Set up question, Boat falling off pad when hitting the throttle hard

Ok, got a 1998 Hydrasports 196. Running a 2004 Johnson 175 with a Raker 24. Prop to pad is 3.25”. WOT IS 5300-5400 depending on the load and 58-60 mph. My problem is once I plane out if I hold the throttle wide open the boat like doesn’t feel likes it’s on pad. If I let off the throttle for a second the engine changes tones and you can feel it on pad. Then I hammer it and it falls back off. Motor too high or too low?
    Last edited by Jwrong; 05-15-2018 at 06:47 AM.

sounds like the prop has lost some cup and needs to be worked.

3. Member
    Got the prop last year already re-worked from Murphy’s

4. Pat Goff
    You describe exactly the symptoms of a raker that needs a loving touch.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

5. Member
    I think i would come up on the jack plate also that seems low for hydro coming up will also get you a few more RPMS also.

6. Member
    I just remembered something that might help figure out what I need to do. This past weekend I had a buddy of mine with me, he’s about 350lb. I lost 10 mph with him in the boat and when I trimmed it fully I had a huge rooster tail. Like usually I don’t get to Full trim by myself I guess. It’s somewere in between.

7. Member
    Your engine is just a tad too high with the prop as it is,drop it down 1/4” and it should bite and hold the bow up. You could have some cup added to the prop but that lower your rpm also.You would be better to go to a 22 if you want to run a Raker.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Your engine is just a tad too high with the prop as it is,drop it down 1/4” and it should bite and hold the bow up. You could have some cup added to the prop but that lower your rpm also.You would be better to go to a 22 if you want to run a Raker.
    What rpm gain do you think I would get with a 22?

9. Member
    About 2-300. You willlikely get better performance with it too. On lots of boats,speed has a lot to do with lift,faster wind under the hull helps to lift it.

10. Member
    Jwrong, here is my advise. Try moving the plate and all that but if that does not work call Propeller Dynamics in Chester VA. Tell them what is going an they will probably be able to get your Raker working like you want.

11. Member
    I got a 22 Raker on the way to try, and I moved my motor down 1/4” so I’ll report back next week. It’ll be Monday or Tuesday before it gets here.