Question Sunline 16lb sniper shredding on hookset with Dobyns Serria rod..

The line is brand new. The rod is the 704 heavy action that I'm using for pitching cover. On multiple hook sets on bigger fish last week the line was shredding after the hookset. I'm not sure if it's the rod cause I ran a cuetip thru the guides and everything seemed smooth. Could it be defective line. I just purchased it from Tacklewarehouse. I've never had issues with this line before. Any thought on this?

2. Member
    Check your line guide on your reel with a Qtip as well might be the problem there if not my guess it could be the line

3. Member
    I would not pitch with less than 20 fc. Sunline is the strongest fc I have used. I also re tie often.
    Danny Head
    Hinton, Oklahoma
    2015 Ranger RT 188, Mercury 115 4 stroke

4. Member
    Where did it shread? Do you mean fraying? Are there Zebra muscles in your lake?

5. Member
    I use the lighter line cause I'm pitching a 1/8 oz flick shake head with a wacky senko around docks. I can tell it was frayed after the hookset and I could hear it as I was winding in the fish, So I don't think it's the reel. I'm going to try a different rod and see what happens.

6. Member
    No zebras in this lake.

7. Member
    I also was having the sane results with 16# sunline sniper, just thought it was my knot...
    Last edited by sooner magic; 05-12-2018 at 02:33 PM.

8. Member
    Never a problem with 15lb. Just bought this 600 yard spoil of 16.

9. Member
    I had several bad spoils of Seaguar in the past never Sunline... double check your guides from top and bottom and look close at the epoxy if any got on the insert. ? ^ guy above suggested checking guide on reel too!
    2020 Phoenix 920 Elite | Merc 250 ProXS

10. Member
    I have been buying sniper for 3 or 4 years and Ive had one spool of 14 pound do the same thing your line is doing. It sucked that it was in a tournament when it showed itself but put new line on from another spool of sniper and had no issues since.