Hey man, how fast will that boat run?

I know you guys hear this as much as I do!

EVERY tournament that we've fished this year on my son's high school trail, multiple teenagers and adults come up and ask me about my boat. We have not had a single day that someone hasn't commented on it. At least four different people asked me about it yesterday. On the water, at the gas pump, in parking lots, everywhere people come up and ask.

Yesterday, one teen said, "hey, we were fishing up river when you came by, how fast were you running?" I said, "maybe 70-75 at most." He said, "man that thing sounds beautiful, like a jet air plane!"

These boats do have a pretty cool sound running on the water.

I'll also say, I never really get tired of talking about the boat so I don't mind at all when people approach me about it, that's one of the benefits of owning an Allison. It's pretty cool to have something different. I've looked at several of the newer production boats on our trail and I honestly like several of them but they're may be 5 or 6 of the exact same boat and color scheme at every tournament. I never thought I'd like them but the new Skeeters are really nice looking boats also.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

2. Member
    I'm with you Joe. If I had a hundred bucks every time I've been asked that question I'd be a pretty wealthy man. I usually say "faster than I need to go" when I answer. The old die-hard cookie boat guys almost never ask though. I believe it is a show of indignation on their part. LOL. I took 2 high schoolers fishing this week for a tournament. I couldn't fish the tournament out of my boat but in practice I could. I made 2 new Allison fans out those young men. One of them, a senior, had told me before we went out on Friday that "One day" he would own a Ranger or a Skeeter. Those were his wishing list boats. When we were on the way home from Pickwick the same young man said "Well, its time to admit it. I no longer want a Ranger or a Skeeter. My dream boat is an Allison Bassport! LOL. That was pretty sweet to hear. I never got faster than 87 with him in the boat but that was 15 mph faster than he had ever been on the water.

3. Member
    Johnny, it's not the die-hard cookie boat guys that come over and ask about the Bassport, it's their kids when dad isn't looking

4. Member
    Joeally, were you on Neely this weekend for Alabama Bass Nation 2-day? If so, I saw a blue/white one Saturday looking sweet but not going fast, LOL. Too much traffic at the 77 bridge area.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

5. Member
    Be careful, im on my 3rd season with the boat and ive had 2 really close calls.. some guys just dont like being past.. had a guy in a skeeter try to run me all the way to the bank when i was going by him and another guy in a bullet almost run into the side of me and he barley missed the guy behind me , im not sure where he came from.. ive found i can get by just about anyone running low to mid 70s and ive really learned to just take it easy and be safe on tourney days..and yes i get asked everywhere i go how fast it is.. i just say its fast enough..

6. Member
    You guys are lucky, nobody talks to me. They just stare me down and turn away.

I usually reply "Not fast enough". I find it true. This boat is a sickness.....

I usually take the time to stop and talk with everyone. Unless we are blocking the ramp. I've met some really cool people and heard some good stories. Everyone knows somebody with a 200mph boat. LOL
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

8. Member
    I tell them as fast i want to go
    I Drive a Allison because I can Drive a Allison

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    Joeally, were you on Neely this weekend for Alabama Bass Nation 2-day? If so, I saw a blue/white one Saturday looking sweet but not going fast, LOL. Too much traffic at the 77 bridge area.
    Yes I was & yes the traffic was pretty thick!

I don’t ever run it WOT with the teens in the boat & I'm extra careful in traffic with them.

10. Member
    I love the old "it's fast but I'll smoke it once the water gets rough" that's when you can really hurt some feelings.

Johnny Johnson

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atcje View Post
    I love the old "it's fast but I'll smoke it once the water gets rough" that's when you can really hurt some feelings.
    Yes, one kid was complimenting my boat in front of his friends then he had to comment on how light it must be to run so fast in good conditions. He appeared shocked when I told him the rough water ride was more important to me than the top speed.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOEALLY View Post
    Yes I was & yes the traffic was pretty thick!

I don’t ever run it WOT with the teens in the boat & I'm extra careful in traffic with them.
    I did no fish Saturday but DID eyeball that sweet looking boat from the helm of my pontoon.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drake322 View Post
    I did no fish Saturday but DID eyeball that sweet looking boat from the helm of my pontoon.
    I saw more pontoon boats Saturday than I've seen on a lake this year. The beautiful and really warm (hot) weather had people out enjoying the water.

14. Member
    I'm like River Rocket, not fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Strokerdean View Post
    I'm like River Rocket, not fast enough.

My experience has been that most of the time people ignore any knid of conversation about the boat and if they do they try to make the point thats all its good for. Been told it was a tater chip hulled boat. Never by another go fast boat just main stream mass produced bass boat owners.

This is what I hear all the time... Tater chip.. break apart ,,, ride ruff.. One guy was bad mouthing a Bullet.. he has a Ranger. I asked him if he had ever rode in a Bullet and he said no,, I just shook my head and laughed ..

Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    My experience has been that most of the time people ignore any knid of conversation about the boat and if they do they try to make the point thats all its good for. Been told it was a tater chip hulled boat. Never by another go fast boat just main stream mass produced bass boat owners.

18. Member
    The craziest story of arrogance and ignorance I have about our boats is related to a call I got from my nephew one time several years back. It was before the nephew got my first Bassport. I owned it at the time. It seems a guy with a cat boat was in a tackle store near Jasper, AL telling everybody his boat would outrun any boat with a 250 in the state. My nephew, being a 30 something year old man who had driven and ridden in my boat many times, politely told the man with the cat that he best not make any bets with an Allison owner. The man proceeded to tell nephew he'd bet $500 that he could outrun the old Uncle's Bassport. So, nephew calls me up and tells me has an ignorant cat owner wanting me to bring my boat to Smith Lake and he was going to outrun me in a mile run for $500. Nephew said he'd put the $500 up just to shut the guy up. I told nephew I wouldn't run for money but if the guy was bent on getting his butt handed to him, I'd be glad to do it for free but I wasn't going to drive to Smith to do it. I'd meet him at Ingalls in Decatur. The guy wouldn't do it. Nephew told him unless the cat could run in the 90's he best keep his mouth shut or he was going to lose money. The guy really thought he had a faster boat with a 250 than anybody on the water. Nephew said he was dumb but not drunk. LOL

19. Member
    This year, on the high school trail, it's been mostly younger guys, with a few older guys and most have been respectful but shocked when I tell them it great in rough water.

And, several times, it's been the officials on the dock or the volunteers commenting on it.