250 HPDI TO 250 SHO

Hi there. I have a 250 HPDI on my 06 I-Class and I lost compression in cylinder #2. If I were to buy a brand new 250 SHO and hang it myself would all the cables, controls, gauges and what not be plug n play, or would this require all new equipment? Also, how would the warranty work with Yamaha, would it be voided since a dealer didn’t install the motor?

thanks for any info.

KT
    Last edited by Captain98045; 05-12-2018 at 01:45 PM.

2. Banned
    Hang, plug in and play. Have a yamaha dealer verify everything and register the warrany.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain98045 View Post
    Hi there. I have a 250 HPDI on my 06 I-Class and I lost compression in cylinder #2. If I were to buy a brand new 250 SHO and hang it myself would all the cables, controls, gauges and what not be plug n play, or would this require all new equipment? Also, how would the warranty work with Yamaha, would it be voided since a dealer didn’t install the motor?

thanks for any info.

KT
    Imagine that. Cylinder #2 failing.

Only thing to add to Rich's post is to change the tachometer from the two stroke setting to the four stroke setting if it is the Yamaha multi-function type tachometer. You will also need an adapter harness between the tachometer and the trim/oil harness in the boat.

If you have non-Yamaha gauges perhaps some simple fiddling with the wiring will be needed. Assuming of course that the tachometer is capable of being used with a four stroke. What exactly do you have in the way of gauges and warning lights?

4. Member
    Thank you for all the info. I do have the Yamaha multifunction gauges. I think this is the route I’ll go. Need that SHO reliability.

5. Member
    I have the multifunction gauges in the boat already. My biggest concern was the warranty on the new motor and whether or not Yamaha would honor it if I did the work of simply hanging it and hooking it up.

6. Member
    For the warranty to become effective a dealer has to register the motor using Yamaha's on-line system. Assumes the motor is new and unregistered. The dealer you are buying the motor from should be explaining to you all that needs to be done.

Dealers are not supposed to be selling motors in a box but it happens.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    For the warranty to become effective a dealer has to register the motor using Yamaha's on-line system. Assumes the motor is new and unregistered. The dealer you are buying the motor from should be explaining to you all that needs to be done.

Dealers are not supposed to be selling motors in a box but it happens.
    WHY are Dealers not supposed to sell motors in a box? Jayco Marine has for years & is one of the BEST priced also. They'll ship to you. As long as a dealer verifies & registers it to Yamaha, theres no problem.

1992 Champion 201 DCR Elite
    2013 Yamaha 250SHO
    HumminBird

Quote Originally Posted by Captain98045 View Post
    I have the multifunction gauges in the boat already. My biggest concern was the warranty on the new motor and whether or not Yamaha would honor it if I did the work of simply hanging it and hooking it up.
    I ordered my SHO and they wouldn't ship it to ME. The would only ship it to a dealer, which, had to install it for me and register it for the warranty.
    So, I removed my old motor, made a deal with the dealer so they could install it.
    Then, as soon as I got home, before I ran it. I fixed all their screw-ups before I dropped it in the lake.
    I think the new secret color is "A-Rig"..........

9. Member
    Attached Images Attached Images