Thread: Z185 Jackplate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z185 Jackplate

I am looking to install a manual jack plate on my Z185 with a G2 150. What size and what brand does everyone recommend without having to change anything. I also will be installing set of talons in the near future if that changes things.

I don't have any recommendations for your particular boat but was wondering why you wouldn't opt for a hydraulic vs a manual? Perhaps cost? I only ask as I just had a hydraulic JP installed earlier this week from a manual.

3. Member
    Cost is correct.

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I will also mention that hydraulic plates weigh significantly more than manual plates, and if adding dual talons to a Z185, stern weight will be something to watch. The G2 also doesn’t need any help getting on plane; a manual plate should do just fine.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    i called ranger, i have ethe Z118C, which is the same hull as you have. They told me they use 8" slidemaster. I looked around and found one slightly used for about $350 on BBC. Cost about $150 for the dealer to install. well worth it. the weight was not an issue at all, it helped performance and hole shot. best of luck.
    2016 Ranger Z518
    Mercury 150 HP Fourstroke

6. Member
    My z518 was ordered with a manual jack plate from the factory and it is a 4” slide master. The g2’s have a 4” built in set back so 4” is all you need. I am also running a single Talon using the jack plate mount.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

I just ordered a Z185 with a jack plate. Slidemaster 8’’ is correct.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    My z518 was ordered with a manual jack plate from the factory and it is a 4” slide master. The g2’s have a 4” built in set back so 4” is all you need. I am also running a single Talon using the jack plate mount.
    How does the single talon hold you boat.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead98 View Post
    How does the single talon hold you boat.
    you just remove the two bolts that you would loosen to adjust your plate and then mount your Talon Bracket (jackplate version, not sandwich) using the same holes. There is a small plate on the slidemaster that I believe you can remove when using the bracket. Mounting the Talon Bracket is a 10 minute job like this. Check with your dealer on what size plate you need. I could be wrong but the g2’s have built in set back and only need a 4” plate, not 8”.

10. Member
    I have a 2017 Z185 with a 6” slidemater manual jack plate, Merc 150 4s, and one 12’ talon so far.

My set up works well and easily on plane fast...if Etec G2 is as good as what I’ve heard, should be even faster.

11. Member
    I made a short on the water video a couple of weeks ago showing hole shot and a top end run with the talon. I have trouble posting pictures on this site let alone a video.

12. Member
    This post interests me, as I have a z185 with a g2 150 HO. Just curious what you ended up going with, as a 4,6, and 8 were all mentioned in the thread.

13. Member
    I would call Ranger and talk to their rigging department. They will tell you what they put on and what hole to mount it. When a friend of mine and myself installed jack plates Ranger told us both that they install a jack plate for the hole shot and idling out of shallow water. I installed mine on a Z118 at the dealer and my friend had his put on at the factory.

As mentioned, Ranger. Different motors have different built-in set backs and you need to get this right the first time. For a manual plate, I highly recommend the Slidemaster.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwalsh View Post
    I ordered from factory an 4" slidemaster is all that is recommended for the G2. It has a built in 4" and if you go bigger than 4" I believe it voids transom warranty...
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

16. Member
    Where is everyone getting there slide master from?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shovelhead98 View Post
    Where is everyone getting there slide master from?
    My dealer in Denver ordered mine from ranger today...

what benefits does a jackplate (manual) give you that not having one wouldn't ? I do not have one on my z185, but have pondered the pros to having one. (Wont be getting poles or a talon).

I ordered one to mount a power pole and my structurescan transducer. This way no holes in the boat...I am glassing in my 2d transducer.

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    I ordered one to mount a power pole and my structurescan transducer. This way no holes in the boat...I am glassing in my 2d transducer.
    Can you tell me who makes a transducer mount that mounts on a jack plate?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast