Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member

I feel your pain, BassCayKev

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I'm using 360 on the bow and have another control head beside it (both Helix 10). I'm getting the above interference and no other 455 kHz is going on. BUT, when I turn my 2D sonar off on the unit beside the 360 control head, the referenced interference goes away immediately. So does this mean I have RFI/Electrical noise that you spoke of? And how do you stop it?

Btw I did not completely turn off the control head beside the 360 control head. I just hit the power button and turned sonar to "off" and that's all it took to make 360 issue go away.
    If it is relevant and helps answer my question, I run 4 Helix 10 control head that are networked. 2 bow 2 helm. I can have both control heads turned off completely at the helm and the picture I posted still exists. But turn sonar off on other bow unit and I have perfect 360 imaging.
    I can attest that the problem is most likely because you have more than 2 graphs sharing 2D transducer along with the 360.
    I have the exact same issue I'm battling and it mostly began when I added a 3rd Helix to my mix.

I get the same random spokes on 360 with 2D being source of the crosstalk.

Let me explain my current setup:

Bow Helix12 SI G2N Mega sources:
    2D (Helix 10 GPS)
    DI (none)
    SI (none or 360 doesn't affect issue)
    360 (on)

Console Helix 10 SI G2N Mega sources:
    2D (Helix 10 GPS)
    DI (Helix 10 SI)
    SI (Helix 10 SI)
    360 (on)

Console Helix 10 GPS G2N sources:
    2D (Helix 10 GPS)
    DI (off)
    SI (off)
    360 (off)

While on the water yesterday, I was seeing some form of crosstalk while 2D was being pinged from the Helix 10 GPS unit (which is shared to all 3 units.)
    If I turned sonar off on the Helix 10 GPS, there was zero issues with the 360 views on either unit viewing it.

The kicker is that when I just leave 2D on and use the 360, sometimes the images are clear and after awhile the spoking will reappear and disappear on its own.
    Keep in mind no other unit is viewing any SI or DI since it's inevitable you will get cross-talk in this mode.

Back when I just had 2 units I would still get the occasional 360 hiccups but it has become more evident now with the 3rd unit in the mix.

I've opened a case about this with HB, but honestly don't really expect an immediate fix.

Here are some screencaps to illustrate:

2D off:

2D set to High Freq only:
    (This is the most useable configuration I've found with the least amount of crosstalk.)

2D set to Med Freq only:
    (Worse)

2D set to Med/High freq (Worst crosstalk)

Leaving 2D on, sometimes it will just clear up on its own then reappear at random times looking like this:

Of course it isn't always bad. These 2 images were captured earlier this month using 360 and 2D both together.

Just curious if any of you guys using Solix have these kind of problems?
    Last edited by tweakjr; 05-23-2018 at 04:44 PM.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

2. Member
    I have 2 helix 10s at bow with trolling motor 2d puck and 360 ducer attached to tm. At bow, one unit dedicated to 360. The other for chart and 2d only. My 2 dash units have transom mounted SI transducers and thru hull 2d ducers (one of which must be defective as I've posted that issue in Humminbird Sonar GPS forum). The transom SI mounts are of 2 different qualities as I'm told. The right dash sonar menu has something called HB 50/200 khx+262/455 khz SI. And left dash unit sonar menu has option called Compact Side Imaging. I can't turn off 2d at the dash without losing DI as well. And I don't want any of it off.
    When you say low medium and high, what frequencies are you speaking of? My 2d has options of 50, 200, or 50/200. I will play with these 2d frequencies next time I'm on the water. But I want to be certain that I understand you.

The pics are great

3. Member
    Is there anything wrong with me leaving my dash units on (SI,DI,2D) while I'm up front running my 360 on the trolling motor? I sometimes put the dash units on standby but usually leave them running for my partner to see. I get that my dash units cannot be running off different transducers. But it's ok and normal for those to be running on transom ducers while I'm up front on 360 right?

4. Member
    I have 2 helix 10s at bow with trolling motor 2d puck and 360 ducer attached to tm. At bow, one unit dedicated to 360. The other for chart and 2d only. My 2 dash units have transom mounted SI transducers and thru hull 2d ducers (one of which must be defective as I've posted that issue in Humminbird Sonar GPS forum). The transom SI mounts are of 2 different qualities as I'm told. The right dash sonar menu has something called HB 50/200 khx+262/455 khz SI. And left dash unit sonar menu has option called Compact Side Imaging. I can't turn off 2d at the dash without losing DI as well. And I don't want any of it off.
    When you say low medium and high, what frequencies are you speaking of? My 2d has options of 50, 200, or 50/200. I will play with these 2d frequencies next time I'm on the water. But I want to be certain that I understand you.

The pics are great
    It sounds to me like you are running one DI gen 1, an SI gen1, and 1 or 2 GPS sonar gen 1's.

My Helix units are mega g2n.
    2d is shared to all units from the plain 2D XNT 9 20 T connected to the console Helix GPS G2N and transducer selected to HB 80/200.
    SI & DI comes via 2 transom mounted XM 9 20 T through a Y cable separating left/right hooked to console Helix G2N SI, transducer selected is Mega.
    My front unit is a Helix12 G2N SI with its own XM 9 20 T (Mega transducer selected) attached to a fishing specialties downrod. Most of the time the front unit is set up to share off the other 2 units.

Medium freq is 80kHz (75-95 chirp)
    High freq is 200kHz (175-220 chirp)
    Mega SI or DI is either 455k, 800k, or 1.2M Hz
    360 is 455kHz

I'm starting to wonder if my 360 has an intermittent shielding problem as the issue is random and sometimes works great.
    It also seemed to be a little sluggish in starting up spinning on a 360 view. It seems to have gotten worse after a long and bumpy roadtrip towing the boat.

PS Wow this was painful trying to type in. Apparently using the word F-R-O-M spelled normally gives me the internal server error message.
    Last edited by tweakjr; 05-24-2018 at 12:22 AM.
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]

5. Member
    I did select 50,200, 50/200 and observe. They still suck when they're on. Only decent readings are when 2d is off. There is just nothing left I know of within my resources I know of to fix this. Very disappointing. If I'm going to hang in this forum I best be able to describe my equipment better than just saying 4 Helix 10s. Tweakjr you're probably right in describing my equipment. But how does one look at their SI ducers and know what model they are? I hear gen1 this and gen 2 that but don't understand. My back starboard transom ducer days Onix (followed by some numbers) on it. My back right one looks slightly different but has no info on it that I can see. This is probably common sense to some of you guys but enlighten me please.

I did select 50,200, 50/200 and observe. They still suck when they're on. Only decent readings are when 2d is off. There is just nothing left I know of within my resources I know of to fix this. Very disappointing. If I'm going to hang in this forum I best be able to describe my equipment better than just saying 4 Helix 10s. Tweakjr you're probably right in describing my equipment. But how does one look at their SI ducers and know what model they are? I hear gen1 this and gen 2 that but don't understand. My back starboard transom ducer days Onix (followed by some numbers) on it. My back right one looks slightly different but has no info on it that I can see. This is probably common sense to some of you guys but enlighten me please.
    From your descriptions, its seems you do not have Helix units at the console. Exactly what are the model names on the front of the cabinets?

An ONIX is different than a Helix. Which ONIX unit do you have?
    A Helix SI unit can have two different shaped SI transducers, one is 4" long (Compact SI) and the other is 6" long (HDSI).
    The ONIX is a HDSI also but different shape with a larger cable and different unit plug.
    The ONIX transducer plug is round with a threaded locking ring.
    The number series and Helix transducer plug is barn shaped, attached to the unit with a modular housing also containing the power cord plug.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I positively have Helix 10 (4 of them). Please see pics. I've also attached pic of each of my transom mounted ducers if it helps in any way. And just today. I never could get 360 on my front unit which is the only place I care to have it. But I want to understand what the heck I have first. I can't speak the same language until I know this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I positively have Helix 10 (4 of them). Please see pics. I've also attached pic of each of my transom mounted ducers if it helps in any way. And just today. I never could get 360 on my front unit which is the only place I care to have it. But I want to understand what the heck I have first. I can't speak the same language until I know this.
    You may have 4 Helix units, BUT you also have an ONIX SI RD (second generation ONIX SI transducer) on a Transducer Shield and Saver mount on the starboard side of the jackplate. You cannot have a Helix unit connected to it---very different connection. If you look at the model name on the bracket, it states TM-ONIX-2.

The transducer on the port side of the jackplate is the XHS 9 HDSI 180 T for a number series and non-MEGA Helix SI unit.
    It's Transducer Shield and Saver mount is the TM-HDsi.

You should also have a transducer epoxied inside the bilge either connected to one of the units alone or connected to the same unit the HDSI transducer is via Y cable.

The 360 has its own power connection and has to be turned on for a few minutes before any unit recognizes it exists.

Probably you also have an Ethernet Switch that is also powered and has to be turned on so you can share data among the units.
    All four displays and the 360 may be directly connected to the Ethernet Switch. You will have to verify exactly what cables you have and where they are connected.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    I know this isn't the correct board for a troubleshooting thread, but
    I discovered a way to eliminate crosstalk on my 360 from the 2D the other day.
    Previously my 2D source was from my Helix G2N GPS dedicated 2D transducer shared to all units and crosstalk spokes on the 360 would randomly go from bad to worse.
    If I instead used the Helix 10 G2N SI as the 2D source for all units, no spokes appeared on the 360 view.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    I know this isn't the correct board for a troubleshooting thread, but
    I discovered a way to eliminate crosstalk on my 360 from the 2D the other day.
    Previously my 2D source was from my Helix G2N GPS dedicated 2D transducer shared to all units and crosstalk spokes on the 360 would randomly go from bad to worse.
    If I instead used the Helix 10 G2N SI as the 2D source for all units, no spokes appeared on the 360 view.
    Glad you figured that out. I only have one SI unit. It's dash mounted. I wouldn't want to read my 2d sonar off my transom ducer while standing up by trolling motor. Everything would be 21 feet off. I certainly want to read 2d off my tm mounted 2d ducer. I'm going to share 2d from my dash unit just to see if that eliminates my 360 spokes. But it's not a good permanent solution for me even if it did work. And recently I have 360 interference spokes even with 2d turned off altogether. I have plenty of voltage to the front. So I'm just as lost as I was 3 months ago.

11. Member
    I've had many other boat related issues to deal with lately so now finally back to revisiting this issue from 4 months ago. Several folks have been very helpful in attempting to figure this out. This issue has nowhere near corrected itself and I'm determined to have 360 images that are reasonable. I did remember getting a new trolling motor 2d transducer installed after I bought the boat due to having a pin break inside a transducer power plug. This was very early on in owning this boat. Perhaps when they re-zipped my wires along my trolling motor power chord they were placed in a different spacing or something? The old trolling motor transducer was a transom mounted type for some reason. I recall the Humminbird guy telling me that a crew probably was in a hurry and just threw it on there for some reason. But now I have the ducer made for a trolling motor where it's flush on there. Could THAT have started the 360 interference I've had ever since? I have heard of guys running the transducer wire along the tm bracket (the silver part of the Fortrex) away from the other wires. Is that worth a try? I don't think crosstalk or low voltage is the issue. WayneP and tweakjr you guys were great before. I appreciate your help. I realize there are wires possibly sitting inside the boat under the trolling motor pedal that could be situated differently after the new tm ducer was installed as well. But I want to try one thing at a time. I don't think I will know if it worked until next time I get on the water. Btw I primarily fish Lake Cumberland which is lots of solid rock. I can have my 360 sensitivity on 3 and the screen is bright and has these dam spokes you see in my OP. I don't want to put people to work more than necessary to help me but earlier posts on this thread may remind some of you what was going on with this and what I've already tried. I will take all weekend to figure this #$%%$$ thing out if I have too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12