Question Hydraulic steering - When to replace helm ?

It seems my steering is not what it once was.. Considering everything but the cylinder is 12 years old and on it's 3rd engine. I'm wondering what the life expectancy of the helm might be.. And what issues might start showing to warrant a new one.

2. Member
    There's a place somewhere in South Florida that can rebuild yours for about 1/2 the
    price of buying new.. Don't remember the name but have seen them on Ship Shape TV
    several times.. You should be able to find them with a little research ..

Boatsteer.com They will rebuild the entire system for short money. Was going to send mine this winter but never got around to taking the helm station out. Mine is 18 years old without issue so I don't see why you would worry about yours. Send it in during the off season...
    http://www.boatsteer.com/

Thanks gentlemen.
    It seems like it's harder to turn than it used to be.

5. Member
    Helms do go bad. Just replaced mine. Only two years old but had 1000 hours on it. Guide boat. If you cant find a leak after bleeding its probably the helm.

6. Banned
    Seal failure from age or extended periods with contaminated hyd oil should be the only reasons these units should ever fail. Power steering systems on autos are under way more stress and go 1000s of hours with no issue. Time and heat are the enemy of seals, contamination (think moisture) and corrosion for the hard parts. A good flush and fluid change every couple years and it should outlive you, except for maybe a seal or 2

Quote Originally Posted by dtrooster View Post
    Seal failure from age or extended periods with contaminated hyd oil should be the only reasons these units should ever fail. Power steering systems on autos are under way more stress and go 1000s of hours with no issue. Time and heat are the enemy of seals, contamination (think moisture) and corrosion for the hard parts. A good flush and fluid change every couple years and it should outlive you, except for maybe a seal or 2

8. Banned
    Same Millspec as Seapro oil for 1/3 the price. Will flush your system twice. My cylinder is getting new seals and a system flush as we speak. It’s a 2001

9. Member
    Just replaced my 13 yr old Helm due to i had to keep turning it slowly in one direction to keep the boat straight running down the lake and after multiple times of bleeding it. Now its like a brand new boat. more responsive easier to turn and not to mention no play in the tilt part any more. Dang expensive though!! And thats doing all the work myself.