Cool James river is HOT!

It seems like just a few weeks ago, the water was 51 degrees. Today, I saw 82.5 degrees on the river. WTF? Did they kick the power plant into overdrive? I completely missed the spawn again! These northern fish don't mess around. They go from winter to post-spawn in 2 weeks. That's just crazy. I'm used to southern fish, that spawn for 2 months.

At least the fish were biting today. My 5 biggest went about 9-10 lbs. They were choking down crankbaits, and anything else that got in the way.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

2. Member
    Agreed. Happens more often lately, that I too miss the spawn. I cant catch them on the beds anyway.

What was color?

Got some off of beds last week. Water was 65.
    Wishing I was Fishing

Water color that is?

I was throwing a sexy shad crankbait. That's about the only color I use on the James.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

I was just asking about water color with all the rain.

Oh. The water was clear. Well, as clear as the James river is going to get.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

9. Member
    I'm sure it won't be by this weekend..........

Thinking same thing as up my way has been pelted with rain.

11. Member
    I fished this morning. Water is stained but not bad. Caught a few bass. Also caught 15 or so striper. Biggest 1 was 26"
    Roger Jenks Jr
    2021 Bass Cat Lynx
    250 Pro xs 4S Serial # 3B010758

12. Member
    I fished there Sunday, Bet four went almost 15 lbs. They was chewing!!! water temp was mid 70's

13. Member
    Drove across river at 95 and high and it was muddy.

14. Member
    We've had at least 7 inches of rain here over the last few days. I live on Swift Creek, below the dam in Pocahontas SP, it's higher than I've ever seen it, been here for 10 years. Easily 10-12 ft above normal level.

I hear the Appomattox is real high, I bet Chesdin is a mess. This is what really adds the sediment to that lake. Do they ever dredge the upper end at all?
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

15. Member
    I heard it was hitting the bottom of the bridge on Beach Rd. That is crazy high. Up here Otterdale Road is closed in like 3 places because water is over the road on several of the feeder creeks to Swift Creek Reservoir. All that water is going to get to the James in the next few days. Going to be a mess for a bit.

I heard Appomattox will crest at 18 feet today in farmville. That’s a wall of water.

17. Member
    Man, that sure is huge. Must be well over the road/bridge up there. I wonder if it will get up to the Green Front buildings? And all that will be pushing into Chesdin.....yikes.

Yeah, I don't know if it was hitting the Beach Road bridge. It would have to be really, really high to hit there, it's higher over Swift Creek that it seems. You;d have to parks some where and get out to look, can't really see if from the road. But maybe, it certainly was higher by use that we've seen. Maybe not quite as high as with Isabelle, from what I've been told with Isabelle, a huge log jam occurred at the Beach road bridge and then it really backed up behind us.

18. Member
    They tried raising Chesdin lake level but between the age and structural factors on the dam and environmental regulations will be they will be hard pressed to do anything with Chesdin. Would be nice if they did dredge the upper end.

19. Member
    I read about that too. The environmental issues and what not may be a factor, but I suspect there is a lot of bureaucratic BS goings on behind the scenes, especially with Vulcan and maybe other big business. Raising it had to do with increasing capacity to meet future water usage needs and it was an option, the other being using a Vulcan quarry in Dinwiddie to add capacity. With that they'd pump water from there into Chesdin as water was drawn out of Chesdin. The Dinwiddie capacity expansion would cost a lot more than raising the lake, and would certainly pad some individuals pockets nicely.....I would also like to see the lake level raised. It would add recreational capacity on many levels and potentially generate more income for businesses that could take advantage of more recreational opportunities. But anymore, the voice of the little guy is seldom heard or paid any mind.