Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jay74 View Post
    I was just asking because I was trying to decide between an Ultrex or Ulterra. I've had back surgery and both shoulders replaced so I was thinking auto deploy and stow would be the ticket for this ol' fart.
    Yeah, I hear ya. I considered them, that style pedal anyway, becuase I broke both ankles and my range of motion is not what it once was. But, I have the Ultrex and love it. Considering a bay boat in the future and it will probably have an Ulterra on it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by ciasurv View Post
    I think you would like the Ulterra. I had always owned MG motors and had no complaints.

When I sold my bass boat and went to a bay boat I wanted a motor that was salt water
    friendly.

The Ulterra has worked great for me . The first generation spot lock was not good but the new
    models are very good. Have had 2 of these and so far , the trim & auto stow/deploy work as should.

I use a foot pedal about 75% of the time and after a little getting used to , no problem . Not much
    learning curve.

Mounting a transducer is a little tricky with the cables having to deploy & stow . Precision Sonar
    has adapter that helped a good bit.

Word of advice , if you get one , when you hit the spot lock or anchor button , try to not to be moving .

If you are drifting to a spot and set it , you will keep drifting while it locks on thus it will head back to lock point
    and jerk you around a bit.

Also research the boat scale setting.

Good luck !
    The advice against hitting spotlock while drifting forward applies to the Ultrex as well.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

3. Member
    I've had an Ulterra since mid March. I've been on the water around 30 times since then. I could not be happier with it. About 3 weeks ago I took the foot pedal off and put it in a compartment under the deck. If you turn the auto pilot on it's very easy to only bump the left and right on occasion and stay in a straight line, for fishing docks or a grass line. Follow the contour is also fantastic if you have Humminbird electronics.

4. Member
    One last question. If something goes wrong with the auto feature can you stow and deploy manually until you get the auto piece repaired?

Thanks!

5. Member
    One last question. If something goes wrong with the auto feature can you stow and deploy manually until you get the auto piece repaired?

Thanks!

YES
    I have a ulterra manual .pdf saved on my computer (if I can find it)
    I'll email it to you shows the process.

6. Member
    Thanks!

7. Member
    Thanks!
    I've found it. If you will PM me your email address I'll send it to you. If that dosent work , they are available on the Minn Kota site under support.

Just to clarify , you can get it stowed if it tears up while deployed but I don't think you can keep using it until repaired. ?? Have to research that one..

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    The advice against hitting spotlock while drifting forward applies to the Ultrex as well.
    True, but good advice. I just make sure I'm always pointing into the wind because that's where I'm gonna end up. I wait for the breeze to slow me down a bit, then hit the button.
    25th Anniversary Champion 187 SCX Elite
    Mercury 175 EFI
    Perception Pescador Pro 120 Kayak
    Aquos 10ft Pontoon Boat

9. Member
    I use my uncle's Ulterra pretty regularly and half the time it won't deploy and I want to throw it overboard. While I'm fishing I usually just trim it all the way up vertically and never tilt it back to the stow position because deploying is so hit or miss.

2 reasons. Not a cable drive and can’t take a beating like a fortrex/ultrex can. Personally I can’t stand them but that’s just me.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

11. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sokyangler View Post
    I use my uncle's Ulterra pretty regularly and half the time it won't deploy and I want to throw it overboard. While I'm fishing I usually just trim it all the way up vertically and never tilt it back to the stow position because deploying is so hit or miss.
    Keeping the latch pins lubed with grease will fix that, also need to put some grease on the spiral gear that stows and deploys....Just like anything else maintenance is key....

12. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    2 reasons. Not a cable drive and can’t take a beating like a fortrex/ultrex can. Personally I can’t stand them but that’s just me.
    I beg to differ on the beating..my one year old Ulterra has visited more rocks and stumps than most folks will get close too....still going strong.

13. Member
    I have 2 ulterra questions: Does anyone sell lighter/weaker springs for the ulterra foot pedal? Trolling for crappie while holding 2 poles makes it kinda tough to use the remote.
    The foot pedal right/left is real hard unless you're standing up. I'd like softer, weaker springs. Minnkota doesn't make them. Also, what's the range for the remote if you spotlock after launch and the parking lot is a hundred yards from the ramp?

14. Member
    I bought an Ultrex primarily for the 360 Imaging mounting on the trolling motor shaft. Frankly I wish I had gone with the Ultrex and the transom mount 360 transducer. The 360 with the ultrex is too heavy for this 63yr old. I may sell both and go with the ulterra.

Just put the new Ultrex on my boat today and also have an Ulterra but was tired of wondering if it was going to deploy and stow when I used it .

16. Member
    LTZ25 did you have deploy and stow problems with the Ulterra before you swapped to the Ultrex? If so, what specific problems did you experience?

LTZ25 did you have deploy and stow problems with the Ulterra before you swapped to the Ultrex? If so, what specific problems did you experience?
    Yes I had a belt break on Ulterra and it was 3 years old and decided it was time for another TM and almost went with a new Ulterra but got the ultrex with the lift assist , its easy to deploy , but still have the ulterra in case I want to swap back . My main gripe with the Ulterra is that its a pain to manually retrieve in the case of a malfunction .

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Yes I had a belt break on Ulterra and it was 3 years old and decided it was time for another TM and almost went with a new Ulterra but got the ultrex with the lift assist , its easy to deploy , but still have the ulterra in case I want to swap back . My main gripe with the Ulterra is that its a pain to manually retrieve in the case of a malfunction .
    Smacked it on the bottom in some waves, didn't you?

I've three+ seasons on my Ulterra; learned how to set it all back up after such an episode.

Never had a belt break,though, only popped the anchor point in the head. Should it happen, trim UP once is ok, but down means a little more work.

Still wouldn't trade it for an Ultrex, though.
    Last edited by 188Musky; 06-10-2018 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 188Musky View Post
    Smacked it on the bottom in some waves, didn't you?
    Honestly , I got it wrong belt broke a year ago and was repaired under warranty , a couple of months ago it would not deploy and I tried to adjust the Allen head screw and it was so tight I was afraid I was going to snap it off , took it to service center and they said last person to work on it way over tightened it and caused damage to the part . I ordered a Ultrex and now have it on boat but I still have the repaired Ulterra and would not hesitate to put it back on boat . If I compare the 2 units it would be hard because the Ultrex is latest made and my Ulterra is first edition . Does new Ulterra have blue tooth heading sensor ?

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Honestly , I got it wrong belt broke a year ago and was repaired under warranty , a couple of months ago it would not deploy and I tried to adjust the Allen head screw and it was so tight I was afraid I was going to snap it off , took it to service center and they said last person to work on it way over tightened it and caused damage to the part . I ordered a Ultrex and now have it on boat but I still have the repaired Ulterra and would not hesitate to put it back on boat . If I compare the 2 units it would be hard because the Ultrex is latest made and my Ulterra is first edition . Does new Ulterra have blue tooth heading sensor ?
    Mine's the first edition, too; but the latest is on my list. Just haven't gotten around to ordering one yet. My back-up is a Terrova, and I'd like to sell one of them first. I've also considered getting an Ultrex for #2, semi-seriously.

I believe a bluetooth heading sensor is used on the new one, for the jog feature.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast