School me on coyotes

My grandparents have some land that we deer hunt on and coyotes have become a problem down there, so I've been tasked with taking some of them out. A couple of friends and I are planning on going down there at some point and giving it a go, but none of us have any experience with coyotes. I'm planning on picking up an electronic call and aside from going down there and scouting a bit, not sure where to start in terms of strategy. My biggest question is what do you do with them after the shot? I'm going to look around and see if there's anywhere that will take them for the pelts and I've even considered contacting a nearby tiger rescue to see if they'd want them. No idea if they could use the meat or not, but figured it would be worth asking. Any suggestions on that? Other than scrolling through the outdoors section of arfcom, I'm just getting started on my research. Any tips yall have would be great.

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    The hides are only "prime" in the winter. Summer hides aren't saleable. You can eat them, though I don't.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

Throw them in a ditch. This time of year you should be able to play pup distress sounds and have some action. When fawns drop here is another few weeks fawn distress works good.

4. Member
    Unless things have changed the pelts are not worth much. Back in the '70's they were... The last one I got (Montana, middle of winter, head shot) brought $65.
    I would ask "Why are they a problem? What issues are they presenting?" We had them all over back then but they mostly did 'clean up' of dead critters and never really caused any real issues. We took them for the pelts for side money. Otherwise I am not sure we would have hunted them.
    That said, find a good open area or one with a channel you can shoot safely down. You need the wind coming from where they will most likely come from to you. A squeaker or remote call with distressed animal sounds set up away from you works the best. Don't over do it. When you approach the area do not come in through the area you expect them to come from. Hunker down and camo up. Don't move much.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    The hides are only "prime" in the winter. Summer hides aren't saleable. You can eat them, though I don't.
    That's kind of what I figured. The plan is to get a few now before next deer season and I'll probably get out after them more next winter when the season runs out in Jan. I've read about some places that will buy the hides from trappers, but other than that the general consensus seems to be buzzard food. I still think I'm going to call that tiger rescue out of curiosity, I know they take deer after talking to a couple of folks.

Quote Originally Posted by TrackerPro16 View Post
    Unless things have changed the pelts are not worth much. Back in the '70's they were... The last one I got (Montana, middle of winter, head shot) brought $65.
    I would ask "Why are they a problem? What issues are they presenting?" We had them all over back then but they mostly did 'clean up' of dead critters and never really caused any real issues. We took them for the pelts for side money. Otherwise I am not sure we would have hunted them.
    That said, find a good open area or one with a channel you can shoot safely down. You need the wind coming from where they will most likely come from to you. A squeaker or remote call with distressed animal sounds set up away from you works the best. Don't over do it. When you approach the area do not come in through the area you expect them to come from. Hunker down and camo up. Don't move much.
    The predominant reason is we've noticed an impact on the deer population the last 2-3 years as more have shown up in the area. If it weren't for that, I probably wouldn't be willing to go out there with what limited free time I have now.

6. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

7. Member
    If you miss a shot or mess up your stand where he gets your scent, you have just “schooled” him and all he’ll do is bark and let all of the coyotes know you are there and something is up. You are dealing with the smartest animal in the woods with a memory to avoid danger the next time. Read everything you can on the internet predator forums and you may have a fighting chance to get one. If you go in with a bunch of buddies, slamming truck doors and talking all the way to your stand and then start calling, you won’t see anything. You are in his house. He lives there. He knows anything out of place just as well as you know anything out of place at your home. They hunt in packs and they can decimate a future fawn crop in a short time. You will never get them all but even a few will help put nature back in balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Roddy View Post
    Hell no!!

Quote Originally Posted by yetti462 View Post
    Hell no!!
    +1
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

10. Member
    I used to go out before daylight and run a siren, locate as many groups as I could, then go back after daylight and hint as many groups as the wind would let me. For me in se Ohio, I felt I had to be within 150yds to call one in.

Oh and don't hunt them unless you have a good wind and can get in without getting busted.
    Last edited by 3dogdare; 05-19-2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: To add a nugget

11. Banned
    I hunt near a small township and when the local fire whistle goes off you can map every pack within hearing. All you have to do is head to them and set up down wind and have a weapon you know what it will do.

12. Member
    My advise would be to check out Les Johnson videos. There is a lot to learn about hunting coyotes without educating them. your first hunts on the property will be your best hunts if you stay scent free and hidden very well. From my experience I hunt them for a few days in an area and then leave it for a few months before hunting it again. Another good way is to create a bait pile for the coyotes such as deer caucuses and other meaty animals and hunt it from a distance.

13. Member
    At first you need to know that very much depend on a place where you will hunt. During the mating season, these Decoys are most effective. Coyotes become less vigilant. I use the Primos Wooly Bully but no FOXPRO Review of the Best Decoy for Coyote Hunting https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-...oyote-hunting/

14. Member
    Couple of years ago, a fellow hunter had a trail camera photo of a coyote with a spotted fawn in its mouth.

15. Banned
    We have opened the stomach on every yote we harvest and you would be suprised how many fawn hooves would be in there.

This!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenner18 View Post
    If you miss a shot or mess up your stand where he gets your scent, you have just “schooled” him and all he’ll do is bark and let all of the coyotes know you are there and something is up. You are dealing with the smartest animal in the woods with a memory to avoid danger the next time. Read everything you can on the internet predator forums and you may have a fighting chance to get one. If you go in with a bunch of buddies, slamming truck doors and talking all the way to your stand and then start calling, you won’t see anything. You are in his house. He lives there. He knows anything out of place just as well as you know anything out of place at your home. They hunt in packs and they can decimate a future fawn crop in a short time. You will never get them all but even a few will help put nature back in balance.