282 FS, 97, Johnson 150

Today I picked up a super clean 282 FS with a fast strike 150. Test rode the boat and it ran very well. The speed of the boat is way lacking compared to my previous Astro boat. I guess it would be hard to compare the two. On the Stratos is a 4- blade prop, not sure of pitch. Is this motor strong enough for a 4- blade prop. I have a jack plate that I will install to see if that helps with performance. I even considered to replace the Johnson with my Mercury 150 XRI motor.
    Last edited by Michael Stelly; 05-12-2018 at 06:25 PM.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

What was the top speed and RPM? The jack plate will help and a 4 blade might be alright depending on what prop it is and what pitch.

3. Member
    I will check the weekend. The prop is 23p
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150

4. Member
    After installing a jackplate try a 24" pitch 3 blade renegade ll prop.It will probably take a lot of testing but I would think this setup would increase your top end speed.I would think a 4 blade 23" pitch prop would be good for pulling skiers or tubing.you may also want to try a mercury tempest plus 3 blade 24" prop.A lot of guys run a mercury prop on their Johnson/evinrude engine.I don't know if you can reach top end speed or not that you were getting out of your astro boat(I am thinking the f18 quickfire had a fast hull)but I hope this will help.thanks and good luck
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

5. Member
    Thanks for information. My lower unit has water in oil so the other stuff will have to wait.
    98 Triton TR18
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 150