Thread: UFP Brakes

UFP Brakes

For my 2004 Triton dual axle trailer, TR21X. Marine Master using UFP axles, DB 42 brakes and GOLD oil filled hubs, brakes on back axle only. Trailer tag has each axle labelled at 2250 lbs. Hubs have been flawless and I change 50 weight out every few years for maintenance. Flushed out brake fluid 6 years ago with new.

Over the winter I noticed leakage from one of my hubs, coming from the inner seal. At most, 1/4 of fluid leaked out over the 7 months it was parked so leak is not horrible but something I will fix asap. Inspection found about 8 feet of fishing line wrapped around it so I drained / refilled all four hubs with fresh 50 while I was in there.

I noticed too that my rotors need replacing, the inside face is grooved enough that I'd go below spec with a full rotor resurfacing. Also, I've also been thinking about going with four wheel brakes by adding a set to my front axle so now seems like a great time to do everything at once. New brakes, new inner seals, new bearings and new O-rings on hub pistons for all four wheels.

Questions I could use help with:

Seems folks are recommending swapping the DB42 calipers out and going with DB35 now. Is that the best route?

Will have to take wheel back off and look at min thickness stamp but pretty sure they're matching DB42 rotors. That of course dictates the bearing and seal size so I assume that I'll need to buy DB42 rotors and DB35 calipers / brackets to complete the conversion. Is that correct?

Do I need to order the stainless lip guard that the seal rides on, I expect marking and think a fresh seal would be best served with a fresh running surface. Sound right?

Lastly, I use Lucas Hub oil, doubt there is better but if there is, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Hmmm, wonder too if I should add the brackets and shocks to my trailer..... Lol

2. Member
    DB35 calipers will bolt right up to the brake flange without a bracket. Simply remove your caliper and mounting bracket along with your rotor. Now mount the new DB35 rotor, then drop the caliper over the rotor and affix with the two mounting bolts to the rear brake flange that is welded on your axle. The bearings and seals will be the same.l

3. Member
    Thank you very much for the information. So for each corner I would need :

41019 DB-35 Rotor
    42015 DB-35 Caliper (or 41050 - only launch in freshwater)
    L68149 inner bearing (L68110 race)
    L44649 outer bearing (L44610 race)
    1.68" ID x 2.56" OD inner seal

I can also use a 200010 dual banjo fitting to easily connect both axles.

Reinstall my Gold piston from old set and add two more 07501 for 4 wheels, refill with 50 weight and go fishing.

4. Member
    Actually, even though system is bled tight, does the A60 have the volume to pressurize 4 calipers fully, perhaps I am better sticking with the two on the rear axle only.

5. Member
    I believe you need a different actuator for the four wheel brake system. The A60 is for single axle brakes only.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Weare View Post
    Actually, even though system is bled tight, does the A60 have the volume to pressurize 4 calipers fully, perhaps I am better sticking with the two on the rear axle only.
    A60 is a series of actuators. It comes in a single axle and a tandem model.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    From what I can see, the push rod is the main difference, could be wrong but the parts breakdown indicates that and I've looked at pictures of the rods, totally different between single and dual applications.

8. Member
    The pushrod is the ONLY difference. The single pushrod spring is 3" long and the tandem spring is 1 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" bushing accompanying it on the shaft.

9. Scraps
    I have an A-60 on a tandem.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD