Securing Unit Cables?

Just finished installation of two Echomap Chirp 53cv units on my boat. I really like the simplicity of flush mount installation process, as well as the menu system.

What I don’t like are the Power/NMEA 2000/Transducer connections on the back of the units. What was Garmin thinking?

I’ve made every effort to secure the cables so that there isn’t any stress and/or pressure on the connectors, but it looks like a few runs across a rough lake could shake the cable connectors out to f the main unit.

Is there a way to secure everything to avoid a possible disconnect?

2. Member
    If you leave the units on the boat I’d use some silicon to hold them in. Semi-permanent.

3. Member
    Understand what Westtex is saying, but have never had any issues with my connections coming off. Try this, found by twist night quite one revolution, or turn until you can't pull it off then leave it. Doesn't seem they were designed to screw down tight. Twist until you can't pull them off is all that is needed mine stay on all season

The connections on the 53cv aren’t designed to twist or turn. The bottom of each connector is flat, plus there’s an additional indexing slot(s).

You must have a different unit.

Quote Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger View Post
    The connections on the 53cv aren’t designed to twist or turn. The bottom of each connector is flat, plus there’s an additional indexing slot(s).

You must have a different unit.
    Note that when flush-mounting the 53cv, you still need to use the cradle and cable retainer behind the unit. Did you include the cradle/retainer when installing?
    Garmin Pro Team

Thanks for pointing out my oversight in not installing the cradle. No wonder the cables are loose!

I’ll go do that right now.