H51 Livewell Setup?

My brother just bought one of these, and called me asking how to plug the livewell? I haven’t seen it in person, but surely it has an open/close valve somewhere? Or do you have to plug it from the outside only? He’s pretty green to boats, thought I’d ask here as he claims he can’t keep fish alive.

Thanks for any input

2. Member
    In boat, looking toward motor, lower back left hand corner inside livewell there should be a drain hole...insert plug to hold water. Remove plug to drain livewell...
    1998 Xpress H51, 90hp Yamaha, 6" Vance JP, MotorGuide Xi3, Lowrance Electronics, Micro Power Pole...

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog44 View Post
    In boat, looking toward motor, lower back left hand corner inside livewell there should be a drain hole...insert plug to hold water. Remove plug to drain livewell...
    Yea I went and looked at it. He’s been plugging it from the outside the hull, so no fresh water. Told him he’d have to stick his hand in there every time he moved to plug it, then unplug to let fresh water in when he stops. Crappy system to say the least

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLAB View Post
    Yea I went and looked at it. He’s been plugging it from the outside the hull, so no fresh water. Told him he’d have to stick his hand in there every time he moved to plug it, then unplug to let fresh water in when he stops. Crappy system to say the least
    Aerator pumps fresh water in.
    Kirby Rogers
    2006 Xpress H51
    2006 Yamaha 90
    6" manual JP
    Powertech SS 17' prop
    Humminbird electronics
    47 mph gps

Aerator will pump in fresh water. It has an overflow so no worries about overfilling. No need to plug and unplug when moving.

6. Member
    My H17 aerator pump can fill the live well faster than he overflow can drain it. I am going to have to put a timer on mine so it doesn't overflow into the bilge when I leave the aerator on.