Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
  1. Member
    Wayne hooks to Dyno...Yamaha technicians do not

2. Member
    Mine is now 346 HP at crank shaft. Stock was 278 HP

3. Member
    Yamaha says that running the sho anywhere from 5700 to 6200 rpm is fine for these motors and 6000 is optimum. From what I have read, if I keep my rev limiter stock it is possible I can get anywhere from 2-3 mph gains, hydro tec thinks so as well.

I have talked to some guys, and read posts, where guys have raised the rpms to 6400 and have had no issues at all. Mainly because they prop up 1 pitch and can still only get to around 6100 rpm so they aren't over rev'ing even though they have the ability to.

Anyone agree with these statements and/or have any additional real world results? I am unsure the issue that Loomis88 is having because not 1 person I know hasn't had good/positive results from a flash. Hope you have had better results by now.

4. Member
    I can only get 6100 tops and raised limiter to 7K. Now that cooling down a bit with 3/4 fuel and two people I can hit 72+ up river and 76+ down river. Too be honest in summer heat etc it didn't seem to make much difference...ran 1mph or so stronger up river but not so much down. Makes no sense to me. i predict this fall I hit 78 mph and the ol skeeter is smooth as can be at those speeds. I don't carry a ton of tackle but have 2 talons on the back

5. Member
    running same 25P T1 fyi

6. Member
    Does flashing the ecu void the warranty?

7. Member
    I have a 2018 fx21 and with my current set up (motor at 7 pins, and 25p T2 prop) I can get to 6000 and 72.6. I would like to be between 6000 and 6200 and around 75mph if I can. I sent my ECU to Hydro Tec yesterday. Will try it with current set up first to see what happens before making any additional changes.

8. Member
    Yes but really no way to know unless they hook to dyno. Also heard Yamaha stands behind what Wayne does
    Last edited by Loomis88; 08-17-2018 at 08:43 AM.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    The standard "skeeter" prop work will not be optimal on a flashed ECU. You need extra added cup to make it work like mentioned above.
    I just received my ECU flash back from hydro tech. I plan on running my skeeter this weekend and will post results.
    I have the T2 because I have the 2018 skeeter fx21. I was told by hydro tech that with the flash alone I "should" gain 1-3 mph and get up around 6200rpm. Before the flash, just myself, full tank of gas, light tournament load, live wells full, I typically can run 72.4 @ 6000 rpm. Like you, I left my manual jack plate where it is from skeeter, which is the 7th dot showing. 

Hydro tech did state that I will likely need a prop change/adjustment if I want to get to the 4-5mph increase in speed I am looking for, as I want to be at the 75mph mark while at least being at 6000 rpm. So first thing I will do is run the boat while the only difference being the flash. From the results, I will determine and/or decide if I need to go the blueprint cup route, or a different pitch prop all together. 

Just asking ahead of time, who is the guy/company that did the blueprint and cup? What was the cost and overall time from sending the prop to return delivery? I don't have a back up prop available so I would be without a boat until I got it back, unless of course I simply needed to buy another pitched prop.

10. Member
    Double post, delete
    Last edited by JTIC; 08-23-2018 at 01:27 PM.

11. Member
    Get with Mark Croxton for the prop or Josh at Steve's custom props

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    No it does not, They cant even see the flash.
    Sorry, they can DEFINITELY see the flash. Just have to dump the trim table and compare to stock and you are done.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

They CAN not see the flash... Got to leave rev limiter stock though...
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

14. Member
    Sorry, but you are wrong. If you can modify flash memory, you can READ it just as easily. This has been true forever. That's why there is a verification step after the flash, to confirm it was successful. That means reading it back out and comparing byte by byte.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

Well let’s put it this way.
    A Local,one of Top Three Service Centers here in Texas. Yamaha Tech knew the Flash was by Simmons Motorsport was there and couldn’t find it. This was done on a 2015 250 Sho. He’s still pulling wrench’s everyday. I know several that have been flashed at 10 or so hours. They’ve all been in for service and nothing ever noted.
    Flashing and keeping stock rev limiter is not an issue. Performance is better in many ways.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

16. Member
    The tech may not see it but you can bet your a$$ if you blow it up when the Yamaha rep pulls the info and looks at the fuel trim tables they will see it as it will be compared to the factory specs and it will be found the fuel tables and air fuel ratio is different that is how the horsepower is made the timing will also be different due to spark advance
    2017 Skeeter ZX225
    12” Bobs Action Jack
    Dual Powers Poles

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcountry35 View Post
    The tech may not see it but you can bet your a$$ if you blow it up when the Yamaha rep pulls the info and looks at the fuel trim tables they will see it as it will be compared to the factory specs and it will be found the fuel tables and air fuel ratio is different that is how the horsepower is made the timing will also be different due to spark advance
    I posted a long time back for your information the changes it shows on Fuel, air flow and timing. True? that’s where the increase in perfomance comes from with out raising rev limiter.
    With no over revs you can bet your a$$ they will warranty the work.
    Over revs are the que..
    You are not in any way altering, modifying specs that the system is meant to operate. Lightened flywheels, stage kits and bolt on accessories will get you shot down by Yamaha on repairs.
    Last edited by chrisansilver; 08-26-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

Double post
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

19. Member
    I was able to take the boat out Sunday to test the flash from Wayne at hydro tech. As I stated above prior to the flash I ran it under the following: 

full tank of gas 

normal tournament load of tackle (which I am considered light compared to most) 
    empty live wells 
    motor on the 3rd hole, which is how it came from skeeter 
    motor on the 7th dot showing which is also how it came from skeeter 
    just me, not my tournament partner 
    25 pitch T2 yamaha sho prop that came with the boat 

With this set up, and perfectly calm water in the morning around 10am, about 90 degrees here in Houston, I ran a top speed of 72.6 around 5980 to 6000 rpm (that is just because as the boat bounced some it jumped between those numbers). This is when I fully trim the motor all the way up to 100%, but as some have noted, it will get up to around 5700 to 5800 quick and around 69 to 70 mph. I then need to run a decent distance still for it to continue on to the top end numbers I just posted above. 

Now with the flash. Literally all I did was flash the ECU and plug it back it. Using the exact same set up at above, prior to the flash, here are my numbers. (The only difference was the water wasn't completely calm, there was a slight chop and depending on the section of the lake, it was at times a little too rough to continue running fully trimmed up due to wake boats and jet skis causes waves) 

Around 10am and tempature close to the same, when water chop allowed I was able to run 75.2 at around 6080 to 6100, again only because as the boat bounced some it jumped between those numbers. I think with slick water and not having to worry about the danger of going that fast in choppy water, I might have gotten just a touch more out of it. But honestly the thing that stood out most was how quick I got to 72 - 73 and that came at around 5700 to 5800 rpm. This was mainly because I had to keep the motor tucked under some due to the chop and play boats on the lake. But that is already more than I was getting wide open in perfect conditions prior to the flash as mentioned above. 

With these numbers, I am not sure I need to do much else to the motor height or with a prop, 75mph at 6100 rpm is pretty dang close to the most I will get from this boat/motor set up. I only have the one prop though and will be purchsing a back up, just not sure if I want a 25p but blueprinted and cupped or a 26p. I need to find someone that has a 26 just to try out and see what happens. 

Overall I am very happy with the results, and as some have said, it actually is noticeable in terms of the difference in power. I mean granted it is only 50 more hp but you can feel it and the numbers speak for themselves.

20. Member
    Update on mine. Went out a week ago and with (2) 250 lb men and 3/4 fuel I hit 74 mph up river. For some reason only 75 down river. Week before with my 12 year old son we were hitting 77 mph down river and again even though I raised my rev limiter to 7k I have no intentions of running that high. 6400 is my max I want to run. Having said that the most I can get is 6100 rpms. I predict when the heat and humidity gets out of here and water temp cools she will pick up a few 100 rpms and haul ass! 25T1 B&B by Croxton. I was told not to change props just get RPM's above 6k and let the dog eat!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast