Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Mine did a hard stop several times under power. Just like the kill switch had been pulled. When the no start happened, I had to put a LOT of pressure on the button and the engine turned over slowly as if the battery was weak. Acted the same jumping off hot a TM battery. Got the boat in the shop and the tech fired it right up with the button. At that point we got rid of the button deal. According to the Omnibus manual the key switch will work if the start button malfunctions. That did not happen in my case. IMO, your kill switch is probably fine. Heck, your start/stop button may be fine too. lol. Look forward to hearing what the resolution turns out to be. Have a good, safe 4th!

2. Member
    I never heard of a Hard Stop. Is that for saving a motor that has issues? No alarm first but just a shutdown? You say the motor only turns over like a dead battery could be in the key switch. Any other reasons? This sounds like good info. for all to know.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTriton View Post
    Yes jb it is a 2011 triton with push pad start. Where did you get the new switch?
    In addition to the possibilities at the switch, harness, and button- a more COMMON problem I see is the orientation of the MODULE in the Starboard/Rear corner of the boat.

It is usually mounted with the power leads facing DOWN, and is too low, in an area that can build-up with WATER under the rear compartment seal/drains. Leaves the module sitting in water.

Have one customer that replaced two of these- I finally insisted it be relocated forward, higher, and rotated 90 degrees. No problems since.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Appreciate all the comments. I spoke with an engineer that worked on the design of the push button system. He was not happy with the push button design at the time and he has been very prophetic. He gave me directions on how to bypass the push button, and it is very simple. I went through the steps and the key switch works. Push button bypassed!
    On the water Saturday with high hopes and it did it again, so the push button is not the problem. It happened 2 times that day. First time as it came down to an idle and die,I could hear a fuel pump running at the motor. The second time it slowed down to an idle without going dead and I could not hear the fuel pump.
    the previous owner had the high speed fuel pump replaced. Could this be part of the problem?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Did you try a separate (transom mounted) keyswitch harness to confirm (or rule out) that the problem is in the boat side/harness?

Fuel pumps are among dozens of possibilities, of course.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    No sir, the mechanic did not try that but it makes sense to give that the next try. Can that harness be purchased and how economical is it? I asked a mechanic here in my hometown about that and they did not have one.

7. Member
    To further eliminate the boat side, might also check that all electrical connections in the battery compartment are clean and tight. Thanks for keeping us updated.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It's not that bad... but would be better if you didn't have to buy one. Rhonda (in our Parts Department) can get you one if you want to purchase.

9. Member
    Jbh,I have checked all connections at the battery. The voltage is a steady 13.9v during the whole time that the problem is occurring. Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12