Trailer bearing grease

Is red and tacky good grease for boat trailer bearings or do I need marine wheel bearing grease?

2. Member
    Been using Mystic JT6 since early '80s. Never an issue and I tend to tow faster than most.
    Speed cost money. How fast ya wanna go? I have done so much for so long with so little. I can now do the impossible with nothing!

3. Member
    I use Walmart marine wheel bearing grease, blue in color. I have had good bearing life.

Quote Originally Posted by 10bites View Post
    Is red and tacky good grease for boat trailer bearings or do I need marine wheel bearing grease?
    The Lucas Red & Tacky got real popular a couple of years ago. I'm not sure how everyone else like it but I wasn't impressed. I can't say that it caused a bearing failure or anything like that, I just didn't like the way it looked after 6 months of use. When I went to repack the bearings, the Red & Tacky was pink and runny. No scientific test was done but in my opinion it had absorbed water. Red & Tacky is really designed for industrial and agricultural uses on exposed sliding surfaces.

I cleaned it out and repacked with Lucas Marine (blue). The blue marine grease seems to perform better but as soon as I use up the last tube of Lucas, I'm going back to Mystic JT6 (also branded as Citgo). Like I said, no scientific evidence, but just looking at it, the Mystic seemed to hold up better after use.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Banned
    Lucas Marine Blue , going on 3 years ,... no problems . Will be doing them again soon to be on the safe side . Do not want to be "that guy" on side of road ,... stuck ! ��

6. Member
    Make sure if it's being used on axle with brakes that it has the temperature rating also.

7. Member
    I use amsoil grease. I like it and repels water pretty well.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

8. Member
    Use calcium sulfonate based grease vs. lithium based. There are numerous articles about the subject, here is one https://royalmfg.com/lithcplxorcsc/index.cfm
    2005 Nitro NX 882
    2002 Mercury 175 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by bnt55 View Post
    Use calcium sulfonate based grease vs. lithium based. There are numerous articles about the subject, here is one https://royalmfg.com/lithcplxorcsc/index.cfm

10. Member
    if You look t the Lucas website, it shows the Lucas marine grease as a calcium sulfonte based grease and has better specs than the red n tacky. Problem I had was everywhere that had the Lucas marine grease for sale, it was a lithium based grease. So not sure if what’s on the web site is accurate or the lithium is new old stock because they changed the formula. Anyways went back to or actually stayed with mercury extreme grease which is a calcium sulfonate type grease. Calcium sulfonate is supposed to be compatible with lithium, but I just tear down and totally repack all the bearings.