Mercury xri long restart when hot

Hey guys I have a 1994 mercury xri 200 the serial
    Number is og105191 this motor runs great starts right
    Up at ramp and runs like a champ. Lately after you make a run or with temps climbing and being warm outside it doe not want to restart when I get it to start runs great with no issues until you shut it off. I replaced a ton of stuff over the last 2 years not related to this problem of you need a list I will provide any help is appreciated thanks

2. Member
    sprk on all 6 when no start, does electric pump run when no start occurs
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Yes sir pump runs and has spark it wants to start but it doesn't thank you for your reply

4. Member
    does it smoke badly when it does start likely fuel flooding crank case, or air or cyl head temp sensor, out of range
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Yes it does more than usual when it does start is there anyway to stop if it is flooding or is just from cranking for longtime

6. Member
    find fuel leakage start at pulse pump

7. Member
    Would the leakage be on the high side or low side or both

8. Member
    could be either, rapid drop on fuel psi gage will tell if fuel leak in induction manifold,could also be reed , check for check valve operation on bottom of vst,= to much oil in fuel mixture, git er done

9. Member
    Please post results. I’ve been fighting this issue for 3 years. Motor runs great other than the hard hot start.

10. Member
    I have not been able to find anything it's hard because everything on motor is new. The only thing I can come up with is ball pump I can pump it up and within 2 minutes it is soft.

11. Member
    Mine has to sit. If you shut it down it’ll start right back up. Let it sit and heat soak for 30 mins+, you have to advanced the throttle, starts up, smokes for a few seconds, then runs totally normal. Otherwise runs great.

12. Member
    Do y’all ever try pumping bulb before trying to hot start it? Heat soak can vaporize the gas in the fuel system/lines causing bubbles and vapor to be present. So pump/injectors/VST have to work through bubbles in the system first to get full fuel into cylinders. Not necessarily your problem but possible.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    Batman mine is exact same way. When it starts smokes foe a minute then fine. I thought about the vaporized fuel but is there a solution to it

14. Member
    I’ve pumped and not pumped the ball. Same result, mine does stay firm though. I haven’t replaced the reeds but it seems a reed issue would be cold as well. Maybe Joe can elaborate on that.

15. Member
    I checked my reeds and I have none broken

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you crack the throttle open (1/4 to 1/2") it may actually fire right off. Have you tried this?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Member
    Yes sir. Crack the throttle and it starts. That’s how I’ve been starting mine when it’s warm.

18. Member
    Sometimes that works for and sometimes not

19. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Also make sure the primer bulb is pumped firm before EVERY start. ESPECIALLY critical in warmer weather.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor