Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

360 Lines Shooting In All Directions

There are always these extra lines that I know are not objects in the water. They exists regardless of water clarity, bottom hardness, or 360 Enhance settings. Are they just part of this type of 360 imaging? See pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have either cross-talk from another source using 455 kHz or RFI/electrical noise.

No it is not part of the 360 operation. 360 is Side Imaging that rotates.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You have either cross-talk from another source using 455 kHz or RFI/electrical noise.

No it is not part of the 360 operation. 360 is Side Imaging that rotates.

I'm using 360 on the bow and have another control head beside it (both Helix 10). I'm getting the above interference and no other 455 kHz is going on. BUT, when I turn my 2D sonar off on the unit beside the 360 control head, the referenced interference goes away immediately. So does this mean I have RFI/Electrical noise that you spoke of? And how do you stop it?

Btw I did not completely turn off the control head beside the 360 control head. I just hit the power button and turned sonar to "off" and that's all it took to make 360 issue go away.
    If it is relevant and helps answer my question, I run 4 Helix 10 control head that are networked. 2 bow 2 helm. I can have both control heads turned off completely at the helm and the picture I posted still exists. But turn sonar off on other bow unit and I have perfect 360 imaging.
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 05-14-2018 at 08:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Cross-talk is the same regardless of what the source is. You have confirmed that cross-talk is the issue. What are the two bow units and what/where are their transducers?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Cross-talk is the same regardless of what the source is. You have confirmed that cross-talk is the issue. What are the two bow units and what/where are their transducers?
    Both Helix 10. Both networked in the 4 helix 10s on the boat. Of course the 360 stick is mounted to trolling motor shaft. 2D sonar puck attached to bottom of trolling motor. Since everything is networked, of course I could put SI, DI, 2D, or 360 on any of the units. But up front all I want is for one unit dedicated entirely to 360 (preferably no interference) and the other for Chart/2D.
    Thanks and let me know if you need any other info.

Since there are 7 different models of Helix 10, which ones????
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    Since there are 7 different models of Helix 10, which ones????
    I'm running the bow 360 graph on unit that says Sonar GPS on back beside serial number. I'm currently using 2d and chart on the unit right beside it which says SI GPS on the back beside the serial number. Is this what you need for the model?

To the best of my knowledge this is how the previous owner had it set up. I was cautious to remember which control head went where. I have a pretty good understanding of all the menus and where to find settings etc. I have named them so that when I'm on the Network Configuration menu and know what unit is using what source etc. I don't feel confident I understand all of it but feel like I could understand directions from someone that did. Let me know if I need to move something around, check for interference else, or mess with a setting. Thank you so much Wayne P

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatKev View Post
    I'm running the bow 360 graph on unit that says Sonar GPS on back beside serial number. I'm currently using 2d and chart on the unit right beside it which says SI GPS on the back beside the serial number. Is this what you need for the model?

To the best of my knowledge this is how the previous owner had it set up. I was cautious to remember which control head went where. I have a pretty good understanding of all the menus and where to find settings etc. I have named them so that when I'm on the Network Configuration menu and know what unit is using what source etc. I don't feel confident I understand all of it but feel like I could understand directions from someone that did. Let me know if I need to move something around, check for interference else, or mess with a setting. Thank you so much Wayne P
    OK, that unit does not have 455 kHz that can cross-talk with the 360. If only that unit is operating, then you have a power issue or faulty 360.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    What are power issues?

What are power issues?
    Low voltage
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

11. Member
    I have a one year old group 31 starter battery that starts my Suzuki 250 right up every time. It does have a lot of accessories on it though. I've read where battery should read 12.8 and if reads 12.4 you're starting to get a dead battery. Will a slightly low battery reading cause 360 to do this?
    The previous owner stated it could be a ground issue. I respect both your thoughts. Do you have an opinion on it being a ground issue. I've looking into the power issue first for sure.

I have a one year old group 31 starter battery that starts my Suzuki 250 right up every time. It does have a lot of accessories on it though. I've read where battery should read 12.8 and if reads 12.4 you're starting to get a dead battery. Will a slightly low battery reading cause 360 to do this?
    The previous owner stated it could be a ground issue. I respect both your thoughts. Do you have an opinion on it being a ground issue. I've looking into the power issue first for sure.
    Some have added a ground wire on the metal Ethernet connection to the battery negative post to take care of a RFI issue. There are many RFI remedies if that is what is causing the problem.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

13. Member
    Since I'm going to start with the power issue, what voltage on my starter battery is acceptable. I made comment on my previous post about 12.4-12.8. If it reads 12.8, does that eliminate the cause being low voltage?

Since I'm going to start with the power issue, what voltage on my starter battery is acceptable. I made comment on my previous post about 12.4-12.8. If it reads 12.8, does that eliminate the cause being low voltage?
    It's what voltage the unit is getting when operating. At a minimum you start with a fully charged battery which is about 12.7V.
    You want the least amount of voltage drop due to wire length, wire diameter, and connection resistance.
    What does the unit voltage readout show and is the 360 powered the same way?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

15. Member
    I just hooked up unit I use 360 on. I displayed voltage on digital readout boxes and it says 14.2 (it continues to increase because charger is plugged in). I do not have my other 3 units hooked up/turned on at the moment. I just got boat back from shop and have them all in the house for security purposes. Do I need all of them plugged in and hooked up to get accurate voltage?

The 360 transducer is attached to tm and I know I have a 5 port. Does that answer your question about 360 power source? I'm quite certain it has one of the 5 ports. Access to it is gained by unbolting the tm pedal and removing a plate underneath it. I just siliconed and rescrewed all of that after I took posession of boat and once noticing the plate underneath tm pedal was missing. But if I have to move forward and remove all of it I will. I want this fixed. Btw talked to previous owner today and he said no way it had interference like that when I first took posession because that would have driven him crazy. I totally believe him. I didn't look that close at everything before winter came and it spent time in garage and off the water. The reason I bring this up is that this must have started within last few weeks/months. If that helps with diagnosing at all.
    Last edited by BassCatKev; 05-17-2018 at 06:24 AM.

I just hooked up unit I use 360 on. I displayed voltage on digital readout boxes and it says 14.2 (it continues to increase because charger is plugged in). I do not have my other 3 units hooked up/turned on at the moment. I just got boat back from shop and have them all in the house for security purposes. Do I need all of them plugged in and hooked up to get accurate voltage?

The 360 transducer is attached to tm and I know I have a 5 port. Does that answer your question about 360 power source? I'm quite certain it has one of the 5 ports. Access to it is gained by unbolting the tm pedal and removing a plate underneath it. I just siliconed and rescrewed all of that after I took posession of boat and once noticing the plate underneath tm pedal was missing. But if I have to move forward and remove all of it I will. I want this fixed. Btw talked to previous owner today and he said no way it had interference like that when I first took posession because that would have driven him crazy. I totally believe him. I didn't look that close at everything before winter came and it spent time in garage and off the water. The reason I bring this up is that this must have started within last few weeks/months. If that helps with diagnosing at all.
    The Ethernet Switch should not be involved unless its power cord and the 360 power cord are tied together to a single electrical connection.

If it has worked OK before, then what changed from the last time it was used and it worked other than time?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

17. Member
    Nothing I can think of. I have 3 Helix 10s that read "Sonar GPS " on the back. And 1 that says "SI GPS"
    All 4 of mine are networked. So I see any type image on any of the 4 screens if I wanted to. So I only have one SI GPS. Would it make a difference if I made that one the 360 control head at the bow?

What is the difference between a unit that says sonar gps versus SI gps?

Nothing I can think of. I have 3 Helix 10s that read "Sonar GPS " on the back. And 1 that says "SI GPS"
    All 4 of mine are networked. So I see any type image on any of the 4 screens if I wanted to. So I only have one SI GPS. Would it make a difference if I made that one the 360 control head at the bow?

What is the difference between a unit that says sonar gps versus SI gps?
    Sonar/GPS is a 2D only unit. SI/GPS units have Side Imaging, Down Imaging, and 2D sonar.

If cross-talk is the issue, yes using the SI unit to control the 360 would prevent that since SI is turned off when using the 360.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

19. Member
    Well that may very well be the issue then. I'll try to get on the water this weekend. Thanks

20. Member
    That didn't fix. I switched the units around. The previous owner did NOT have the SI gps unit at the bow for 360. Apparently the Sonar GPS units in my system do 360 no problem. But you previously mentioned that low voltage could be the issue. Well my Suzuki motor shut itself down today with an alarm stating low voltage. I have to start dealing with that tomorrow. Maybe it's related to my 360 interference. No clue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast