Thread: WARNING!!

WARNING!!

I never thought it would happen but this last Saturday, I and the driver of my 21i got tossed overboard.
    I had agreed to free lessons on using and understanding my Lowrance graphs a bit better.
    I offered the wheel to a very experienced fisherman and we idled for a while from place to place.
    We made a couple of runs to different spots with no issue.
    He wanted to show me one last place and as we came out of one bay, heading to the next, he began to turn a bit sharp and the boat caught a wave or just a bad angle and we were in the water with a bit of violence.
    We both had our life vests on but he failed to hook up the kill switch.
    It was simply by the grace of the Lord that the motor was still turned slightly and began to circle us.
    We were able to swim to it and get back on board.
    Wet, scared and feeling a bit stupid, we went on to the last spot and then left for the day.
    ALWAYS
    ALWAYS
    ALWAYS wear your life vests and kill switch.
    Ask or better yet, tell your partner to do the same

2. Banned
    Wow, glad you guys made it out alive.

That's why you always trim down before turning. Glad you both made it back in one piece.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

4. Member
    Glad y’all are ok God was watching over y’all for sure. Hopefully your misfortune will be a lesson to all to wear their life vest and kill switch, I see so many people not wearing a life vest and cringe every time, people think it will never happen to them.
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

5. Member
    Glad to hear a good ending, Be Safe

Glad all is well.
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

7. Member
    Glad your okay! On a little different note but still about being thrown from the boat. Some friends of mine were fishing a tournament and somehow the co-angler fell from the boat. The boat owner didn't even know the guy fell in and kept on trolling. When he finally realized the co-anger fell in he turned the boat around. The co-angler wasn't wearing his life jacket and was treading water. When the boater got back to the co-angler he tried to throw the life jacket to the guy but of course the wind caught it so that didn't work. The co-angler was so tired at that point he couldn't use the ladder to get back into the boat so he just held on to the ladder and the boater trolled him to the shore. A few things to keep in mind.

1. Wear your life jacket even while fishing
    2. If you have a throw cushion make sure you have easy access to it and have a rope tied to it.
    3. Make sure your co-angler or passenger knows how to use the ladder if needed and if you don't have one on your boat get one.

These type of accidents are bad but good learning. Glad everyone was okay in this accident!
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

8. Member
    so true

9. Member
    Glad you guys are ok. Always good to have a reminder. Thanks for sharing.

10. Banned
    Like a seat belt, I feel naked without a life jacket HOOKED to Kill Switch.

11. Member
    Glad you guys are OK! I rode with a guy once when I was much younger and he claimed "I never wear a life jacket. Lake is too full of people, if something happens to me that's just more open water for a new guy."

Whaaa?
    Need a new bow step pad for your boat? Do what I did!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=712307

Are your boat seats trashed? Fix them yourself and save $1000!
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=754944

12. Member
    Wow glad your ok and you were able to get back in the boat

13. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Man that had to have been scary. Glad that you both made it out ok!!

14. Member
    My buddy thrown out at 70mph during a tourney. Hit a cross wave and boat went 1 way and he went the other. Had life jacket and kill switch attached. You have to be careful on the water, 1 little mistake can cost your life.

Life lesson for ALL...

I wear the "pull" light vest from engine start to engine out at the launch without exception....started this 3 years ago...
    kill switch is NOT an option when engine is in gear...

thanx for your post...it will save a life or a limb...bet on that!

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

16. Member
    Im glad you guys are ok. Too many times we hear of someone getting killed because of no life jacket was worn. Some people think its too bulky or too hot to wear. I always wear my automatic inflatable life jacket from the time I step on board my boat till it's out of the water. I also have a whistle on my life jackets. Its loud and will attract someones attention when needed. I have a locking retractable lanyard that is connected to my life jacket. On it I have my kill switch tab on it. It works great and keeps my kill switch tab out of the way when not in use. My motor won't start with out it connected to the kill switch. I have rules to ride in my boat, if you want in my boat you wear a life jacket till you get out and no smoking. No exceptions
    1996 Skeeter ZX-180 w/ 150 Mercury EFI, Humminbird 997c SI w/ XHS 9 HDSI 180 T, XPT 9 QB 90 T, XP 9 20 transducers, XM NavWeather, WeatherSense, Wireless Sonar Link and GRHA gps

Better to be safe than sorry
    To Our Troops

17. Member
    glad to hear that you are safe. I always wear the kill switch around my wrist and have my life vest on when the big motor is running.