Banned

daiwa steez sv tws vs metanium mgl

I tested both of these from tackle whs and cant decide which I like better. The steez seems to cast more effortless, but the brake is had to adjust and the handle seems sooo tiny.

Anyone have a opinion on these two comparisons?

Im leaning towards the daiwa being better but the shimano feels better probably because I have been using shimano aldebaran and chronarch etc.

2. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Travel to fish View Post
    I tested both of these from tackle whs and cant decide which I like better. The steez seems to cast more effortless, but the brake is had to adjust and the handle seems sooo tiny.

Anyone have a opinion on these two comparisons?

Im leaning towards the daiwa being better but the shimano feels better probably because I have been using shimano aldebaran and chronarch etc.
    If the "brake that is hard to adjust" is referring to the cast control knob (the one near the handle), you're not supposed to adjust it as it is set where it is supposed to be at the factory. All you should have to do is adjust the brake dial on the other side of the reel (the dial with all the numbers on it). On an SV reel (Tatula, Zillion and Steez) the cast control should be set just so that the spool no longer moves side-to-side. Further adjustments are made with the numbered brake dial.

The handle on an Steez SV TW is pretty small. I don't mind it but some do and they will often change it to a larger handle.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    If the "brake that is hard to adjust" is referring to the cast control knob (the one near the handle), you're not supposed to adjust it as it is set where it is supposed to be at the factory. All you should have to do is adjust the brake dial on the other side of the reel (the dial with all the numbers on it). On an SV reel (Tatula, Zillion and Steez) the cast control should be set just so that the spool no longer moves side-to-side. Further adjustments are made with the numbered brake dial.

The handle on an Steez SV TW is pretty small. I don't mind it but some do and they will often change it to a larger handle.
    Interesting on the cast control knob. Didnt know that, the way its located it definitely isnt easy to adjust. thanks for the heads up on that.

4. Member
    Last edited by jiggerjake; 05-13-2018 at 06:05 AM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Rod has been sold
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

6. Banned

I did some more looking around the 8.1 ratio has a 90mm handle. Tackle wh doesnt have that reel listed so I didnt know that ratio was available. I found it on japan tackle and then on ebay also.

7. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I did some more looking around the 8.1 ratio has a 90mm handle. Tackle wh doesnt have that reel listed so I didnt know that ratio was available. I found it on japan tackle and then on ebay also.
    That reel is JDM only - not sure if/when it will make it to this side of the Pacific. I have a Zillion SW TW in a 5.5:1 and that ratio still isn't available over here.

The guys at Tackle Trap could get you squared away with a new handle if necessary.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggerjake View Post
    Rod has been sold
    Good to know

9. Member
    Add jiggerjake to the doofus hall of fame?
    Red Sox in 6!

10. Banned
    That reel is JDM only - not sure if/when it will make it to this side of the Pacific. I have a Zillion SW TW in a 5.5:1 and that ratio still isn't available over here.

The guys at Tackle Trap could get you squared away with a new handle if necessary.
    jdm is good, most of mine are direct from japanlure

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Add jiggerjake to the doofus hall of fame?
    Yes.thank you. No more multi-tasking for me.

12. Member
    To me, Steez sv tw was difficult to initially dial in. Been running Metaniums and wanted to try one. Didnt find much difference, till one windy day. Then the sv spool really seemed to shine, over time the diawa seems a touch more refined than the Met.

The small handle on the Steez is annoying, but upgradable. Just not cool to spend more money on a $500 reel

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by AgAuthority View Post
    To me, Steez sv tw was difficult to initially dial in. Been running Metaniums and wanted to try one. Didnt find much difference, till one windy day. Then the sv spool really seemed to shine, over time the diawa seems a touch more refined than the Met.

The small handle on the Steez is annoying, but upgradable. Just not cool to spend more money on a $500 reel

Ag
    Thanks

agree on the handle its interestingly small

The Tackle Trap has multiple options for a 90mm handle, which is ideal for this reel. One of the best, using the stock knobs and bearings, is a quality carbon fiber Daiwa handle that's 90mm and feels like what should have come on this reel from the factory. Here is the same handle that came on the Daiwa Zillion Type R without the handle knobs.

Daiwa 90mm carbon fiber handle arm

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronzefly View Post
    The Tackle Trap has multiple options for a 90mm handle, which is ideal for this reel. One of the best, using the stock knobs and bearings, is a quality carbon fiber Daiwa handle that's 90mm and feels like what should have come on this reel from the factory. Here is the same handle that came on the Daiwa Zillion Type R without the handle knobs.

Daiwa 90mm carbon fiber handle arm
    Thanks lots of good info from this thread so far, glad I asked. I dont think Ill be buying 90 dollar handles but maybe something larger than the 80mm.

16. Banned
    Another question if you guys dont mind, does the steez have brass or metal gears in it so I could use it for flipping if I chose without fear of gear explosion?

17. Member
    Another question if you guys dont mind, does the steez have brass or metal gears in it so I could use it for flipping if I chose without fear of gear explosion?
    It has a duralumin main gear and brass alloy pinion. Not ideal for flipping in my honest opinion.