Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Most comfortable riding boat within price range...

What do you think the best riding, as in most comfortable in the slop (think very busy lake with lots of yachts, like Lanier on a holiday weekend for example) is within the 20-30K price range?

I love my Pantera II, but Im willing to trade some performance for comfort as Im getting older and fishing with my father more. I would trade to a Puma/Cougar but dont think the ride improvement would be worth the time/expense. The extra fishing room of a 21fter will just be a bonus.

Initial thoughts are Phoenix 721, but Im all ears... what do you think guys?
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

2. Banned
    Wait one second............................, OK , I’m ready!

Be interesting to hear the opinions on this subject. Hard to beat a Cat for dry and stable in rough water when you’re talking similar sizes.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Banned
    I know rough water, frequent Lake Erie, and the 2 best rough water fiberglass bassboats I've owned are a Basscat Puma, and a Champion 183. Honestly, the 18'3" Champion handled just as well or better than the 20'4" BC Puma, so length isn't necessarily the deciding factor.
    Champion makes ("made") the BEST rough water bassboat, bar none!!!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Wait one second............................, OK , I’m ready!
    fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Be interesting to hear the opinions on this subject. Hard to beat a Cat for dry and stable in rough water when you’re talking similar sizes.
    Maybe I need to ride in a Puma/Cougar... for guys who have been in both PII and Puma (06 SB looking your way haha) is there a significant difference in rough water ride? Anyone at Hartwell with one want to take me for a ride on weekend when its rough? Ill return the favor with a spin in an 85 mph PII haha.

I was thinking you needed to get to 21 fters to get a truly good and soft ride, esp seeing all the praise the 21 ft Phoenix gets... I also thought about going back to a Stratos 201. Either way I plan to hang my motor on whatever I end up with and sell whatever is on there. Could hang a HydroTec hammer on the PII to sell it so that it's still an 80 mph rig

7. Banned
    Phoenix seems to be considered very soft...ranger z521 eats 2 to 3 ft chop but not as soft over boat wakes...my partners skeeter is soft too...fx21...on the thruster in rough water Ranger hands down

8. Member
    Risco, I’ve owned a Puma, then Cougar, and now I’m in a P2. Although for a 19 footer, the P2 is a great ride, the larger Cats handle the rougher stuff much better. Get out and drive one in rough water.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Your initial thought is correct so long as you can find one in your price range.

10. Member
    One of the softest boats I’ve driven in rough water was a Bullet 21XRS. I’ve driven both a PII and owned a Cougar. The Cougar will spoil you. I’ve tested the Champion 183, sorry while that is a FANTASTIC 18 footer when it really gets rough it’s not as nice on the back end as the Cougar/Puma. Different drivers maybe?

If you’re into speed (reads like you are) and don’t want one of the really big boats like a Jag or Ranger “D” then I’d have to look at the Allison 21, Bullet XRS, Sterling, etc.. those go fast hulls will surprise you when it gets rough.

The PII should handle most conditions albeit at a slower pace.

I've been in all brands when you were pissing blood when you got to your starting spot. I've also been in all of them when you swore up and down it was the best ride ever. Depends on driver and wave size........Slow down a little and learn to drive and they'll all be fine.

Ok - I just moved from a PII to a Puma FTD

the PII handled the rough stuff just fine, but the PUMA is better in every aspect. The extra Room really makes the Puma a dream. The extra weight makes the ride smoother.

Good luck, but be real careful before leaving Bass Cat. You also may consider a Caracal. Even a Pantera Classic may fit the billl.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

Quote Originally Posted by J Risco View Post
    fair enough

Maybe I need to ride in a Puma/Cougar... for guys who have been in both PII and Puma (06 SB looking your way haha) is there a significant difference in rough water ride? Anyone at Hartwell with one want to take me for a ride on weekend when its rough? Ill return the favor with a spin in an 85 mph PII haha.

I was thinking you needed to get to 21 fters to get a truly good and soft ride, esp seeing all the praise the 21 ft Phoenix gets... I also thought about going back to a Stratos 201. Either way I plan to hang my motor on whatever I end up with and sell whatever is on there. Could hang a HydroTec hammer on the PII to sell it so that it's still an 80 mph rig

And 80MPH PII

id be happy to take you out in a Puma FTD if you make it down to Jacksonville FL
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

14. Member
    The Sterling 22 will outshine them all...but hard to get

15. California Fishing Moderator Captain Babito A7T3C's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roosterman View Post
    I've been in all brands when you were pissing blood when you got to your starting spot. I've also been in all of them when you swore up and down it was the best ride ever. Depends on driver and wave size........Slow down a little and learn to drive and they'll all be fine.
    This.

Brand of boat will only help so much if you're not capable of driving properly in those conditions.
    2017 Nitro Z18 - Mercury ProXS 175 - 24P Fury - Elite 9 TI2 - Fortrex

16. Member
    I would say your gonna have to get into the the 20 ft plus range to fit you needs. I've been in most and owned a lot of them. I currently have a p 2 and yes it will jar your teeth on a bad day but it fits the bill for me. A couple of the soft rides that I remember was the big champions and believe it or not was the big bullet.

17. Member
    stratos 20-21 footer rides/drives very nice!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Hey John. My Cougar definitely rides better than my PII. I asked my son which rides better and he said the Cougar also. He drives it all the time too. If you are in the area, let me know. You can take it for a spin.

I think most folks think their latest boat rides “by far” the best. I think that is a crock. I laugh at the guys that say they rode in brand X and how their brand Y is much better. When you are the driver, the ride is always smoother for you. You have a positive hand hold, can anticipate the waves and a host of other things the passenger does not have or see. The driver is also familiar with how his boats rides. It feels more normal. The driver matters a lot and I know you know how to drive.

I personally would look at Basscat Cougar/Puma, Eyra, Charger 210, or the big Phoenix boats.
    Last edited by 06 SB; 05-14-2018 at 09:11 PM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    stratos 20-21 footer rides/drives very nice!!
    id agree..fast too

Appreciate all the input guys! I knew the driving thing would come up, I promise I know how to drive haha and it DOES matter, but you cant deny that a longer boat rides better and softer when its sloppy out. My PII does great, I never take water over the rail, but you do have to take it much slower and careful and one wrong move hurts a lot worse than in the 20+ fters. I know Im asking about them but I have been in a good number of bigger boats (used to own a 20ft Stratos).

I would def consider an Ally xb21 but dont think I can touch one in my price range and the 21 ft Bullet has always been in consideration.

I would love to stay with BCB so I think Im going to have to find a ride in a Puma/Cougar on a rough day before I can make any decision.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast