Hydrowave H2 Problem

Just recently bought a used Hydrowave H2. The seller claimed it was only used a few times.

I installed it yesterday running power on it's own fuse from the power block under the console. When I installed it I tested it out of the water and everything worked, each setting would generate sound at the speaker.

Put it in the water this morning and nothing from the speaker. Unit powers up and I can cycle through all the menu and it will show it's playing the sounds but nothing coming from the speaker. Volume is at maximum.

Appreciate any ideas, but I'm guessing it has to be the speaker? Maybe the housing wasn't waterproof and once it hit the water it conked out? Thanks.

2. Member
    Did it work when you pulled it up out of the water? I had a similar issue my one solder joint on the speaker came disconnected. Double check volume and test on continuous.

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beallright View Post
    Did it work when you pulled it up out of the water? I had a similar issue my one solder joint on the speaker came disconnected. Double check volume and test on continuous.
    Did not work when I pulled it out of the water. I disconnected it and hooked everything back up when I got home and still doesn't work. I made sure it was on continuous and volume was max when I checked it out. Can the speaker enclosure be opened to check the connections internally? I saw there are screws holding it together, I just don't know if it's sealed or not.

Remove the screws and pry the case apart. There are 2 wires that should be attached. You should be able to see where. Also, make sure the speaker plate is secure. If all that is good, check to see if the wire is not broken. You'll need a ohm meter to do this.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Remove the screws and pry the case apart. There are 2 wires that should be attached. You should be able to see where. Also, make sure the speaker plate is secure. If all that is good, check to see if the wire is not broken. You'll need a ohm meter to do this.

Wilco, Thanks. I would have checked for continuity yesterday but wasn't sure if the enclosure was sealed or not. I'll check it out tonight. Thanks.

6. Member
    Checked continuity on the speaker today and it has a good circuit. Is it possible the speaker can still be bad yet have continuity? I went ahead and ordered a replacement speaker so it's somewhat of a moot point. Hopefully, this is the problem.

Last time I buy any used boat electronics. This is the second thing I have bought in the past month that ended up having problems. It isn't worth the headache to save a few bucks. With the cost of a replacement speaker I'm almost at the cost of new and still have a used Hydrowave. Caveat Emptor.
    Last edited by mastergun; 05-14-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    Checked continuity on the speaker today and it has a good circuit. Is it possible the speaker can still be bad yet have continuity? I went ahead and ordered a replacement speaker so it's somewhat of a moot point. Hopefully, this is the problem.

Last time I buy any used boat electronics. This is the second thing I have bought in the past month that ended up having problems. It isn't worth the headache to save a few bucks. With the cost of a replacement speaker I'm almost at the cost of new and still have a used Hydrowave. Caveat Emptor.
    Did you check the speaker plate to make sure it is attached to the housing ?? It has to be solid to work
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    Did you check the speaker plate to make sure it is attached to the housing ?? It has to be solid to work
    It was in place when I took the enclosure apart to check for continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by mastergun View Post
    It was in place when I took the enclosure apart to check for continuity.
    It has to be secured and not loose or it won't work.
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms

10. Member
    Closing this out. Unit works with a new speaker. Now, the challenge of figuring how and when to use it.