whatever size leader you think is best. On a casting rod I'll usually just throw them on my jerkbait rod which usually has 40 lb braid (10 lb mono diameter) with an 8-10 lb leader. I don't end up with high vis in that situation, but you easily could use it, especially if you're setting up a rod dedicated to it.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I have tried several different rod/line combs over the last 15 years, and the best that I've found is a Loomis MBR843 using 15# floro for open water spattered hydrilla, and 20# floro or braid for heavier concentrations of hydrilla and pads.

4. Member
    Meant to say "scattered", not spattered. Autocorrect, uhg!

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    Meant to say "scattered", not spattered. Autocorrect, uhg!
    That's what the "Edit" button is for.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    I was fishing a slug go this weekend and with 15lb floro I also had trouble driving the hook home on long casts.
    Red Sox in 6!

7. Member
    I too usually fish them on a mh spinning rod. Seems easier to work and make long casts with. #15 braid with a flouro leader

8. Member
    Since most are saying med heavy
    what do you guys think of the Tatula elite AGS Ehler rod for flukes

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
    I have tried several different rod/line combs over the last 15 years, and the best that I've found is a Loomis MBR843 using 15# floro for open water spattered hydrilla, and 20# floro or braid for heavier concentrations of hydrilla and pads.
    This. 843 is an excellent rod. I use the same but with braid and a leader.

10. Member
    7' MH spinning rod with 15lb braid

11. Member
    MXF rod and 10 flourocarbon rarely misses for me, any hook from light wire to 6/0 Monster, they usually hit on slack line.

12. Member
    If you want a dedicated Fluke rod take a look at the Alpha Anglers Tac Mag - as it is a long, strong spinning rod - allows you to cast a light bait and drive a 3/0 or 4/0 hook still. Hard to beat this rod if you are using it ONLY for flukes or long casting tubes.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

Falcon Cara Finesse Jig Rod. 6'10" MH
    2015 Ranger Z520c / 2015 Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    I use a 7ft 4in medium heavy rod. Its a worm and jig model so it had good hooksetting power on long casts since I'm using a 4/0 hook with a super fluke .

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smalliehunter91 View Post
    I use a 7ft 4in medium heavy rod. Its a worm and jig model so it had good hooksetting power on long casts since I'm using a 4/0 hook with a super fluke .
    that sounds like the ticket, having that longer rod allows you to move more line maybe..
    Thanks all

16. Member
    St. Croix Triumph 6'6" Medium Fast TRS66MF
    Stradic Ci4 2500-3000

It has enough backbone to set the hook but also allow good flex at the tip for casting. I sometimes get a little carried away and to heavy of a rod can rip it right out or don't allow the bite to fully develop.
    There was underwater video on here of flukes and all the fish took it head first. The fluke has to turn around in the mouth before the hook can engage. I think the extra flex in the Medium rod allows that give/delay.

17. Member
    Alpha Angler Tac-Mag designed for this
    2000 BassCat Pantera 3
    2001 Merc Opti 200hp

18. Member
    I fished a weightless fluke on 6'6" walmart $20 rod all day yesterday in a tournament (casting rod) and caught prolly 40 fish. 17 keepers. Using straight floro 15lb. We were culling by 930 had a blast. I said all that to say dont ocer think it. Use what your comfortable with and can afford.
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    I fished a weightless fluke on 6'6" walmart $20 rod all day yesterday in a tournament (casting rod) and caught prolly 40 fish. 17 keepers. Using straight floro 15lb. We were culling by 930 had a blast. I said all that to say dont ocer think it. Use what your comfortable with and can afford.
    Sounds like i need to come and watch you fish a fluke.. Maybe the issue isn't equipment, its the ill-equipped, absent skilled angler dreamer..

20. Member
    My favorite is also a Loomis 843, 12 or 15 lb floro with a 7.1:1 reel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast