Another Skipping Jig Rod Thread

Any experiences or thoughts on the Daiwa Tatula Elite Andy Montgomery, Fitzgerald Bryan Thrift, or ALX Skipper? All 3 6’9”, around $200. Splitting hairs or is one better or worse than the others?

2. Member
    Alx skipper all day long!!! You will not be disappointed!!
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

Every time I go on the water I skip docks. My number 1 rod is a skipping rod and it's a ALX Skipper. With out a doubt it's the best skipping rod I've ever put in my hands and I own a bunch of different types and many custom built to my specifications.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TxBassfisher View Post
    Alx skipper all day long!!! You will not be disappointed!!
    Is that the actual name ? I didn't see that rod at tacklewarehouse. Thanks in advance.

5. Member
    ALXRods.com !
    Zolo , model !

6. Member
    The skipper is indeed an awesome rod... but it was not awesome for me, just good. I sold mine. I found the tip to be too stiff for slinging lighter jigs back up under long docks. The perfect skipping rod for me is the Shimano Expride 6‘8“ MH. Great backbone but the tip is just soft enough to really get that slinging effect.
    -Matt

7. Member
    I like the Montgomery daiwa tatula elite. It's the only one of the 3 I've tried though. But I doubt you can go wrong with any of the 3 you mentioned.

The Tatula Elite is a great dock skipping rod indeed. Paired up with a Tatula SV, that combo will really make a difference in the mastery of a fairly difficult presentation.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck 1 View Post
    Is that the actual name ? I didn't see that rod at tacklewarehouse. Thanks in advance.
    Tacklewarehouse has not stocked it yet. Honestly, we've been selling out as fast as we can build them.

http://alxrods.com/product/skipper/