488VS Trolling Motor Shaft Length

What shaft length do you guys recommend? I am going to get an Ulterra, but can't decide if I should go with a 45" or 60" shaft. I mainly fish small lakes, but I do take a yearly trip to Lake of the Woods and usually another large lake. I was thinking of going with the 60" since the Ulterra has power trim, but I am worried about it interfering with casting since I primarily fish smaller, shallow water.

2. Member
    I run a 45" ultrex on mine

That's what I am leaning towards.

Whoa, that's a massive difference in shaft length! (that's what she said....) Assuming our boats sit at roughly the same height at the bow, I run a 45" shaft on my 481vs and have never wanted anything longer. With it adjusted all the way down it only blows out of the water on the roughest water I'd be willing to fish in. I'm horrible at gauging wave height, but I'd feel comfortable saying it requires more than 1 footers to blow mine out. In full disclosure, there are also a lot of days on Lake of the Woods that have water conditions I wouldn't be willing to fish in, at least in my bass boat.

It's worth asking whether you go to the Minnesota side or Canadian side of LotW. If you go there I'm sure you know, but the Canadian side has tons of options for getting out of the wind due to all the islands and the way it winds in and out of the landscape. The MN side, not so much...

Either way, there's no way I'd deal with a 60 inch shaft the rest of the year on the off chance it might come in handy on one or two trips a year. That sounds awful.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

That is pretty much the same conclusion I came to. We fish pretty far up north on the Canadian side, and you are completely right about the islands. We have had a few bad storms blow in on us pretty quick, and we just beach on an island until it blows over.

So, I just ordered a 45" from Rich at Hydrilla Gear!

6. Member
    I have a 60 on my 487. I'm very happy with it. I replaced a 45 fortress with it. Originally I wanted a 52 inch but there weren't any available this time last year so I took the 60. I figured better a little longer than too short. I know the 45 came out of the water all the time here on Winni or on Champlain. Continouosly most days with some wind. The 60 is only 8 inches longer than the 52 and the collar/splindle/mount eats up some of that. When I'm super shallow, yes, it does stick up pretty far. Do I hit it once in a while with flipping, pitching, or casting? Yes but only a few times and then it's not even on my radar. I'm very happy I got the 60. If all I fished was shallow water and no wind then the 45 or 52 would have been fine. In wind and waves now I sit, hit spot lock and fish. Love it.

7. Member
    you can shorten the shaft
    Dadgumit

Gone Fisnin Nuff Said
    I started with nothing I still have most of it left
    God must love dumb people he made a lot of them
    1995 488 VS Mercury 2.5 XRI 200